Jeans on "elegant" nights

The7Harrisons

In my day to day life, I wear jeans all the time. period. I love jeans.

I was brought up to believe that manners were important, in fact they took precedence over everything else. Why? Because manners are how you show respect to other people. If you expect to be treated decently, you always show respect to others.

If going to the MDR, I will dress accordingly. I would consider jeans entirely non-appropriate.

Jeans would be fine at Pig and Anchor....

Why would you ask this question?

• Like 1

I don't understand how others dress impacts your vacation, but hey that's on each person.  We were on Carnival in the 1990's when the guy who was at our table showed up in shorts.  On formal night.  With his family. 
Once he sat down, no one knew he had shorts on.  🙂
I find it humorous that people get upset over what others wear.  And on Carnival yet....the fun ship. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

once again, thank you for the responses, and again, I was a little bored at work and was wondering how many people on Cruise critic wore jeans to MDR especially on Elegant night  and wanted to start a friendly banter about your thoughts, I have seen guests with baseball hats and basketball shorts in the MDR on elegant night, which LOL, I would not do but I don’t care if they do, like one of the above responses so rightly stated, what others wear does not affect my dining experience. the responses are appreciated and have become a little entertaining and I look forward to more! 

• Like 1

Nope, sure don't.  I think it's just lazy.  I'm about as far from pretensious as you can get but I do believe in following rules.  Tossing a pair of Dockers and a polo in your bag isn't difficult.  I wear slacks, shirt and tie.  We enjoy playing adult while we are on the cruise.  No one needs to, enjoy the other dining venues.  However as long as it's not gym shorts basketball jersey bad I don't care, doesnt bother me.  Wear jeans or cargo shorts and a T Shirt I could not care less.  Just don't be offensive and we will all be fine. 

• Like 2

I will confess to wearing pressed black jeans on elegant night in the MDR on many cruises. I always wear a dress shirt, sans tie, with a blazer and black dress shoes. No one has been the wiser. The last cruise on the Miracle the Bacchus dining room was so dimly lit I had trouble seeing the food on the plates! 

Miracle_Bacchus1.jpg

I freely confess this as someone who wore my tuxedo on Carnival, Cunard and Holland America during the 1980's and 90's. I don't miss my tux that's for sure. I will say I have never once worn blue jeans in any ship's dining room at dinner on an elegant evening.

• Like 2

You're not alone. I wear jeans and a polo. The main reason is because I don't dress up. For work I wear jeans/shorts and I have no reason to have anything other than jeans/shorts. I am not buying a pair of pants to wear for an hour or 2 each cruise. However making a new thread about it or making a big deal about it is something that I don't do. 

• Like 3

People are so spicy behind their internet keyboards. Sheesh. You’d think everyone on this thread owns Carnival stock. 🤦🏾‍♀️

If you’re the type to turn up your nose at someone on vacation walking into the MDR with jeans on, laughing and smiling with his/her family, then you, my friend(s) are too pious and self-righteous for your own good. Go buy a yacht, or better yet, since you can’t likely afford one (you’re sailing on Carnival, after all), just get over yourselves already. 

To answer the OP, my husband and I take every opportunity to dress up. We are fairly high maintenance individuals and with two kiddos in elementary school, we enjoy the pomp and circumstance. To each his/her own. Live and let live. 👌🏾🤘🏾🏾

Edited by niciediva007
  • Like 10

21 minutes ago, teknoge3k said:

You're not alone. I wear jeans and a polo. The main reason is because I don't dress up. For work I wear jeans/shorts and I have no reason to have anything other than jeans/shorts. I am not buying a pair of pants to wear for an hour or 2 each cruise. However making a new thread about it or making a big deal about it is something that I don't do. 

I’m in your boat. I wear jeans and a polo to work and never have a need for anything fancier in my everyday life. But I do have a pair of dockers and a long sleeve button up in my suitcase that I only wear on elegant night. 

28 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

I don't think people on the coasts own or wear jeans any more.  They went out in the 90s.  People who live in the middle states are always catching up.  :classic_biggrin:

So when the Red Sox are on I won’t see anyone in jeans? 40k people in dress pants?

5 hours ago, coevan said:

I have no idea, I don't think they have cruised in a awhile. i have not seen an officers party in years

So that would indicate YOU'RE the one who hasn't cruised in years, right?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I’m in your boat. I wear jeans and a polo to work and never have a need for anything fancier in my everyday life. But I do have a pair of dockers and a long sleeve button up in my suitcase that I only wear on elegant night. 

This is basically me as well.  I wear T-shirts and jeans almost every day on shore, and I wear them to the MDR on "cruise casual" evenings.  But it's not THAT big of a deal for me to pack one pair of dockers or slacks and a button-down or polo shirt, and I have no problem complying -- if barely 🙂 --  with Carnival's "suggestion" regarding "cruise elegant" attire.  

