Carnival announcement expected 13 Nov 2018 (per John Heald)

ProgRockCruiser

21 hours ago, wytygr8 said:

No, that’s worse food with no service. Being intentionally obtuse doesn’t help anything.

Interesting comment, in light of all the folks here that complain the MDR offers food no better than Lido dinner buffet.

(And I will agree that the Lido dinner menu does have a lot in common with the MDR, which since I enjoy the MDR meals so much, I don't see why folks would complain...)

Edited by ProgRockCruiser

8 minutes ago, jeff92k7 said:

And the first announcement....  A "Big Chicken" restaurant on the Carnival Radiance.  Brought to you by the world renowned chef and food expert... Shaquille O'Neil.

I thought this was a joke.  It's not.  Shaking my head.  Basically they are adding a Bojangles to the ship.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, trvlgirlmq said:

I thought this was a joke.  It's not.  Shaking my head.  Basically they are adding a Bojangles to the ship.

11 minutes ago, trvlgirlmq said:

17 hours ago, jeff92k7 said:

Sounds like there will be multiple announcements this week.

It's a chicken sandwich

Heralds%20with%20trumpets%201.jpg

Edited by sanmarcosman

8 minutes ago, trvlgirlmq said:

Living in the north where we dont have Bojangles, I would love to have one on the boat.  I eat it there every time I go down south.

3 minutes ago, robc1972 said:

Living in the north where we dont have Bojangles, I would love to have one on the boat.  I eat it there every time I go down south.

I live in the South and we do have one in my city but I have never eaten there.  I don't really care for heavy fried food though.  Must be my California upbringing :)

On 11/10/2018 at 9:34 AM, bigdog1958 said:

Because some people would rather not dress up on vacation.  No one is stopping people who want to dress up, but why 

make everyone do it, just because some want to..  

Why does it have to be extreme the other way though? It’s not actually hard to accommodate both. They have multiple dining rooms per ship.

22 hours ago, robc1972 said:

I find it amusing that so many appear to base their cruise vacation on the loyalty perks offered by the cruiseline.

I base my cruise on destination, ship and price.

What I get from the cruise line as a "perk" other than a fun vacation is never even entered into the mix in the decision process.

Why would that be amusing? That’s the entire reason that loyalty programs exist in any industry.

2 minutes ago, wytygr8 said:

They have multiple dining rooms per ship.

John Heald has said several times in the past it is not operationally feasible for Carnival to designate one MDR elegant and one MDR non-elegant. In each instance he has said the buffet is for those who want a more causal experience on evenings designated as elegant.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wytygr8 said:

Why does it have to be extreme the other way though? It’s not actually hard to accommodate both. They have multiple dining rooms per ship.

Why not accommodate both in the same dining room..  people that want to dress up do, and people that don't want to don't.   Why should everyone have to dress up...  That way everyone is happy dressing the way they want...

46 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Interesting comment, in light of all the folks here that complain the MDR offers food no better than Lido dinner buffet.

(And I will agree that the Lido dinner menu does have a lot in common with the MDR, which since I enjoy the MDR meals so much, I don't see why folks would complain...)

In my experience, the buffet will have a couple things the same but nothing I ever want. And, by default, all buffet food is over cooked. I’ve never seen the shrimp cocktail or flat iron steak on the buffet.

On our last cruise we only ate in the MDR twice.  I actually kind of liked eating on Lido.  It was super casual, I didn't have to make small talk with the servers (which I enjoy sometimes, but not always) and on elegant night I didn't have to put on a dress and makeup.  I even still had prime rib and a baked potato.  I saw, and ate, many of the same dishes that were on the MDR menu.  I didn't feel cheated or like I wasn't getting my money's worth at all.  The only time I would make sure I ate in MDR was when they served Bitter N Blanc, that stuff is my kryptonite. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, trvlgirlmq said:

Well, one could argue the "Guy's Burgers" are really just a Steak'n'Shake.  

And I like Steak'n'Shake, so that's no issue for me. 

Honestly don't know if I've ever been to a Bojangles - probably, but my memory is like, um, I don't remember now.  Is it like Chick-fil-A?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, wytygr8 said:

Why would that be amusing? That’s the entire reason that loyalty programs exist in any industry.

If the perks were worth it then I could understand.

Airlines you can get free upgrades and free trips if you fly enough, not on a cruise line.

I can get on earlier, be on your game and get an early check in time and its a non issue, never had a checkin time past 11:30.

I get a free drink, big deal save a couple dollars.

I get special line at front desk. Not an issue, I have actually never been to the front desk and there are plenty of times there is no line.

And I can get a bag of cloths washed in super high temp industrial washer, for free. I always just do it when I get home.

28 minutes ago, bigdog1958 said:

Why not accommodate both in the same dining room..  people that want to dress up do, and people that don't want to don't.   Why should everyone have to dress up...  That way everyone is happy dressing the way they want...

Well, in essence, that would be getting rid of "elegant night", since on any given night you are welcome to dress up as much as you want. 

The whole point of elegant night is you dress up and everyone else dresses up and you all feel good looking good.  It is the one (or two) designated night(s) where the photogs are out in full force to capture that evening for your wall'o'memories when you get home.  It's why prom dresses and tuxedo rentals are a whole sub-industry.

I like elegant night.  If it went away I wouldn't whine about it being dropped in a public forum and threaten to change cruiselines, but I'd miss it.

30 minutes ago, bigdog1958 said:

Because that’s only accommodating one side. If you have one group of people who want a candlelit dinner and another who want to eat in a well lit area, you can’t just mix and match the lighting for different tables. That’ll work fine for those who want it well lit but not so much for the candlelit types. Ambience is incredibly important, from the lighting, to the music, to the decor, and to what people are wearing. In fact, the dress code and what people are wearing is really just part of the decor.

If some people like to get dressed up and have dinner with others, why would you want to stop them from doing so? It totally makes sense that you wouldn’t want to be denied your own experience and will choose that if there can be only one, but if both can exists, why would you want to deny that?

19 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Well, one could argue the "Guy's Burgers" are really just a Steak'n'Shake.  

And I like Steak'n'Shake, so that's no issue for me. 

Honestly don't know if I've ever been to a Bojangles - probably, but my memory is like, um, I don't remember now.  Is it like Chick-fil-A?

I don't eat Chick-fil-A but I think it is less fried foods, less Southern if you will.