Jeans on "elegant" nights

The7Harrisons

"Most evenings we have a 'Cruise Casual' dress code but there are those 'Cruise Elegant' evenings one or two nights throughout the voyage where guests will have the opportunity to showcase their more elegant attire." 

It could be argued that since it says given the opportunity, it would be optional.  It could also be construed as meaning something else, but it does the have the opportunity.  

I personally have worn slacks and a polo, or better for formal nights on Royal (which is basically the same thing), and do follow the code, but know that others do not, and it really does not bother me at all.  I would rather others be comfortable (as long as they are clean and odor free).  I personally have more issue with people that smell like an ashtray or like they bathed in perfume or cologne than what they may be wearing.

This same argument keeps happening both here and on the RCI forums.  I just don't understand why people care what others are doing, and why people can't just mind their own business.  I also don't understand why the Cruise lines could not compromise and either have the late seating be strict, or divide the mdr in 2, and have one half have a dress code that is adhered to.  This would help alleviate the issue, and would help to gauge how many people actually care.  

22 hours ago, rukkian said:

"Most evenings we have a 'Cruise Casual' dress code but there are those 'Cruise Elegant' evenings one or two nights throughout the voyage where guests will have the opportunity to showcase their more elegant attire." 

It could be argued that since it says given the opportunity, it would be optional.  It could also be construed as meaning something else, but it does the have the opportunity.  

I personally have worn slacks and a polo, or better for formal nights on Royal (which is basically the same thing), and do follow the code, but know that others do not, and it really does not bother me at all.  I would rather others be comfortable (as long as they are clean and odor free).  I personally have more issue with people that smell like an ashtray or like they bathed in perfume or cologne than what they may be wearing.

This same argument keeps happening both here and on the RCI forums.  I just don't understand why people care what others are doing, and why people can't just mind their own business.  I also don't understand why the Cruise lines could not compromise and either have the late seating be strict, or divide the mdr in 2, and have one half have a dress code that is adhered to.  This would help alleviate the issue, and would help to gauge how many people actually care.  

From reading comments online here and other places, and from my own personal experiences, the problem I see is Carnival is terrible at enforcing their own rules. Jeans in the MDR is a perfect example as mentioned in this thread. Smoking isn’t allowed in cabin rooms or balconies, but every time I am on a cruise I see multiple people smoking on their balconies and often can smell smoke in the hallways outside certain cabins.  Staggered check-in is a great idea in my opinion to better control the flow of passengers on embarkation day. But Carnival isn’t strict about enforcing check-in times and even has a line designated for people who arrive outside their check-in time.  It’s pretty obvious Carnival doesn’t care about a lot of their own rules.  If this fact bothers you, it’s probably best to sail on another cruise line. I only see Carnival getting worse enforcing their own rules in the future. 

9 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

From reading comments online here and other places, and from my own personal experiences, the problem I see is Carnival is terrible at enforcing their own rules. Jeans in the MDR is a perfect example as mentioned in this thread. Smoking isn’t allowed in cabin rooms or balconies, but every time I am on a cruise I see multiple people smoking on their balconies and often can smell smoke in the hallways outside certain cabins.  Staggered check-in is a great idea in my opinion to better control the flow of passengers on embarkation day. But Carnival isn’t strict about enforcing check-in times and even has a line designated for people who arrive outside their check-in time.  It’s pretty obvious Carnival doesn’t care about a lot of their own rules.  If this fact bothers you, it’s probably best to sail on another cruise line. I only see Carnival getting worse enforcing their own rules in the future. 

It doesn't bother me, I just don't understand why others care what people wear.  The smoking thing is completely different.  If people are smoking in a place they should not, that can be a huge issue.  That does effect others around them, while what somebody wears does not.  

If I go to elegant night I wear suit if I feel like packing one, if I don't want to pack it I don't go to elegant night. But really it doesn't bother me what everyone else wears. On our recent cruise I probably took notice more since it is talked about here so much but it didn't effect our meal or enjoyment any at all to see people not following the guidelines.

On 10/29/2018 at 7:10 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

Please show me where the elegant night dress code is suggested?  The dress code clearly lists several items that are not allowed in the MDR to include jeans.  But like I posted previously in this thread, there is no doubt Carnival is moving towards appealing to a different customer base, which is why they don’t enforce the dress code (at least from my experience) nearly as much as they did a few years ago.  I think Carnival’s ideal ship of the future would be one with only Blue and Red cards on the cruise. 

Carnival has always been primarily focused on first time cruisers.  That and staging as many home ports in as many places so that potential clients can easily reach their ships.  That said, I see no correlation between that focus and relaxing dress code.  Carnival’s past effort of relaxing the recommended attire is due to what they think the majority of their cruisers want (I personally disagree with that, but they never asked me).  There are still some fight the good fight in maintains those standards, but it appears that the dark side will win.

38 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Carnival has always been primarily focused on first time cruisers.  That and staging as many home ports in as many places so that potential clients can easily reach their ships.  That said, I see no correlation between that focus and relaxing dress code.  Carnival’s past effort of relaxing the recommended attire is due to what they think the majority of their cruisers want (I personally disagree with that, but they never asked me).  There are still some fight the good fight in maintains those standards, but it appears that the dark side will win.

Thd problem is that they could easily give both sides what they want. The ships have multiple dining rooms, and they can just have an enforced dress code in one and not the others.

3 minutes ago, wytygr8 said:

It’s not about caring what people wear. It’s about caring that others are rude and disrespectful.

I don't care what it's wear.  It is not disrespectful if you don't care what others wear. Worrying about what others wear just just causes stress.  Worry about what you can change, and then you will not feel disrespected.  It really is not any of my business what others wear, and I don't see why anybody else cares either.

