New Club Orange

Crew News

16 hours ago, sail7seas said:

For those who do not care about suite breakfast in Pinnnale, that is, of  , course fine.  However, many of us think it  one of the  best benefits of being in a Neptune.  For $50,  it  seems, HAL's money grab for  such small sum is dismissing  those who like the limited number of guests having breakfast each morning in Pinnacle.

If we want to go where there is a crowd, we can go to MDR or Lido.  We pay a great deal of money to avoid    that as  well as  for a few other amenities that attach to Neptunes and Pinnac le   suites.

Kindly   try to respect that   position .  🙂

Perhaps someone enlighten me that if you don't want to "where there is a crowd" you are not sailing on Silverseas, Azamara,

Regent, Oceania, Seabourne, Etc. where for the most part, all of these "Perks" are included.  Also if you compare HAL's number of smaller dining alternatives to MDR with Celebrity, NCL, RCL, etc etc, they are dead last.  Hal seem to have a "Ready, Fire Aim,  management style. It looks like the Club Orange dining room was thought of after the Club Orange concept was implemented. I have been in today's College and Hospital dining venues that look as good or better the above picture

I was trying to post from my iPad and I couldn’t get it to work- but I hit submit about 10 times, so if all my posts suddenly appear, I apologize.

what I was trying to say is that we had the Premium Wine Tasting in Club Orange yesterday.  The tasting was very good, but what I noticed was that half the people there were sitting sideways, as I was, to avoid being jabbed in the back by the curved wooden slats in the chairs.  I wouldn’t last long at breakfast or dinner!

On 12/14/2018 at 7:50 PM, canadianbear said:

It’s a perk I would miss not having breakfast in the Pinnacle where it’s nice,  quiet and relaxing.  

We have been talking about alternating between Neptune and Signature suites but also a regular balcony.  We have a Vista suite in February on the Koningsdam after being in their beautiful Signature suite last December.  In April we are back to a Neptune on the NA. After that we will have to decide if the Neptunes are worth it to us any longer.  I’m not liking some of the changes HAL is making but they are still my preferred cruise line, for now.  

Canadian bear,   It is in Pinnacle at breakfast that we met and would not have if it  had been crowded and noisy.  I so enjoyed meeting you both, it would have been my loss  to have missed  that opportunity.      

You  read my mind in what you said here in your post.  I am now in  the process of deciding if I want to book a particular cruise.  For the first  time in hundreds of cruises,  I am seriously thinking of giving up my Neptune in favor of a  Signature.  I would  have laughed if anyone had suggested that to me    I do not like what I see as very  negative  changes  to the   Neptune exper ience  I am a light drinker and   do not care ab out  a free drink but   i  CARE VERY MUCH they stopped the   t raditional welcome aboard party for Neptunes.   Especially now that  my dh has passed and I    travel as a solo. I w ant that party reinstated.    The afternoon nonsense thing they do in  the afternoon is a cheap, horrid, inconvenient substitute.   Are they now so  cheap they  refuse go continue a suite    traditional party.

They should be ashamed  the cutbacks are so severe.

BUT  Funny how they found the money  to waste on  meaningless change to the familiar HAL logo.       Run the 'dam'  HAL parties. 

Actually for someone to whom HAL was a very important of my  ( and my DH's life) , it is Not funny.

THEY can cut back?  Well, so can we,  The more They cut back,  the More I think I will, as well an I KNOW for sure I am not alone in that thinking.

Neptune is quickly becoming NO longer worth  the price.  IMO.

Edited by sail7seas
  • Thanks 1

I realize one has to hunt for information on the HAL website but can anyone direct me to the page which describes Club Orange?  Thank you to members currently on board providing valuable information.  So it is only Neptune Suite guests that access Club Orange on a complimentary basis or does this new offering extend to Signature Suite guests?  Has it been confirmed that the Pinnacle Grill suite-only breakfasts have been eliminated?  My questions are specific to the Nieuw Statendam as I have an upcoming voyage and I have not received any information about Club Orange.  Thank you in advance.

