Jeans on "elegant" nights

The7Harrisons

I only pack one pair of long pants for a cruise. I buy a new pair of jeans for the cruise and a new polo. This is my formal wear. I also were jeans and polo's to work, so they work into my closet after the trip. Do I feel under dressed? No. Have I worn a tie on a cruise? Yes, a long time ago. But vacation and dressing up just don't go together, from my perspective. (retired)

PS- the jeans and shirt are NOT from Walmart, but my underwear and socks are.

7 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

Yep, although anything goes on Carnival, jeans will barely get you into the dining room during smart casual nights on some other lines. Luckily for me, Princess allows it, but they generally wouldn’t allow it on their formal night unless you visit a specialty restaurant.

Royal is the same way as Carnival.  They don't care what you wear on elegant night.  I know, because just a 2 weeks ago I wore cargo shorts and a polo on elegant night.  It wasn't on purpose, our waiter didn't mention it to us the night before and we didn't catch it on the compass.  But we weren't going to go back and change and what not, so whatever.  The staff certainly couldn't care one bit.  These cruise lines are not in the business of creating altercations with their guests and elegant night is going the way of the dodo bird anyways.

On 10/20/2018 at 8:47 PM, MaryZ said:

I don't understand how others dress impacts your vacation, but hey that's on each person.  We were on Carnival in the 1990's when the guy who was at our table showed up in shorts.  On formal night.  With his family. 
Once he sat down, no one knew he had shorts on.  🙂
I find it humorous that people get upset over what others wear.  And on Carnival yet....the fun ship. 

Because rules matter to most civilized people....I am a blue collar worker, which is to say I sweat for my paycheck, but I would never walk in to a moderately upscale event in jeans...

That's just plain bad manners.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2018 at 3:10 PM, coevan said:

Are you bragging? 

I think he is just trying to get a rise out of everyone (and many people took the bait).  Of course anyone with any sense knows that jeans are casual and not suited for elegant night.  Saying that, if someone wants to stand out and wear jeans on elegant night in the dining room, then let them have the (shock value) attention they are seeking.

I dont wear jeans on a cruise but I have worn shorts on fancy night before.

Shorts and a polo shirt is perfectly fine for the dining room.

If anyone is bothered by what other people wear on their vacation maybe Cunard is where you belong instead of Carnival.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, MaryZ said:

Nope I guess I don't.  I'm sailing a Carnival ship.

I actually kinda agree with this.  There's just something about Carnival and the dark Joe Farcus interior designs that does not feel consistent with dressing formally.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MrFunInTheSun said:

With those nice jeans you can wear a nice shirt like this. Perfect for all occasions. Special occasions, weddings, funerals, birthdays or combos. 

4DCD3D4D-70C1-40D4-BB0F-97E9B286FB01_zps

LOL, I do have a tux t-shirt AND I have worn it in MDR, and a lot of people loved it! 

Eh, wear what you want.  A lot of women wear dresses that would be more suited for the red light district, and it has literally not killed me even once yet.  You could wear a hat, a zoot suit, or a burqa, and I guarantee that I would finish my meal happily, and then head on over to the bar with my wife for more fun.

It used to be, in days long since, that I could count on these threads to help me populate my ignore list.  Now it's an extra few steps.  Wish there were just "Dislike" buttons as well as "Like".  I think it would be VERY interesting to see.  Maybe I am just too used to Reddit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Don Kehote said:

Eh, wear what you want.  A lot of women wear dresses that would be more suited for the red light district, and it has literally not killed me even once yet. 

I gotta tell you, the thought of this HAS crossed my mind. We’re bringing our children for the first time and my son is only 9, our daughter 11. All I can hope and pray for is that the first time they see a thong, or a really form-fitting speedo, or super ginormous lady bits falling out are when they’re in their 20’s. Mid 20’s. I mean 30’s.

Yeah, that sounds right. 🙏🏾

Edited by niciediva007

I got some oceanfront property in Arizona

From my front porch in my elegant jeans

I got some oceanfront property in Arizona

If you'll buy that I'll sell elegant jeans for nearly free.

(generally, only people from pockets of TX, MS, AL, etc will get the reference, but for everybody else, it's a great song, yee haw!) 

Edited by IntrepidFromDC
  • Haha 1

I've seen dressed up people hootering an hollaring, cursing, sitting on their phones the whole time.  The clothes don't make the person.  Dress up if you want to, but don't look down on others for their clothes, because you can't "dress up" common sense and manners.  And that is what is mostly lacking in a Carnival dining room.  The clothes aren't the problem...

• Like 1

On October 22, 2018 at 8:29 AM, BNBR said:

Royal is the same way as Carnival.  They don't care what you wear on elegant night.  I know, because just a 2 weeks ago I wore cargo shorts and a polo on elegant night.  It wasn't on purpose, our waiter didn't mention it to us the night before and we didn't catch it on the compass.  But we weren't going to go back and change and what not, so whatever.  The staff certainly couldn't care one bit.  These cruise lines are not in the business of creating altercations with their guests and elegant night is going the way of the dodo bird anyways.

Actually some staff do care....

19 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Actually some staff do care....

I'll let you know when I find ONE.  As far as I could tell, they were more interested in providing stellar service and requesting 10's on the survey than risking their scores to chastise a guest who didn't realize it was formal night.  I walked past 30 staff including the maitre d' and nobody seemed to care one bit.  Just putting myself in their shoes... they want to serve their guests, they aren't interested in altercations over dress code in the slightest.