• Like 1

The biggest thing , that has been mentioned a few times, is Carnival doesn't enforce their own rules now. They should just eliminate the dress code/suggestions then.

Our last cruise we did see pax wearing basketball type shorts in MDR, which goes against the code. Not a word said. You can say it's a generational type thing if you want.

Too us older people , IT IS a lack of respect for rules.

This debate will never end, just shows the direction we are heading in.

I don't really notice what others are wearing. And I can state that I have never never never crawled under a table to inspect peoples bottoms for dress code violations. I but a NEW pair of jeans and a polo for the cruise. That by default makes them my very best clothes.

Last cruise we had a couple at our table that dressed to the 9s. He wore a tux, and she in a evening dress. The only distraction I saw in the dinning room was the fact that with that evening gown, her girls were out in full display. I couldn't concentrate in my dinner.

Even bad behavior is fun to watch if you have the right vacation attitude.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, wytygr8 said:

Thd problem is that they could easily give both sides what they want. The ships have multiple dining rooms, and they can just have an enforced dress code in one and not the others.

That is what they do on Norwegian Cruise Line, but NCL is freestyle dining across the ship so it's easier for them to split dining rooms based on dress code.  Carnival has both traditional seating and anytime dining so their dining rooms are already split up.  I'm not sure how they would work it unless both dining rooms include traditional and anytime dining.  I don't know the logistics of mixing the two in one dining room.  When we're on Carnival, my husband just takes a pair on long pants for elegant night.  It's not that big a deal for him (although he prefers shorts).

On 10/20/2018 at 10:06 PM, IntrepidFromDC said:

I don't think people on the coasts own or wear jeans any more.  They went out in the 90s.  People who live in the middle states are always catching up.  :classic_biggrin:

By the "smiley" at the end of you statement I hope that is in jest.... the pure mockery of people not living on the coast is insufferable to say the least.

Edited by bobsfamily

12 hours ago, rukkian said:

I don't care what it's wear.  It is not disrespectful if you don't care what others wear. Worrying about what others wear just just causes stress.  Worry about what you can change, and then you will not feel disrespected.  It really is not any of my business what others wear, and I don't see why anybody else cares either.

It’s not that it’s disrespectful to the other customers, it’s disrespectful to Carnival and the staff.

To be fair, not enforcing the rules you make is begging to be disrespected.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wytygr8 said:

It’s not that it’s disrespectful to the other customers, it’s disrespectful to Carnival and the staff.

To be fair, not enforcing the rules you make is begging to be disrespected.

Many people here act like they are personally disrespected.  If it is just the cruise line disrespected, then why would anybody here care?  That is between the cruise line and the customer disrespecting them.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, rukkian said:

Many people here act like they are personally disrespected.  If it is just the cruise line disrespected, then why would anybody here care?  That is between the cruise line and the customer disrespecting them.

It’s not just the cruise line, it’s the staff as well, and I can’t imagine not caring when you see others being disrespectful to people who are busting their rears for crappy wages.

According to the Elegant night dress code listed on Carnival's website, apparently I and a lot of others have been violating the dress code by wearing polo/golf/tennis shirts. Considering they are technically sportswear and not dress shirts. America has been dressing down and becoming more and more casual over the past few decades and what used to be considered casual/leisure wear is now be coming the dress/formal wear of today. So, if a polo/golf/tennis shirt is considered acceptable for elegant night, then why isn't a nice, clean pair of jeans?  

Capture3.PNG

Capture.PNG

Capture4.PNG

4 minutes ago, schazzy said:

According to the Elegant night dress code listed on Carnival's website, apparently I and a lot of others have been violating the dress code by wearing polo/golf/tennis shirts. Considering they are technically sportswear and not dress shirts. America has been dressing down and becoming more and more casual over the past few decades and what used to be considered casual/leisure wear is now be coming the dress/formal wear of today. So, if a polo/golf/tennis shirt is considered acceptable for elegant night, then why isn't a nice, clean pair of jeans?  

Capture3.PNG

Capture.PNG

Capture4.PNG

Polo/golf/tennis shirts aren’t acceptable either. The rules listed on their site is what’s acceptable. It’s actually minimum polo shirts on non-elegant nights.

4 minutes ago, wytygr8 said:

Polo/golf/tennis shirts aren’t acceptable either. The rules listed on their site is what’s acceptable. It’s actually minimum polo shirts on non-elegant nights.

Yes, I know, but if you ask people on here what to wear on Elegant night, most will respond with "You don't have to wear a suit, a polo shirt and khakis is fine" So, going by that benchmark, I'm asking why is that an acceptable disrespect for the rules, but jeans are not?

Here’s the deal.

when asked on this board, most people will get their knickers in a bunch over this.

In practicality, nobody (maybe 1 or 2), gives a rats patootie what anyone wears to dinner on the ship.

I used to care. Then, as I got older, realized there are more important things to be concerned about. What a person wears to dinner does not define that person or determine their social class.

Edited by klfrodo
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, schazzy said:

Yes, I know, but if you ask people on here what to wear on Elegant night, most will respond with "You don't have to wear a suit, a polo shirt and khakis is fine" So, going by that benchmark, I'm asking why is that an acceptable disrespect for the rules, but jeans are not?

Polo shirts are not listed under the not allowed rules , while jeans are listed as not allowed.  So anyone who wears a polo shirt to the MDR on elegant night is not breaking any of Carnival’s rules. 

1 hour ago, wytygr8 said:

It’s not just the cruise line, it’s the staff as well, and I can’t imagine not caring when you see others being disrespectful to people who are busting their rears for crappy wages.

At the end of the day I bet most staff care much more about the tips they are hoping to receive and not what people are wearing.

Bill

• Like 3