Edited by goldengatecruisers

On 12/13/2018 at 9:54 PM, terrydtx said:

Not a good sign for this new concept.

Had I been one of    the few at a table in an  empty restaurant on a ship.,   I would have gotten up  and  up and left.  :eek

Seems  this was rolled out extremely poorly.

Thanks you for  sharing comments and information about this dismal and  struggling  atempt to do what other crfuise lines did long ago aned

u quite succeessfullyh.

LONG ago it wa HAL that introuced LIdo as an agraction on cruise ships.  HAL, in  thos years as an inovator with g terrific understaning of  h chat cruisers liked and  wanted.   Recent years, it sems they have spent for more energy find ing things to   eliminate or  diminish in quality or quantity,

JMO

Edited by sail7seas

5 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

Had I been one of    the few at a table in an  empty restaurant on a ship.,   I would have gotten up   and left.  :eek

Seems  this was rolled out extremely poorly.

Thanks you for  sharing comments and information about this dismal and  struggling  atempt to do what other crfuise lines did long ago aned

u quite succeessfullyh.

LONG ago it wa HAL that introuced LIdo as an agraction on cruise ships.  HAL, in  thos years as an inovator with g terrific understaning of  h chat cruisers liked and  wanted.   Recent years, it sems they have spent for more energy find ing things to   eliminate or  diminish in quality or quantity,

JMO

Edited by sail7seas

16 minutes ago, goldengatecruisers said:

I realize one has to hunt for information on the HAL website but can anyone direct me to the page which describes Club Orange?  

One of the strange elements of this new venue for suite guests is that it’s NOT shown on the website, as far as I have been able to discern. However, the deck plan for NS now shows Club Orange where the culinary arts center was planned.

It first surfaced (at least to my knowledge) a couple of months ago in a Cruise Critic news article written by a writer who was invited to tour the almost-finished ship. Then some people booked on NS (not in suites) received offers to pay $50 per person per day for this and some of the other suite benefits. It also had a mention in Captain Albert’s Blog, and in a HAL press release. 

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/holland-america-line-debuts-new-club-orange-program-with-exclusive-benefits-and-premium-amenities-that-enhance-the-cruise-experience-300748469.html.

A person currently on board in a suite said here that the Pinnacle Grill is no longer a breakfast option for Neptune and Pinnacle passengers.

We’re in a NS Neptune Suite in April but have had no communication about these changes.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

On 12/13/2018 at 10:36 PM, TiogaCruiser said:

Maybe HAL will flip things and give Suites and Club Orange the MDR, and everyone else what is now CO.:classic_laugh:

I agree about thoe s ridiculous  c hairs.

The place looks like  Lido, 

Thank you Caribbean Chris.  I am sure, like most things, we will have to continue to rely on our fellow travelers to provide us with accurate information.   It certainly seems to be a missed opportunity on the part of Holland America to make this an attractive suite benefit.   They only have to look to Celebrity to learn a few pointers.  It makes no sense at all to have a 'pay your way' approach to the Club Orange offering. It completely takes away from the suite experience.  Strange that there is no official information on the website.

On 12/13/2018 at 10:39 PM, dfish said:

The only reason I would pay for a suite is for the space.  The rest is window dressing.

YOU    are correct. 

They are doing all possible to get rid of fulll paying  Neptune guests. 

Do they think  through any of  this?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, goldengatecruisers said:

Thank you Caribbean Chris.  I am sure, like most things, we will have to continue to rely on our fellow travelers to provide us with accurate information.   It certainly seems to be a missed opportunity on the part of Holland America to make this an attractive suite benefit.   They only have to look to Celebrity to learn a few pointers.  It makes no sense at all to have a 'pay your way' approach to the Club Orange offering. It completely takes away from the suite experience.  Strange that there is no official information on the website.

You are welcome, and I agree that it is a missed opportunity. Also agree about the $50 per day approach not making sense!  

I always have loved HAL for many reasons and continue to do so, but for the past four years since Celebrity introduced Luminae/Michael’s Club, my husband has enjoyed very much the luxury experience of being X suite guests (and by the way, we have always only booked the least expensive, entry level Sky Suites, not the higher end). So we compromise and sail on both lines most years. 

