Jeans on "elegant" nights

The7Harrisons

9 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Polo shirts are not listed under the not allowed rules , while jeans are listed as not allowed.  So anyone who wears a polo shirt to the MDR on elegant night is not breaking any of Carnival’s rules. 

Polo shirts are not dress shirts, they are sportswear.

9 minutes ago, S.S.Oceanlover said:

At the end of the day I bet most staff care much more about the tips they are hoping to receive and not what people are wearing.

Bill

Exactly, the staff does not care what you wear, they care about tips and getting 10's.  I am sure many of them would rather not dress up either if they had a choice.

14 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Polo shirts are not listed under the not allowed rules , while jeans are listed as not allowed.  So anyone who wears a polo shirt to the MDR on elegant night is not breaking any of Carnival’s rules. 

It explicitly says dressshirts though.

Edited by wytygr8

1 minute ago, rukkian said:

Exactly, the staff does not care what you wear, they care about tips and getting 10's.  I am sure many of them would rather not dress up either if they had a choice.

They certainly care more about those things, and staff everywhere learns to tolerate rudeness, and some of them really don’t care, but there’s no question that a lot of them do care.

Ultimately, though, the people who violate the dress code aren’t really to blame for any of this. Carnival is. They need to enforce the rules or change them. Having undnforced rules just causes problems.

22 minutes ago, S.S.Oceanlover said:

At the end of the day I bet most staff care much more about the tips they are hoping to receive and not what people are wearing.

Bill

12 minutes ago, rukkian said:

4 minutes ago, wytygr8 said:

They certainly care more about those things, and staff everywhere learns to tolerate rudeness, and some of them really don’t care, but there’s no question that a lot of them do care.

Ultimately, though, the people who violate the dress code aren’t really to blame for any of this. Carnival is. They need to enforce the rules or change them. Having undnforced rules just causes problems.

In my experience from my interactions with them, the crew really cares more about making sure you enjoy your vacation, that you have a good time, and that you will leave your tips and leave good marks on the survey. They really don't care that much about whether you wear jeans and a polo shirt or you are trying to look like Gary Cooper when you go to dine in the MDR, they care mostly about you enjoying your dinner. 

Example, as I've shared on here before, on my first cruise in 2004, my friend and I had no idea really about dressing for dinner and were shocked when we get to this fancy dining room where everyone else in our group was waiting for us and they had dressed for dinner, and we felt very out of place still wearing the clothes we boarded the ship with and looked like shlubs. We apologized to our waiter profusely and said we weren't dressed appropriately and would dine elsewhere. He almost begged us to stay and have dinner despite our objections, he didn't care about our clothes, he cared about us having our dinner.

Since then I comply with the dress code, although I don't follow it to a T, I do try to look presentable while remaining in what I feel comfortable in, the collared shirt and khakis is the most you're going to get out of me, and from what I've seen on my past cruises, that's the most you're going to get out of most Carnival cruisers and it has appeared to me the crew is fine with that too. 

I made my argument about the rules to show how ridiculous it is to nitpick over what is elegant and what is not. If someone is wearing a nice pair of jeans and a nice shirt, that wouldn't bother me, at least they made an effort to look nice, and didn't come in a tanktop and basketball shorts.  

2 hours ago, schazzy said:

Yes, I know, but if you ask people on here what to wear on Elegant night, most will respond with "You don't have to wear a suit, a polo shirt and khakis is fine" So, going by that benchmark, I'm asking why is that an acceptable disrespect for the rules, but jeans are not?

I highly doubt any of the staff cares if you are wearing jeans on elegant night. If you're wearing a pair of clean, dark wash jeans without any tears or holes no one is going to say anything, and no one will notice once your legs are under the table. Heck, last year I saw a man with Caribbean braided chin hair on elegant night. 

In conclusion, don't draw attention to yourself and you will be fine.  

#1 it is Elegant night not Formal night (yes there is a difference)

#2 Depending on where you are from and your background, there are many more variances to what this could mean

#3 If you think what someone else is wearing effects your dinning experience, I feel sorry for you

#4 There are many 5 star restaurants in South Florida and you will see people dinning dressed from shorts to formal.... no one gives a rats... what anyone else wears

#5 The main reason Carnival still has this and hasn't done away with it (like NCL) is because of all the $$$$ they make off of the pictures

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Manatee Mom said:

#1 it is Elegant night not Formal night (yes there is a difference)

#2 Depending on where you are from and your background, there are many more variances to what this could mean

#3 If you think what someone else is wearing effects your dinning experience, I feel sorry for you

#4 There are many 5 star restaurants in South Florida and you will see people dinning dressed from shorts to formal.... no one gives a rats... what anyone else wears

#5 The main reason Carnival still has this and hasn't done away with it (like NCL) is because of all the $$$$ they make off of the pictures

your #5 is spot on.  RCI has photographers everywhere on formal night, and the lines are massive, and I am guessing carnival is the same.

Edited by rukkian

2 hours ago, Doggielover68 said:

I highly doubt any of the staff cares if you are wearing jeans on elegant night. If you're wearing a pair of clean, dark wash jeans without any tears or holes no one is going to say anything, and no one will notice once your legs are under the table. Heck, last year I saw a man with Caribbean braided chin hair on elegant night. 

In conclusion, don't draw attention to yourself and you will be fine.  

Exactly, most people don't even give a second look to someone in everyday plain clothing, but will notice and remember those who dress in clothes that stand out. And I have seen some in my time that have formal wear that can be just as inappropriate and sticks out just much as clothing that is shall we say, too casual. 

5 hours ago, schazzy said:

Yes, I know, but if you ask people on here what to wear on Elegant night, most will respond with "You don't have to wear a suit, a polo shirt and khakis is fine" So, going by that benchmark, I'm asking why is that an acceptable disrespect for the rules, but jeans are not?

