grand princess

karena0315

has anyone been on the grand princess to the mexican riviera. is is safe in that part of mexico? how is the ship? anything i should know?   best tours/trips off ship?

i understand this ship is going into refurb in march of 2019.anyone know what is being done? 

has anyone been on the grand princess to the mexican riviera. is is safe in that part of mexico? how is the ship? anything i should know?   best tours/trips off ship?

i understand this ship is going into refurb in march of 2019.anyone know what is being done? do they discount this cruise  when the sailing dates get closer?

Prices are based on supply and demand. Traditionally we look when the itineraries are released for cabin selection and price. Sometimes we refare for a better price, sometimes that is the best price. So can’t tell you what the future holds for your specific cruise.

The ports Princess goes to in Mexico are safe. You should be vigilant, of course, when out in town. Don’t flaunt lots of cash, be careful with wallet and purse, we take the public bus In Puerto Vallarta whenever we go to get downtown. We all have backpacks with waters so I’d say we look like tourists. We also do a family vacation to Cabo every year. Feel very safe there.

The Grand is our most travelled ship. The crew is amazing! The ship is The oldest ship in the fleet, but it should not keep you from enjoying your vacation.  The closets are smaller than other Grand class ships but if it’s 2 in a room, you should be fine. We travel with 4 and have gotten creative with packing and storing clothes. 

Enjoy your vacation! Mexican Riviera is a itinerary. We haven’t done it for a couple of years and I miss it. We had to cancel our cruise this month to the Mexican Riviera. So looking forward to rebooking 

We don't do ship tours in Mexico, no experience with that. And no idea what’s being done in dry dock. We have a couple of future cruises booked on the Grand before and after dry dock. 

Edited by jennybenny

We made that trip in January of this year and had a great time. Lots of people complain that the Grand Princess is old and not well-maintained. Sure it's old (1998) by modern cruise ship standards, but I like it just fine.

We've traveled in Mexico a bit over the years and, while you always want to be careful, I find Mexico a real pleasure with great people. You'll want to stay in tourist areas just to be safe.

If you like pizza, try Alfredo's, a table-service restaurant that's included in the fare.

Jim

52 minutes ago, karena0315 said:

i understand this ship is going into refurb in march of 2019.anyone know what is being done? 

Yes.  Many times from San Francisco.   We are sailing on the Grand in January.  Mexican Riviera  round trip San Francisco.   The ship is in nice condition .   IMO the cuisine and quality in the MDR is ordinary but ok.  Nothing to rave about.   Speciality restaurants IMO serves

better quality product, and variety.   Pizza sucks.  Bad cheese and crust is like cardboard.  But YMMV.  Try it, and see if it suits your taste.   

Be aware that Matzalan and Manzinillo are dangerous due to the rival drug cartels fighting for control.   Recommend taking ships shore excursions there.  Cabo and Puerto Vallarta are relatively safe if you stay in the tourist areas.  You can walk around on your own.  But be careful.  There has been instances of violence there too.

Enjoy.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

I’ve done this itinerary twice and am booked to do it again Dec 13. I love the Grand and her crew. Don’t expect a shiny new ship and you will be quite happy with her as well. 

Go lurk on the roll call boards and see what folks are talking about with reagards to tours and things to do in port. On my roll call Mediaspot (Thom) is just a wealth of information and so helpful. 

I’ve done the turtle sanctuary ship’s tour out of Manzanillo twice. Quite nice. This year we are doing a walking tour of the historic distric in Mazatlan  and a snorkeling tour in Cabo both through the ship. In PV we love to just grab a cab into town and walk the Malecon into the Romantic Zone where we eat and chill on the beach. 

If cabin location is important to you book the cabin you want and viligently check for price reductions prior to final payment. If you are more flexible you can wait and see if there is a Drop and Go deal after final payment. 

Happy cruising. 

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel

Yes, several times! We felt safe in all locations, Mazatlan, Manzanillo, Puerto Vallarta and Cabo. The Grand is just fine as well and have sailed on it 5 times. Have a great trip!

Edited by MTJSR

I've been going to Mexico for 40+ years...Mexico City, Cancun, Cabo,  PV, Mazatlan.  I've never had an issue.  In Cancun and Mazatlan, staying in well traveled areas is a good idea.  In PV, I've ridden public buses north to Saluyita, and south to Boca De Tomatlan, wandered the streets at night and made a lot of friends.  I hope to retire there or at least spend winters there someday.  I'm excited to explore Manzanillo since that is the one port that I've never been to.  

Karena, the cruise lines are very sensitive to any violence against their passengers.  If I remember correctly, it was in 2011 that the cruise lines last boycotted Mazatlán due to some drug gang violence that scared the tourists.  Although there were quite a few murders in Mazatlán in the beginning of 2017, these were all gang crime that did not brush against the cruise passengers, and they did not stop the port calls at Mazatlán.  

There were over half a million tourist visits at Mazatlán from the cruise ships in 2017.  There were very few criminal attacks on any of these people, even though a lot of them got drunk and sloppy!  The drug wars do NOT spill over against us.

Living in Los Angeles and Las  Vegas, the Mex Riviera out of L.A. is my basic cruise.  I have done it many times, and I have never experienced any crime there.  Except for the highway robbery by some of the ship's shore excursions!!! 

3 minutes ago, karena0315 said:

sorry if my questions(so many) bother you ..i am new at this ... 

Not at all a bother. You simply should revisit your first thread and continue the conversation there. It will be a much more robust discussion with it all on a single thread. You can turn on Notify Me of Replies. Then just click on the link in your email to revisit the thread. Makes it easy. 

Welcome to CC. 

Mazatlan, problem is cruise docks are in very poor part of town. 12 foot steel wall to protect the pax. Cab drivers may not know the destination you want, but will not admit it. Will take you out and deposit you as fast as possible to where THEY think you want.

Our favorite spot on the far side of the city, the "other" Tony's on the Beach"