29 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

YOU    are correct. 

They are doing all possible to get rid of fulll paying  Neptune guests. 

Do they think  through any of  this?

I 100% agree Sail.  We also book only NS but are starting to think the same thing. Sadly after hitting 4 stars we are starting to look at other lines.  We haven't hit final payment time yet on our 2019 cruises.

One would think that instead of wondering why they are having to take a fraction of the money with up-sells for NS they would look at why people are more and more unwilling to pay full fare for a little more space and a coffee machine in NL.  Other lines offer unlimited specialty dining and premium beverage packages to suite passengers (and seem to sell out early on many sailings).  MSC Yacht Club Butlers meet each passenger at the curb at the terminal and walk them to their suite. Yes- their fares are higher but obviously since they sell out so often people will pay more if it is worth the money.

Interesting that Koningsdam and NS have 10 less NS than the Amsterdam. Seem like they are trying to morph into a slightly upscale Carnival.

It feels like someone at HAL decided that HAL needed to catch up to the competition suite offerings and was told OK but you can't spend any money to do it. As a result NS passengers got themselves the "Denny's at Sea" with tablecloths (only at dinner I from what I have seen).

I started on HAL in the early 80's in my early 20's- getting sadder and sadder

Edited by frankc98376

On 10/26/2018 at 4:38 PM, OlsSalt said:

Sounds too much like Code Orange: medical disaster, radioactive spill, bomb threat, violent mental patient loose. 

My late DH having been a Viet Nam combat veteran.................  WERE I to d dine in  that  Club Orange   Room, I \would think of AGENT Orange the whole meal.  :eek:

Indigestion

Edited by sail7seas

22 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

You are welcome, and I agree that it is a missed opportunity. Also agree about the $50 per day approach not making sense!  

I always have loved HAL for many reasons and continue to do so, but for the past four years since Celebrity introduced Luminae/Michael’s Club, my husband has enjoyed very much the luxury experience of being X suite guests (and by the way, we have always only booked the least expensive, entry level Sky Suites, not the higher end). So we compromise and sail on both lines most years. 

We are trying Celebrity for the first time in March after being loyal to HAL.  On Celebrity we’ve booked a suite and all the perks attached sound amazing, so much more than HAL.   

1 hour ago, frankc98376 said:

I 100% agree Sail.  We also book only NS but are starting to think the same thing. Sadly after hitting 4 stars we are starting to look at other lines.  We haven't hit final payment time yet on our 2019 cruises.

One would think that instead of wondering why they are having to take a fraction of the money with up-sells for NS they would look at why people are more and more unwilling to pay full fare for a little more space and a coffee machine in NL.  Other lines offer unlimited specialty dining and premium beverage packages to suite passengers (and seem to sell out early on many sailings).  MSC Yacht Club Butlers meet each passenger at the curb at the terminal and walk them to their suite. Yes- their fares are higher but obviously since they sell out so often people will pay more if it is worth the money.

Interesting that Koningsdam and NS have 10 less NS than the Amsterdam. Seem like they are trying to morph into a slightly upscale Carnival.

It feels like someone at HAL decided that HAL needed to catch up to the competition suite offerings and was told OK but you can't spend any money to do it. As a result NS passengers got themselves the "Denny's at Sea" with tablecloths (only at dinner I from what I have seen).

I started on HAL in the early 80's in my early 20's- getting sadder and sadder

Sails is so correct!!!!

So we have NS on the Rotterdam sailing San Diego to FLL Panama cruise!! It’s in 3/2020

but with this dam Club Orange NO Pinnacle breakfasts? We so love the quiet times at PG for breakfast!, 

The pics of CO are awful IMO and I feel I’m at a cafeteria style place! 

After we get off The Rotterdam will be going on Oceania in a PH concierge with all perks 

on a TA to the Med, and don’t feel guilty changing ships now! As a 4 star which took us awhile to attain now seems like we’re getting the shaft😒 HAL if your listening take heart to all of your loyal members!

