Dolphin Excursions?

sevenfish

Check out this site - https://www.onegreenplanet.org/animalsandnature/what-to-know-about-swim-with-dolphins/ - and any of the many other sites on the internet which shows how all the swiming with dolphins programs are  inhumane and cruel to one of the more intelligent animals on the planet.  Then imagine how you would feel if you were captured by another civilization and they had swiming-with-human programs, especially if the captured you and separated you from your whole family unit.

DON

On 11/14/2018 at 2:09 AM, donaldsc said:

Check out this site - https://www.onegreenplanet.org/animalsandnature/what-to-know-about-swim-with-dolphins/ - and any of the many other sites on the internet which shows how all the swiming with dolphins programs are  inhumane and cruel to one of the more intelligent animals on the planet.  Then imagine how you would feel if you were captured by another civilization and they had swiming-with-human programs, especially if the captured you and separated you from your whole family unit.

DON

Yeah, they are all so horrible.

Years ago we did one in the Keys, that was singled out by some people like you point to.  How inhumane it was.  The dolphins were caged.

Except the writers never actually did the swim.  The fence was to keep boaters out of the swimming area.  Under water were large holes.  The dolphins were free to come and go.  And they did.  And sometimes, when they came back, they would bring friends along.  They ENJOYED it.  And the easy to get food was a bonus.

Since none of those who claim how cruel it is have ever actually asked a dolphin, how do they know?

1 hour ago, SRF said:

Yeah, they are all so horrible.

Years ago we did one in the Keys, that was singled out by some people like you point to.  How inhumane it was.  The dolphins were caged.

Except the writers never actually did the swim.  The fence was to keep boaters out of the swimming area.  Under water were large holes.  The dolphins were free to come and go.  And they did.  And sometimes, when they came back, they would bring friends along.  They ENJOYED it.  And the easy to get food was a bonus.

Since none of those who claim how cruel it is have ever actually asked a dolphin, how do they know?

And on top of that how do you force a dolphin to do any of the things they do during a dolphin swim? I would think if the dolphin doesn't want to cooperate they wouldn't. I think the focus should be on making sure conditions and treatment are as humane as possible, through regulatory oversight if necessary.

If you want to do a dolphin swim, do it. Unless people are off the grid vegans (and probably then as well) we are all polluting and exploiting something. No judgment necessary and it certainly doesn’t belong here on Cruise Critic.

I did a dolphin swim in Cozumel because my tween wanted to. I didn’t like it at all but she did. The cost for 2 was $250, the staff directly and repeatedly solicited tips (not sure for what exactly). Photo packages were astronomically priced, the whole experience including the crowded shuttles was an unpleasant cattle call herd type of deal. Each person had a couple of minutes in the water directly with a dolphin and a host and I did feel sorry for the dolphins but that’s my own issue. There was a rushed feel as there were many large groups they were trying to get through. Lunch was included but certainly no better than what we could have had aboard ship for free.

I don’t regret it but I told my kid I’m not doing it again and she needs to wait until she’s an adult if she wants to repeat someday.

i visited Blue Lagoon Island off of the coast of Nassau many years ago when it served as the private island for Premier Cruise Line and I really enjoyed the island and beach. They do various encounters plus beach day packages so if I were looking for something like this I would check them out. 

On 11/14/2018 at 1:09 AM, donaldsc said:

DON

I suppose some dolphins might prefer other employment - but why just focus on them?-  think of all the horses who, in stead of running free, have harnesses and saddles imposed on them so people too lazy to walk can ride;  and how about all those Shetland and Border Collies who are trained to herd sheep around, so people can enjoy woolen sweaters and lamb chops - while the hard-working sheep dogs get rained on and have to eat kibble.