If Carnival, with a casually enforced dress-code, is the "Wal-Mart" of cruise lines, what does that make Norwegian, with freestyle cruising and, effectively,  no dress code at all?    K-Mart?   Dollar Tree?   Big Lots?    😄 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, The7Harrisons said:

once again, thank you for the responses, and again, I was a little bored at work and was wondering how many people on Cruise critic wore jeans to MDR especially on Elegant night  and wanted to start a friendly banter about your thoughts, I have seen guests with baseball hats and basketball shorts in the MDR on elegant night, which LOL, I would not do but I don’t care if they do, like one of the above responses so rightly stated, what others wear does not affect my dining experience. the responses are appreciated and have become a little entertaining and I look forward to more! 

lol.  Texas.  State of elegant jeans

• Like 2

My view is that Carnival's formal dining dress code is very much relaxed to the point on why push it?  I hate getting dressed up, but wearing khakis, an oxford shirt, and a tie was not hard all at.  Besides, the main course is usually the best one on the cruise (prime rib on the Imagination).  

Another plus is formal night tends to be less crowded as many prefer to skip it and eat in the lido buffet.

We did see shorts, and a basketball shirt.

Finally, many thanks to the female maitre d that checked me out from head to toe at the front desk on formal night.  Made my wife jealous but made me very happy later that night.  😉

Edited by 74hc

On 10/20/2018 at 8:47 PM, MaryZ said:

I don't understand how others dress impacts your vacation, but hey that's on each person.  We were on Carnival in the 1990's when the guy who was at our table showed up in shorts.  On formal night.  With his family. 
Once he sat down, no one knew he had shorts on.  🙂
I find it humorous that people get upset over what others wear.  And on Carnival yet....the fun ship. 

You don’t understand a desire for a particular ambience?

You don’t understand how someone can be bothered by another person selfishly ignoring basic etiquette, even if the clothes themselves don’t bother them?

You don’t understand how someone can go to what they expect is a fancy restaurant, but it turns out to be a McDonald’s inside? I’m cool with McDonald’s, but I’m not taking someone there on a date.

9 minutes ago, wytygr8 said:

You don’t understand how someone can be bothered by another person selfishly ignoring basic etiquette, even if the clothes themselves don’t bother them?

You don’t understand how someone can go to what they expect is a fancy restaurant, but it turns out to be a McDonald’s inside? I’m cool with McDonald’s, but I’m not taking someone there on a date.

Nope I guess I don't.  I'm sailing a Carnival ship.

So nope, wear whatever makes you happy.  I don't care.  I'm having fun. That's their motto.  The Fun Ship. 

It doesn't ruin my night.  If I'm wearing a fancy dress and you are wearing shorts, why should I care about you?  I don't know you.  Your outfit means nothing to me. 

So in other words....You are not important in my life for me to care what you are wearing.   You don't make an impression on me by your choice of clothing.  I am not interested in your perfect attire for your fake ambience.
Now you understand.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, wytygr8 said:

I guess some people are more laid back than others. Feel free to continue to side-eye, be grumpy about your neighbors choice of dining attire, and give much thought to what others are doing instead of taking in your own precious fleeting moments. Just leave the peace and zen to the rest of us.  This is where the phrase “Stay in your own lane” undoubtedly comes from. 

One cool thing is that if someone gets up in arms about another person’s fashion choices and decides to not mind their own business and instead escalate these trivial matters, the internet is oh so unforgiving these days and loves to make meme and hashtag examples out of people! I’d love to spend some time laughing my butt off at another #citizenpolice! 

On 10/20/2018 at 8:48 PM, riclop said:

Anything goes , it's Carnival.

Yep, although anything goes on Carnival, jeans will barely get you into the dining room during smart casual nights on some other lines. Luckily for me, Princess allows it, but they generally wouldn’t allow it on their formal night unless you visit a specialty restaurant.

Just now, MaryZ said:

Nope I guess I don't.  I'm sailing a Carnival ship.

So nope, wear whatever makes you happy.  I don't care.  I'm having fun. That's their motto.  The Fun Ship. 

It doesn't ruin my night.  If I'm wearing a fancy dress and you are wearing shorts, why should I care about you?  I don't know you.  Your outfit means nothing to me. 

So in other words....You are not important in my life for me to care what you are wearing.   You don't make an impression on me by your choice of clothing.  I am not interested in your perfect attire for your fake ambience.
Now you understand.

Agreed! And I’ll even slink by in my strappy heels and dress, gorgeous husband on my arm, beautiful kids in tow, and give someone a high five for doing what makes them happy. Now, who’s ready for fun?? 

• Like 1