WE ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE MADE YOU SUCCESSFUL.

As a retired DDS what made me successful was my loyal patience’s!

Denise😊

• Like 1

In a recent conversation with our TA we were talking about this CO. They agree with all of us that are complaining for the same reasons. I mentioned that it could be a good idea to put in their two cents to HAL on behalf of all their loyal HAL clients like us and said that they have and our TA has a lot of clout with HAL. My mom and I are 5 Star Mariners and like others it took time and money to earn  that recognition as we also have out 700 day platinum medallions in which we are over 800 days currently. Some of the CO amenities are things we already get for being 5 Star Mariners and we are not paying extra to get them.  No that dining situation does not look comfortable and taking away PG part of it for breakfast is robbery. There are times when people get all the extras they get for being in higher level suite that those things should be just for them. That's why they pay extra to have them. Will be interesting to see what happens over time. 

1 hour ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Sails is so correct!!!!

So we have NS on the Rotterdam sailing San Diego to FLL Panama cruise!! It’s in 3/2020

but with this dam Club Orange NO Pinnacle breakfasts? We so love the quiet times at PG for breakfast!, 

After we get off The Rotterdam will be going on Oceania in a PH concierge with all perks 

on a TA to the Med, and don’t feel guilty changing ships now! As a 4 star which took us awhile to attain now seems like we’re getting the shaft😒 HAL if your listening take heart to all of your loyal members!

YOU so  get it , Denise.

They may be  thinking we are yesterday's news but it is rather  short sighted to not see   that we who are retired, have always booked Neptunes, have funds   and the time  to continue to sail  and live  the  way we have lived for ou r whole   careers.  Is our money no longer welcomed by HAL?  If SO, no problem.  Just come out and say so instead   of  'getting rid of us"  one cut back, one insult and one diminishment of  the HAL Neptune S uite experience at a  time.  We'lll wave bye-bye and they will sail away without us.   They have ADDED nothing of value to Suites  for so long, I have no memory of when but I have a clear memory of a  great many  cutbacks and shaing of amenities we pay dearly for to some of  those who do not stay  in Neptunes.  I am not going to be a fool and pay for things that offer me no value  Free Mariner laun dry is the same as free Neptune laundry.

I am supposed to   advise ,  this week,  if I am going to book a particular cruise      A Neptune is being held for me, BUT .....

I don't quite feel like I am sure it is 'worth it' anymore.  I will not  give up Pinnacle breakfast to eat  in  "Agent Orange."

I'll have to confirm about that.

Edited by sail7seas

9 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

YOU so  get it , Denise.

They may be  thinking we are yesterday's news but it is rather  short sighted to not see   that we who are retired, have always booked Neptunes, have funds   and the time  to continue to sail  and live  the  way we have lived for ou r whole   careers.  Is our money no longer welcomed by HAL?  If SO, no problem.  Just come out and say so instead   of  'getting rid of us"  one cut back, one insult and one diminishment of  the HAL Neptune S uite experience at a  time.  We'lll wave bye-bye and they will sail away without us.   They have ADDED nothing of value to Suites  for so long, I have no memory of when but I have a clear memory of a  great many  cutbacks and shaing of amenities we pay dearly for to some of  those who do not stay  in Neptunes.  I am not going to be a fool and pay for things that offer me no value  Free Mariner laun dry is the same as free Neptune laundry.

I am supposed to   advise ,  this week,  if I am going to book a particular cruise      A Neptune is being held for me, BUT .....

I don't quite feel like I am sure it is 'worth it' anymore.  I will not  give up Pinnacle breakfast to eat  in  "Agent Orange."

I'll have to confirm about that.

Sails !!!!!! 🥰 LOVE IT! “AGENT ORANGE”

LOL... Both my husband David and I both said the same thing👍👍

You know Sails I don’t understand for the life of me what HAL thinks. 🤦‍♀️ 💰 is the key get it, but taking away from dedicated mariners who have spent a lot over the years and hummmm.....  “some giveth and some take away” HAL is taking all away.

