USA rule on wine

Renmar

42 minutes ago, Renmar said:

I am starting to realize that I have probably to disappoint my DW getting her favourite wine during this cruise, she will get over it. By the way, it was six 1 liter bottles :classic_wink::classic_wink::classic_biggrin:. I know,  only 3/4 liter bottles allowed but got away with it many times before out of Vancouver.

Oh well, we have to make a trip to the wine store when we arrive in San Pedro. There is a liquor store about 15 minutes away from the hotel we are staying where we can buy our 2 bottles. The rest we can buy in the ports in Mexico and try to "sneak" them on board or pay the $ 15.00 corkage fee.

Is it not silly to spends thousands of $$ on a cruise and then we try to save a few bucks on the wine :classic_rolleyes:. Nah, it is the sport of seeing if you can get away with it and it would also be nice to avoid those exuberant prices the cruise lines are charging.

Theo

While it's not usually a wise decision to disappoint one's wife, this may be an exception.  

I don't know if anyone has pointed this out but those who perform the check-in and security are not ship's personnel.  They work for the port.  It's not clear that your experiences in Vancouver would be a good measure of what you could expect in San Pedro.  Different country, different port, different personnel, and possibly much different rules and enforcement.

27 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

While it's not usually a wise decision to disappoint one's wife, this may be an exception.  

I don't know if anyone has pointed this out but those who perform the check-in and security are not ship's personnel.  They work for the port.  It's not clear that your experiences in Vancouver would be a good measure of what you could expect in San Pedro.  Different country, different port, different personnel, and possibly much different rules and enforcement.

I think port security may work at the directive of the cruise line.  I say this because of different experiences at the same port (Vancouver where  have only embarked on a cruise twice).

First time, it was a HAL cruise off season (Alaska season had ended) and this was the time (October 2014) when HAL was just starting to charge for anything over 2 bottles per cabin while they only charged for bottles bought to the dining room before then.  Port security tattle-tailed to the wine steward in charge of enforcement (and were enforcing it wrong for which the head wine waiter apologised for to me later.) who was waiting at the security station to keep count and charge.  I don't remember if there was another ship sailing that day so security had nothing else to do.

Fast forward to about the same time 2017 (where there was another cruise ship in port), security (and the line - Celebrity - apparently) didn't give a rip on what and how much alcohol was being bought on, and certainly weren't keeping tabs.  Part of the answer for this cruise line not caring was apparently most passengers had drinks packages and/or elite level complimentary drinks (both of which we didn't) so the line didn't feel the need to squeeze every single last penny.

One interesting thing about the Celebrity sailing was you were free to take your duty-free purchases with you when you bought them on the last day before the ship arrived at the final destination.  One could have run a nice little boot-legging operation by buying liquor and selling to passengers staying on (who did not have a drinks package).

8 minutes ago, cruising cockroach said:

I think port security may work at the directive of the cruise line.  I say this because of different experiences at the same port (Vancouver where  have only embarked on a cruise twice).

First time, it was a HAL cruise off season (Alaska season had ended) and this was the time (October 2014) when HAL was just starting to charge for anything over 2 bottles per cabin while they only charged for bottles bought to the dining room before then.  Port security tattle-tailed to the wine steward in charge of enforcement (and were enforcing it wrong for which the head wine waiter apologised for to me later.) who was waiting at the security station to keep count and charge.  I don't remember if there was another ship sailing that day so security had nothing else to do.

Fast forward to about the same time 2017 (where there was another cruise ship in port), security (and the line - Celebrity - apparently) didn't give a rip on what and how much alcohol was being bought on, and certainly weren't keeping tabs.  Part of the answer for this cruise line not caring was apparently most passengers had drinks packages and/or elite level complimentary drinks (both of which we didn't) so the line didn't feel the need to squeeze every single last penny.

One interesting thing about the Celebrity sailing was you were free to take your duty-free purchases with you when you bought them on the last day before the ship arrived at the final destination.  One could have run a nice little boot-legging operation by buying liquor and selling to passengers staying on (who did not have a drinks package).

No doubt that cruise lines can influence what port security does to an extent.  However, the variation you described only reinforces why OP should not expect his past experience to reflect the future.