I definitely agree that by that benchmark, jeans are fine.

2 hours ago, Manatee Mom said:

They can do that without wishy-washy unenforced rules.

Do some of you have things you enjoy about cruising like relaxing with a loved one, enjoying a sunset on the ocean, exploring warm sunny beaches, or are you all just some kind of perverts crawling under dining tables looking at shoes and legs? 

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Do some of you have things you enjoy about cruising like relaxing with a loved one, enjoying a sunset on the ocean, exploring warm sunny beaches, or are you all just some kind of perverts crawling under dining tables looking at shoes and legs? 

Omg why did this make me guffaw like a mad woman?? Some people really are this uptight and hyper focused on others.

I’m not here to miss a single solitary fleeting moment with my loved ones on a beautiful sea in this transitory life. I pray y’all can learn what real peace looks and feels like. It ain’t all this tomfoolery, I can tell you that!

And after all this I feel the need to pun on some things...

I’m white collar (lots of years in multi-billion $ F500 company experience, high upper middle class status) and our CEO’s wear jeans when it suits them no matter the “dress code”. It is not a status thing. Only poor (minded) people think clothes make the people. 

I’m from the mid-south and was educated by three different degrees (one of which, is my doctorate) from the Deep South. Manners? You mean the “Oh Bless your Heart” hypocrisy kind of manners? You can keep those. Eh. Sheeples.

I won’t be wearing jeans on “Elegant night”, because I don’t mind to dress up upon suggestion. But if you do, we can still clink glasses without judgement, prejudice, or ridicule. We will laugh at all the folks in the room eyeing us for our civility and social graces, and mock them for their snobbery. 

I’m 17 days away, my friends. I need y’all to lighten this mood pronto! 👏🏾👏🏾

Edited by niciediva007
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

No, never. Nor have I allowed my children to wear jeans, and they have been on 14 cruises, from the age of 2 to 22.  It is inconsiderate to others to wear them in the MDR. I have no problem with people wearing them on elegant night, just don't be tacky and wear them to MDR.  That just shows a lack or respect for others and the rules. And a lack of knowing what is or isn't appropriate.

On 10/24/2018 at 1:22 PM, CruisinCrow said:

NCL does have a dress code.  It's usually long pants in one of the main dining rooms and in the French restaurant.  No baseball hats during dinner.

I was in the dining room on NCL in the dining room that requires long pants and a collared shirt.  I saw a waiter ask a guest to please change his shirt as it was a t-shirt with some sort of cartoon on it with no collar.  I was surprised because I have never seen anyone turned away on any other cruise I have been on.

Candi

54 minutes ago, candigirl41 said:

I was in the dining room on NCL in the dining room that requires long pants and a collared shirt.  I saw a waiter ask a guest to please change his shirt as it was a t-shirt with some sort of cartoon on it with no collar.  I was surprised because I have never seen anyone turned away on any other cruise I have been on.

Candi

I saw them ask someone to remove his baseball hat.  I was surprised too.

1 hour ago, cruisemom67 said:

No, never. Nor have I allowed my children to wear jeans, and they have been on 14 cruises, from the age of 2 to 22.  It is inconsiderate to others to wear them in the MDR. I have no problem with people wearing them on elegant night, just don't be tacky and wear them to MDR.  That just shows a lack or respect for others and the rules. And a lack of knowing what is or isn't appropriate.

LOL, that’s funny stuff rat thurr!

• Like 1

I have seen a lot worse than jeans in the MDR.  I always wear slacks there.  I am not much one for putting on a suit Jacket for elegant night and a tie.  Unfortunately, it depends on how the wife dresses.  If she goes all out then I will match her.  My daughter loves dressing up, so when she is along i know i will be wearing a coat and tie.

23 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Really? Maybe you should grow a pair and talk to the person you have a problem with.

Or even better, myob and enjoy your vacation instead of worrying about what others are wearing.  I follow the rules, but have no problems if somebody else doesn't.  Would much rather have somebody wearing jeans (which doesn't effect me) than to be dressed up and wearing so much perfume, or who didn't bathe at all, so I have to plug my nose and then I can't taste my food.  Of all the things to potentially worry about on vacation, what some complete stranger is wearing is so far down my list, I just don't understand.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rukkian said:

Or even better, myob and enjoy your vacation instead of worrying about what others are wearing.  I follow the rules, but have no problems if somebody else doesn't.  Would much rather have somebody wearing jeans (which doesn't effect me) than to be dressed up and wearing so much perfume, or who didn't bathe at all, so I have to plug my nose and then I can't taste my food.  Of all the things to potentially worry about on vacation, what some complete stranger is wearing is so far down my list, I just don't understand.

I’m not the one you should be addressing.

6 hours ago, dabear99211 said:

If I saw you with jeans on in the MDR or Steakhouse on Elegant Night I would as I have several times in the past, ask the Hostess to have you removed from the MDR until you came back dressed accordingly.

The fact that you or anyone else would stoop to do this is absurd to me. 

What ever happened to kindness? What if the person you have removed is *this* close to the edge? Or is suffering from grief? Or is dealing with a mountain of other issues and is looking for one ray of sunshine in an unhappy life?

Don't forget in the middle of your selfish desire to control the atmosphere of everyone in the room that the grace or tolerance you exhibit can be a make or break moment for someone.

I cannot believe how human nature still has not evolved. Misery loves company. Blech. 🤮

Edited by niciediva007
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, dabear99211 said:

If I saw you with jeans on in the MDR or Steakhouse on Elegant Night I would as I have several times in the past, ask the Hostess to have you removed from the MDR until you came back dressed accordingly.

man, people sure make up some stupid stuff from anonymous keyboards....