Will I be able to transfer reservation?

Seahawkie

We'll be on Adventure of the Seas next month to the Caribbean, and our extended family are planning an Alaska cruise (on Ovation of the Seas) in July 2019 for our parents' 60th anniversary.   With the current BOGO 60% off on 2nd passenger, we're thinking of booking cabins now to get the sale.  Here are my questions:

1. If we were to book the rooms now via an agency (not through RCL), what if in November we find a better deal while onboard.....can we transfer the reservation from the agency to RCL?  What are my options in getting the best deal for our family of 5?

2. Is $1450 (tax included) a good price for a balcony w/ obstructed view cabin?  (7 days Alaska)

Thank you.

This depends on the agency and if they will give up the reservation you've booked with them and or charge you a fee.

Any reason you don't just book with RCI and then decide if you want to transfer it to an agency later ?...It seems like this is usually the way it's done.

Even if the agency agreed to transfer the reservations back to Royal (a long shot) those reservations would still be useless to book on board.  To get any of the additional OBC for booking on board the reservation MUST be created on board.

The best way to aproarpch this is to book a refundable deposit cruise now with your travel agent.  If there is a better deal on board then create a new booking on board and then cancel the original booking with the travel agent.  You could then transfer the new booking to the travel agent if they are offering any additional perks.

The $1450 with taxes in is a good price.  Without taxes the lowest prices are the couple weeks in September at $1350, the last couple of sailings in August are $1399 and then it jumps to $1499 and goes up from there.  These prices were from Royals website.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

What do you mean "better deal on board".  If you find a lower price for your present cruise, your TA should be able to get it for you.  If you find a different itinerary, you still need to cancel and rebook and depending on the type of fare you may incur cancellation fees. 

19 minutes ago, nelblu said:

What do you mean "better deal on board".  If you find a lower price for your present cruise, your TA should be able to get it for you.  If you find a different itinerary, you still need to cancel and rebook and depending on the type of fare you may incur cancellation fees. 

OBC for onboard booking.

7 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Those may apply to new bookings.  Maybe Bob or Merion Mom will clarify.

You are correct, it has to be a new booking made on board to get OBC from booking on board.

Thank you all so much for the clarifications.  I'm still considered myself a newbie at cruising so laying out the details helped me tremendously.   I am planning to book a refundable fare, so I should be good in cancelling reservation without worry about the $100 pp penalty, correct?  

5 minutes ago, Seahawkie said:

Thank you all so much for the clarifications.  I'm still considered myself a newbie at cruising so laying out the details helped me tremendously.   I am planning to book a refundable fare, so I should be good in cancelling reservation without worry about the $100 pp penalty, correct?  

Ye, unless you book via a TA which may not/have any cancellation fees.

9 minutes ago, Seahawkie said:

Also be aware that Grand Suites and better all have non-refundable deposits.

2 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Dummy booking panoramic OV cabins for fall 2019 -- the BOGO fares that came up were marked NON REF... 

I was going to ask here on CC/RCI if calling would get me refundable prices, and what they might be.

They have moved the refundable option on the web booking to right before you enter payment information - on the same screen as selecting prepaid gratuities. You can still see the refundable price for a particular sailing by going through the whole booking process, entering passenger details, etc - if it asks you for a credit card number you've gone one step too far. 

I can’t say this is accurate for every single RCI cruise but I just booked one a few days ago and found the fees involved in cancellation issues on the RCI cruises we were considering were  pretty much a wash no matter which type of booking we would have chosen – noncancelable or a higher priced cancelable booking. The prices were running about $100 pp less for a non-cancelable booking than for those that were cancelable. So it was pay RCI $100 per person more for a cancelable booking or lose $100 per person for cancelling  a non-cancelable booking. These are charges levied by Royal Caribbean.  There may be additional cancellation fees charged by the agency you booked with for either type of booking.  Taking that into account,   There really isn’t anything saved by paying that cancelable higher price. However there is a chance that a cancelable booking will save a little money  if you don’t end up canceling it. (if I am missing something with this reasoning, someone please set me straight.)

Either way a cruise must be canceled prior to the final payment date. If it could be canceled all the way up until a few days before the cruise, the cancelable rate would be be more attractive. 

Edited by mlbcruiser

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

Dummy booking panoramic OV cabins for fall 2019 -- the BOGO fares that came up were marked NON REF... 

I was going to ask here on CC/RCI if calling would get me refundable prices, and what they might be.

Some Panoramic OV's are full suites now. Not sure of exact name now.  Big ones in the corners