Upsell

lbfluffy

We usually book interior and I keep track of the differential between what I paid and cheapest balcony price. Periodically I note the difference because it can change. If an upsell is offered, I will accept it if it is at least half of what it would have cost me initially. Most times the upsell is even better. On a cruise I paid $1000 pp, paying $2000 pp for a balcony doesn’t make sense TO ME. On our last Hawaii cruise we were on a waiting list for an upsell and did receive it two days before we left. It was a quarter of what we would have paid for a balcony over the interior when we booked, so we happily grabbed it. It’s a game that I enjoy playing but you must be well prepared to get the best results. 

not an upsell, but when we booked the SKY for the little 3 day inaugural, I first booked an interior as usual, but then the next day we decided to 'upgrade/upsell' ourselves to  balcony across the hall for $ 100pp for the 3 days.

that was about at MY max for the change from interior to balcony

On 10/27/2018 at 9:00 PM, racj846 said:

Thinking we might be on the same cruise - Grand Princess out of SFO?

Late August booked a Gty cat IF and about 6 weeks ago was assigned cat IA on Caribe.  Received a $129 balcony upsell offer this past Friday initially offering a balcony on Aloha. Not our favorire deck so asked if anything available on Caribe.  Yes they said - I took it.  Total cruise, cost excl taxes etc, works out to $77/day/person. 

Yes Dec 3rd. Why don’t you like Aloha deck? We love the Terrace pool and it’s close to that pool.

On 10/27/2018 at 11:14 AM, 1emerald1 said:

For your upsells, can you tell me what ships you were on and the destinations?  Thanks so much.

Coral for a full Panama cruise

Pacific for a TransAtlantic

Leaving for a 20 day Eastern/Southern Caribbean in a few weeks

I got the call to upgrade from OV obstructed to a balcony for $199/pp. I said yes and took B405. After reading the upgraded room info it says upper berth and connects to 409. Can anyone tell me if that affects moving about in the room. It’s not sounding as good as I envisioned.

Penny

On 10/27/2018 at 2:45 PM, lbfluffy said:

My name stands for LB meaning the town I live in Los Banos and fluffy for my curly hair. I had a former boss that called me fluffy. 

Ha ! All this time I thought the first letter was 'I' and so 'I be fluffy' 🙂

On 10/27/2018 at 5:18 PM, Working 2 Cruise said:

I did accept an upsell offer for my upcoming 14 night Caribbean cruise which I considered a great deal... $179 per person, inside to balcony Lido deck on Caribbean Princess.  Very happy!  One Ultimate Balcony Dinner coming up!

That is an amazing offer.  When are you sailing?

8 hours ago, Desert Kitty said:

I got the call to upgrade from OV obstructed to a balcony for $199/pp. I said yes and took B405. After reading the upgraded room info it says upper berth and connects to 409. Can anyone tell me if that affects moving about in the room. It’s not sounding as good as I envisioned.

Penny

I've never heard of an upper berth that affects movement in the cabin unless it is down--and I'm assuming you won't be using it.  Connects to a room only means there is a door that could be opened, if you were traveling with others, for instance, to an adjacent room.  Many cabins have upper berths that can be let down if needed, otherwise they are almost flat to the ceiling or wall.

It is possible that a room with connecting doors might have some sound leakage from the other room, but we have been in those rooms and have not had a problem.

9 hours ago, Desert Kitty said:

Penny

It's a balcony so the upper berth will be recessed into the ceiling. If it isn't being used the only way you will know it's there is by the outline on the ceiling.

Aloha deck - some cabins can be noisy from Pool deck above - crew moving furniture - etc.

Some cabins - usually insides - the upper berths are mounted to the wall and protrude 6-8" - so if you have the bed made up as a queen you have these metal blocks sticking out from the wall down the bedsides.