We've seen quite a bit of variation at ports.  The first time we took six bottles aboard at PE, we had arrived early and the cruise line hadn't yet manned the wine table.  First, I was told by security that I could only bring two bottles and would have to leave the rest.  When I insisted that wasn't true, they brought the supervisor over who confirmed that on HAL I could take more if I paid corkage.  But, this person insisted that since ship's personnel weren't there to man the table, I would have to leave the four extra bottles there with a note of my room number.  They would be brought to me later.  I asked if she would be responsible if the wine was 'misplaced'.  I suggested I leave my cabin number, name, and the number of bottles at the table so the ship could bill me later.   She allowed me to proceed.  (If she hadn't I would have demanded ship's personnel.)

When we went to dinner that night, MDR wanted to charge us corkage because we did not have the appropriate stickers.  They relented after an explanation.   Went to the Guest Service the next day to straighten this out.  They gave me the four stickers.   I wasn't charged for the corkage.

1 hour ago, cruising cockroach said:

I hear you.  Last cruise (15 nt), my wife boarded in Vancouver first while I went to get forex.  She bought the 2 bottles on board and no one was checking so she sent me a SMS and I went to the LCB under the Sears Tower to get two bottles myself.  Smuggled two mickies of vodka onboard in Alaska and we made do without any other onboard drinks for the cruise.  Nice to have paid $0 other than for service charges and perhaps duty free booze at cruise end.[/quote]

What is forex?

SMS

and  

LCB?

Hard  to understand posts that are so full of abbreviations.

Could you kindly  translate, please ?

If it was only one I would google   but with this many   I think it okay to ask poster to translate  so   we can understand  hi s post.    

Next cruise is a 27 nighter all-inclusive so no need to buy any of our own.  Of course the per-day cost is 3.5x higher.

Edited by sail7seas

1 minute ago, sail7seas said:

What is forex?

SMS

and  

LCB?

Hard  to understand posts that are so full of abbreviations.

Could you kindly  translate, please ?

If it was only one I would google   but with this many   I think it okay to ask poster to translate  so   we can understand  hi s post.    

forex - foreign (i.e., currency) exchange  I think the term is well known to most outside the U.S.  There's a particularly-good place in Vancouver to get forex at low rates (or even gold and silver bullion if you so desire).

LCB is an abbreviation not well known outside Canada.  Liquor Control Board or really the government liquor store.

SMS = simple message service.  What we now know as text message.

43 minutes ago, cruising cockroach said:

Do people really  try to set up boot-legging operations on cruises?   And they wonder why   cruise lines  must enforce their rules.    So many things that simply would not occur to us. 

8 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

Do people really  try to set up boot-legging operations on cruises?   And they wonder why   cruise lines  must enforce their rules.    So many things that simply would not occur to us. 

It is possible if they are selling duty-free at the on-board duty-free store for pax to take away there and then, at least 2 days before some of the passengers disembarked.  Supply - by the cruise line - is all there and legal to buy.  It wasn't as if one was trying to smuggle it on board.  If I was staying on for he next cruise and knew someone who was getting off, I sure would ask them to buy duty-free for me.

There have been some comments, above, regarding the inconsistency of port personnel's knowledge of cruise lines' alcohol policies.  I am very familiar with the port procedures at San Pedro--the OP's port of departure.  I am only experienced in sailing Princess out of San Pedro.  So, my experience may or may not apply to the OP.

I always carry on some of my own wine when we cruise.  I have a pretty cool tote that I drag along that can hold up to 12 bottles.  Without exception at San Pedro, when the tote passes through the security scanner, a security agent will intercept it before I get to the other side.  He/she will unzip it just to verify that it does not contain prohibited substances--alcohol spirits or beer, presumably.  He/she will then direct me to a nearby table, staffed by Princess personnel, where I will sign a chit for corkage.

I am bothered a bit by the fact that OP's wine is bottled in 1-liter containers.  The Princess policy is pretty clear that 750ml bottles are the only ones allowed.  (I haven't even tried 375ml bottles.)  That may be problematic with either the security person or the Princess reps.

