Passport theft-warning

sambamama

On 11/10/2018 at 2:31 PM, alwaysfrantic said:

A passport card won’t really do you much good.

I have scanned copies in email email I could pulll up at a consulate if needed.  But I don’t take them off the ship.  

I have laminated copies of both mine and DW passport page that we carry when out of the country. In fact we have several sets, in different size. One set if about CC size, for a wallet, and has mine and DW back-2-back. These are all laminated too, so they will hold up for years. Those are what come off the ship with us in foreign ports, unless its legally required that we carry our originals. Sometimes you can't help it. For example, when disembarking in Scotland last August, we had to go through UK Immigration to get off the ship. No way to not take our passports ashore that day.

One of the biggest hurdles to getting a replacement passport from a US Embassy or Consulate, is proving you are an American Citizen. Having a copy of your passport information page makes the process much easier. It has all the information they really need (Name, Picture, Passport #). 

Cheers, 

Yes, good information,

The   passport card is useful when returning  to the ship when in port and required to show  govenment issued photo I.D,   Of course, that varies by what  the local officials  require.    Now  that  I have the pp card, I don't have to risk losing my license whil e cruising   traveling.  That could be a real nuisance when get home.

Edited by sail7seas

3 hours ago, RDC1 said:

Passport Cards are good for land or ship travel only in US, Canada, Mexico and Caribbean.  

I may have encountered airline and TSA personnel who did not know passport cards are not to be used for airline travel in the U.S. and I used mine several times in the last 4 months in California, Hawaii, Alaska, and Massachusetts.  I would not think of substituting it for international travel but in reading the brochure included with my new passport and card I was comfortable using it for domestic airline travel.  Cherie    

30 minutes ago, cccole said:

I may have encountered airline and TSA personnel who did not know passport cards are not to be used for airline travel in the U.S. and I used mine several times in the last 4 months in California, Hawaii, Alaska, and Massachusetts.  I would not think of substituting it for international travel but in reading the brochure included with my new passport and card I was comfortable using it for domestic airline travel.  Cherie    

Just to be clear the Passport cards are official government issued identification, just as the card issued with Global Entry is. 

As such they can be used as ID for US domestic flights, just as a drivers license would be.

What they cannot be used for is to be used instead of a passport to fly between the US and another country including Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. Countries where the passport cards are valid for land entry or ship transport.

They also work quite well for all other kinds of things that one needs id for, such as cashing checks, getting a drivers license, etc.   

Edited by RDC1

Thanks RDC1.  Your understanding is the same as mine.  I misunderstood your previous post to say that the passport card was only valid on land and/or ship travel. I have other forms of photo I.D. when not traveling and my passport card stays in the front pocket of my travel purse.  I apologize for misunderstanding your post.  Cherie

1 hour ago, cccole said:

Thanks RDC1.  Your understanding is the same as mine.  I misunderstood your previous post to say that the passport card was only valid on land and/or ship travel. I have other forms of photo I.D. when not traveling and my passport card stays in the front pocket of my travel purse.  I apologize for misunderstanding your post.  Cherie

No problem, I just wanted to make sure that everything was clear.  The initial post was concerned with how it could be used in place of a passport book.

I must be missing something.  If the OP didn't tell the ship personnel that their passport was stolen, how would they ever know?  So why would the OP be "thrown off the ship"?  I can see it would cause issues when trying to go through customs when disembarking but why at the point it was stolen?

On 11/11/2018 at 5:37 PM, sambamama said:

... I too, have worked years in the customer service industry, but I have worked many more years talking to victims and empathy and respect is always paramount in dealing with them. 

On 11/11/2018 at 11:06 PM, avian777 said:

Please forgive my ignorance, but exactly what is "the customer service industry"?  TYIA

sambamama,

In case you didn't see my earlier Post, I have copied it above.  I would be grateful if you would explain what is "the customer service industry".  Again, thank you in advance for your reply.

7 minutes ago, avian777 said:

sambamama,

In case you didn't see my earlier Post, I have copied it above.  I would be grateful if you would explain what is "the customer service industry".  Again, thank you in advance for your reply.

OP stated she has left the discussion.

It can range from a front desk person to an airline attendant to a salesperson at Macy's. Task to take input from potential customers and help enhance the employer's bottom line, directly by increased tangible sales or indirectly by creating intangible goodwill towards that employer.. 

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Like 1

Not exactly on topic, but germane to the subject: my husband and I travel often and have found the “pick pocket proof pants” by Clothing Arts to definitely make us feel more secure with our travel money/documents. Often WE can hardly get into the “3 layer pockets.”  I highly recommend considering them for travel where you will be using public transportation, in crowded areas, or just for peace of mind.  The pants are very well made (IMO) and certainly will thwart any pick pocket attempts.