Happy Holidays to you my dear!

only you can decide on your cruise. We have decided smaller ships are for us. Not HALs new ones for us!

Denise:)

4 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Sails is so correct!!!!

Denise😊

Bolding is mine.  Denise, if this is your first O cruise, please don't think there are a lot of perks with the PH.  they are few.  And do book your specialty restaurants as soon as they become available on line.

By all means, let HAL know how you feel about losing the PG for breakfast.  I think and hope that if they hear from enough people that the PG will (and should) remain for Suite guests.

The more that speak up, the more they will listen.

Hi Jacqui!!

yes this is our first O cruise! We booked our cruise from your wonderful blog you did several years ago when you were in a PH on her. 

With our booking we received free WiFi, beverage package which we will up grade to premium, laundry service, OBC $800.00, 

We will book specialty restaurants as soon as they open up. We got a credit also for not using the round trip airfare which was included. So maybe things were different when you sailed? Who knows we might not like O !! Will have to see. All I know I have always been a die hard to HAL and I’m sad what is going on. Will just have to see.

Happy Holidays to you and José too!

Denise😊

39 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Hi Jacqui!!

yes this is our first O cruise! We booked our cruise from your wonderful blog you did several years ago when you were in a PH on her. 

With our booking we received free WiFi, beverage package which we will up grade to premium, laundry service, OBC $800.00, 

We will book specialty restaurants as soon as they open up. We got a credit also for not using the round trip airfare which was included. So maybe things were different when you sailed? Who knows we might not like O !! Will have to see. All I know I have always been a die hard to HAL and I’m sad what is going on. Will just have to see.

Happy Holidays to you and José too!

Denise😊

Hi Denise,

those "perks" are included in the cruise fare and as far as I know have nothing to do with being in the PH.  (For HAL cruisers who have not been on O, this is not the Pinnacle Suite on HAL - but closer to the Signature suite on HAL - much more nicely laid out though 😉

The PH beenies are being able to book speciallty dining early on line and having a butler (which is pretty meaningless in our case - other might find it beneficial but ours did nothing for us other than bring me hot water at night).  The concierge lounge is rarely manned and not a lot of help.  You end up going to the front desk or whereever for what you are trying to get done.

Lots of people love O.  We might have been on the wrong ship at the wrong time but for sure certain long time O cruisers cancelled all their future cruises.  

I really hope you have a great time on board.  😄  and enjoy the cruise 🙂

sorry to repeat.  CC wasn't posting for me and didn't realize when I switched to my laptop that one had gone.

We’re in a NS suite on Zaandam for 1/8/19 sailing. Will there be breakfast in PG or will they move us elsewhere. The more sedate breakfast venue is one of the main reasons we book Neptune’s. I’ve been getting disappointed with HAL recently and this will likely push us away.

33 minutes ago, kazu said:

Hi Denise,

those "perks" are included in the cruise fare and as far as I know have nothing to do with being in the PH.  (For HAL cruisers who have not been on O, this is not the Pinnacle Suite on HAL - but closer to the Signature suite on HAL - much more nicely laid out though 😉

The PH beenies are being able to book speciallty dining early on line and having a butler (which is pretty meaningless in our case - other might find it beneficial but ours did nothing for us other than bring me hot water at night).  The concierge lounge is rarely manned and not a lot of help.  You end up going to the front desk or whereever for what you are trying to get done.

Lots of people love O.  We might have been on the wrong ship at the wrong time but for sure certain long time O cruisers cancelled all their future cruises.  

I really hope you have a great time on board.  😄  and enjoy the cruise 🙂

sorry to repeat.  CC wasn't posting for me and didn't realize when I switched to my laptop that one had gone.

I had lovely   amenities when I was in Penthouse Suite on NCL, Den.  It as a big   cabin and sdedeing I sailed solo with friends in their nearby suigte). I had a ton of room.  I had  concierge,  inluded full  free beverages. shipboard credit and butler (who, unlike on "X" was actually goo d helpful.  I paid the "X" butler  to go  away and not bother us  unless we called him.  He was useless and  annoying.  I also had 'included automatic gratuities.