I think most, if not all, of us are aware of the policies by the cruise lines. However, a lot of times the policies are not enforced and most of us try to save a few dollars or do it for the sport to see if they get away with it.:classic_biggrin:

I for one would not feel too upset if they take my bottles away because the size being outside their policy. Each bottle cost me about $ 1.25 Can. ($ 1.00 US) to make so my total loss would be only $ 6.00 US. If we buy 8 bottles (6 liter) on board that would cost us at least $ 35.00 US for a total of $ 280.00 US and that is the cheap stuff, not nearly as good as our own wine. To me well worth taking a chance.

As mentioned before we know the policy of the cruise lines but have no idea what US customs rules are. That was the reason in the first place for posting and ask that question. I asked the question also by email at the US custom website and are waiting for an answer.

Thanks to all for providing a lot of information in this tread.

Theo

Again, Renmar, speaking to the inconsistency of lines' policy enforcement, I read here on Cruise Critic a post from a person who says he always brings on a 3l box (equivalent to four 750ml bottles) of wine for his wife and him to have in their cabin. He says Princess lets him pay corkage fee for two bottles and life is good.  I don't know what port he was sailing from.

So, again, I am finding this question fascinating and look forward to learning how you make out.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2018 at 2:26 PM, XBGuy said:

Again, Renmar, speaking to the inconsistency of lines' policy enforcement, I read here on Cruise Critic a post from a person who says he always brings on a 3l box (equivalent to four 750ml bottles) of wine for his wife and him to have in their cabin. He says Princess lets him pay corkage fee for two bottles and life is good.  I don't know what port he was sailing from.

So, again, I am finding this question fascinating and look forward to learning how you make out.

I received this information from TTB today. It looks like we can take those 6 bottles as long as we pay the tax etcetera which is not too much if what I have read here on CC.

TTB regulates.docx

Theo

On 10/21/2018 at 2:26 AM, Renmar said:

Sorry but it is the right question. Who said that the bottles are not sealed? Yes they will allow it as long as we pay the corkage fee, the bottles are properly sealed and properly labeled. We did this many times before when we were sailing out of Vancouver without us having to cross a border. Hence my question about US customs rule.

Theo

Sorry but it was the right question.  Some cruise lines restrict the amount of bottle you can bring on a cruise.  For example, Celebrity only allows two bottles per cabin upon embarkation.  None brought on at ports and the corkage fee has nothing to do with it.  There are many examples on the Celebrity  board of people bringing more and having to get the overage when the cruise is over.  

On 11/6/2018 at 3:13 PM, dkjretired said:

Sorry but it was the right question.  Some cruise lines restrict the amount of bottle you can bring on a cruise.  For example, Celebrity only allows two bottles per cabin upon embarkation.  None brought on at ports and the corkage fee has nothing to do with it.  There are many examples on the Celebrity  board of people bringing more and having to get the overage when the cruise is over.  

We are not sailing with Celebrity but with Princess hence the question was asked on the Princess board. Princess does allow as many bottles as one want to bring as long as one pays the corkage on anything over the 2 corkage free bottles. CC moved my question here, not my choice.

In the meantime we received the new list of wine available on the Princess ships and decided to go with one of their Chardonnays and purchase the Silver or Gold package.

Thanks to all who gave some useful info.

Theo

Theo

On 10/22/2018 at 12:08 PM, cruising cockroach said:

One other thing I forgot.  As we were walking out to disembark, we noticed unopened bottles of sparkling wines left outside (either Aqua or Conciege) cabins as the crew were cleaning.  We helped ourselves to a couple for our overnight in Narita.

I hope I misunderstand what you are saying.  If you are bragging about stealing, I think your CC user name is very appropriate.  

19 hours ago, Renmar said:

We are not sailing with Celebrity but with Princess hence the question was asked on the Princess board. Princess does allow as many bottles as one want to bring as long as one pays the corkage on anything over the 2 corkage free bottles. CC moved my question here, not my choice.

In the meantime we received the new list of wine available on the Princess ships and decided to go with one of their Chardonnays and purchase the Silver or Gold package.

Thanks to all who gave some useful info.

Theo

Theo

This is not the Princess board, enjoy your cruise

3 hours ago, dkjretired said:

This is not the Princess board, enjoy your cruise

I know that but if you would have read my post correctly you would have noticed that I mentioned that Cruise Critic moved the post from the Princess board to this board.This was during their website upgrading and not my choice. 

Thanks for the well wishing to enjoy our cruise, we sure will.

Theo