Buying liquor for cabin consumption

bobnfl

1 hour ago, jasbo49 said:

I've gotten to the point where I don't see any advantage in pre-ordering. Even if you pre-order and pre-pay, you still have to get ahold of room service to get your bottle.

Jim

Good point. One reason to pre-order would be to insure whatever it is you want is available. But I doubt they'd run out of the meager selection they have anyway. Still, I will probably pre-order 1 bottle just to be sure, and hope I get it on departure day.

• Like 1

Went on our first Princess cruise in June. Was surprised to discover that the bottles were so small and that they would not be in the cabin on arrival. Every other line has a a full liter waiting in the cabin on arrival. I assume that Princess is counting on you running out quickly and then buying from the bars.

26 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Good point. One reason to pre-order would be to insure whatever it is you want is available. But I doubt they'd run out of the meager selection they have anyway. Still, I will probably pre-order 1 bottle just to be sure, and hope I get it on departure day.

when we did preorder , it was just to prepay , so not to have that charge on the final bill

I know ... I know ... time value of money ... compound interest ... Princess using our money ..

48 minutes ago, theduffys said:

Went on our first Princess cruise in June. Was surprised to discover that the bottles were so small and that they would not be in the cabin on arrival. Every other line has a a full liter waiting in the cabin on arrival. I assume that Princess is counting on you running out quickly and then buying from the bars.

It is a liability/theft issue as the cabins can be open during turnaround day.

With the voucher they have to get your signature that you received it also.

30 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Hmm. Wonder why they have never been stolen from the other lines.

20 hours ago, theduffys said:

In my experience, the other cruise lines may give you a bottle twice as big, but they charge four times as much. Carnival and NCL, at least, charge you twice as much per ounce.

As for running out, you can pick up the phone and order reinforcements and have it in your cabin within 15-20 minutes. It's only on day 1 that room service is swamped and takes a while.

Jim

On 9/2/2019 at 2:59 PM, Colo Cruiser said:

Hmm. Wonder why they have never been stolen from the other lines.

2 hours ago, Potstech said:

You seem to know a lot about the thieves and circumventing the rules on Princess. Experience perhaps?

Having only cruised on Princess one time in our 37 cruises, I cannot comment on the amount of thievery that takes place on their ships but, a search on the CC boards will turn up many comments on the remarkable R— R——- products.

• Like 1

Yes, this is a test of the emergency broadcast system, broadcasters in your area, in voluntary cooperation with state and local authorities, have developed this test in case of an emergency. 

It’s like the muster drill speech, you know it by heart. Yes the words change a bit over the years. 

Edited by neverbeenhere

Regarding getting one’s bottle delivered... On all of our cruises except ones where we had the PBP I’ve pre-ordered a couple bottles of rum. As others have said the vouchers were left in our room requiring a call to room service. One time it took over a day to get the bottles! Most of the time I got an unanswered ringing phone. Twice I got through to someone who told me the bottles would be delivered soon, yeah as in don’t hold your breath. Finally got the bottles the next day. Fortunately the other cruises weren’t as bad, generally took a couple hours. 

On 11/14/2018 at 6:01 AM, ONT-CA said:

If you check out the design of glasses use in the bars and those found in the cabins I think you will find a difference.  Even when walking about with a purchased bar drink I noted occasional eye movement checks

I got a new travel cup for Christmas that says "Might be ice tea. Probably bourbon" that I am looking forward to carrying around the cruise ship! Keep 'em guessing!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Potstech said:

You seem to know a lot about the thieves and circumventing the rules on Princess. Experience perhaps?

I'm not to sure about thieves on board the ships but I do know that Princess decided to steal coffee money from all it past passengers this Aug 13th.

This set the precedence for me & I have no problem in following suit with using RumRummers.

Do what you feel is best for your cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, warthog2608 said:

Regarding getting one’s bottle delivered... On all of our cruises except ones where we had the PBP I’ve pre-ordered a couple bottles of rum. As others have said the vouchers were left in our room requiring a call to room service. One time it took over a day to get the bottles! Most of the time I got an unanswered ringing phone. Twice I got through to someone who told me the bottles would be delivered soon, yeah as in don’t hold your breath. Finally got the bottles the next day. Fortunately the other cruises weren’t as bad, generally took a couple hours. 

My limited experience is like yours: generally took a couple of hours on Princess. But that's only on two of our Princess cruises. (Don't ask how I obtained my liquor on the other ones....). Other cruise lines had a bottle waiting the the cabin...yes, costing much more than Princess however! Except for HAL, I think I on the last cruise we pre-ordered a full liter of Jameson for $62 plus gratuity. Decent whisky, decent amount <for three>  for a decent price.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I'm not to sure about thieves on board the ships but I do know that Princess decided to steal coffee money from all it past passengers this Aug 13th.

This set the precedence for me & I have no problem in following suit with using RumRummers.

I always do.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2019 at 8:34 AM, MissP22 said:

Correction on that date....it should have stated Aug 31th NOT the 13th.

But we all knew that anyway. :classic_laugh:

• Like 1