St Thomas to St John

serene56

I am in a small argument with a person who swears you can not go to St. John’s from st Thomas without a passport.     She states this law took place in 2017 with homeland security.    St Thomas being a US territory and St. John is not.   Is this true?   If yes how come Carnival doesn’t state on their web site you need a passport for this excursion 

15 hours ago, coevan said:

Antigua is St. Johns, St, John is one of our favorite islands and easy to get to on your own. Not only a U.S territory most phone services are local calling with 4G or LITE. 

Easy to see where the confusing comes from,  since the port city in Antigua has nearly the same name.  

There is also a town called St. John in Michigan, but I doubt that causes any issues :)

• Haha 1

Trunk Bay is by far NOT the best beach on the island. The locals stay away as the crush of tourists have completely blanched the reef at Trunk Bay. All beaches are public, you have Cinnamon, Maho/Francis, and the Lamshures on the south side. 

In 2006 we went from St Thomas to Trunk Bay on St Johns. Both are US territories. But you then needed a Passport to get on the ferry, people with US driver licenses were turned away.

It was a taxi from the ship to the ferry and then a taxi to the beach it will take some time for traveling but you can stay at the beach longer. It was a little cheaper then the ships excursion, but not by much, plus you didn't need a passport through the ship.

Not sure if it is still the same, that was 12 years ago and the ferry operator had signs up stating that passports only to board. 

4 hours ago, pscozz702 said:

In 2006 we went from St Thomas to Trunk Bay on St Johns. Both are US territories. But you then needed a Passport to get on the ferry, people with US driver licenses were turned away.

Absolute garbage, maybe "St. Johns, Antigua" not St. John, USVI, you do not even need a drivers license

27 minutes ago, coevan said:

Absolute garbage, maybe "St. Johns, Antigua" not St. John, USVI, you do not even need a drivers license

Back I'm 2006 it was, not sure about now, but 12 years ago the ferry operator refused driver licenses only accepted passports to travel. So not garbage, that's how it was.

you made this up, did not happen, the US in USVI means it is a US territory. I have lived on and off in St.Thomas for years, you are just simply mistaken. There is no customs at the ferry dock going from Red Hood to Cruz Bay, have done it 40+ times. However there is a customs dock for those arriving from BVI or another Caribbean island. Which would require a passport. 

9 hours ago, coevan said:

Trunk Bay is by far NOT the best beach on the island. The locals stay away as the crush of tourists have completely blanched the reef at Trunk Bay. All beaches are public, you have Cinnamon, Maho/Francis, and the Lamshures on the south side. 

I can't wait to try them all. For my first trip there, it was between Trunk and Cinnamon. Chose Trunk. St John looks like the kind of place I would live at.

9 hours ago, coevan said:

you made this up, did not happen, the US in USVI means it is a US territory. I have lived on and off in St.Thomas for years, you are just simply mistaken. There is no customs at the ferry dock going from Red Hood to Cruz Bay, have done it 40+ times. However there is a customs dock for those arriving from BVI or another Caribbean island. Which would require a passport. 

I forgot you were right there with me and my family. Never said there was customs there. The operator would not sell tickets unless you showed your passport, they, the operator, did not accept any other ID. 

23 hours ago, itchintocruise said:

False info. You do not need a passport to to travel between St. Thomas and St. John, USVI.

We where their last March and had no problem taking the ferry between the 2 islands. We enjoyed the day at Honeymoon Beach.

412836460_IMG_2306(1).thumb.JPG.23166b59d207ad9a9601c7bb2783ec50.JPG

How'd you get here? We want to spend the day in St.John on our upcoming cruise to St.Thomas, and have previous visited Trunk Bay through the Carnival excursion, but we are looking into other local islands. Cumulatively, how much did your entire day trip cost you? Honeymoon Beach looks beautiful, do you have any other suggestions for alternate beaches on the island as well?

U.S. citizens do not need a passport when entering the U.S. Virgin Islands, according to the official U.S. Virgin Islands passport requirements, but you may be required to show proof of citizenship (raised-seal birth certificate and valid government-issued ID card such as a driver’s license) when departing the U.S. Virgin Islands of St. Thomas, St. Croix, and St. John.

13 hours ago, pscozz702 said:

Back I'm 2006 it was, not sure about now, but 12 years ago the ferry operator refused driver licenses only accepted passports to travel. So not garbage, that's how it was.

So why was I able to travel from ST Thomas to St John's on a ferry without anyone on the ferry showing ID back in the 1990's and 2000's?  

This poster has to be mistaking his/her islands.   From USA Today:

U.S. Territory

St. Thomas is an island in the Caribbean that is politically part of the United States Virgin Islands (USVI), which also includes St. Croix, St. John and some smaller islands. The USVI is an unincorporated territory of the United States, and as such, U.S. citizens are free to travel there without a passport, just as they may travel freely between states or other territories without a passport.

Edited by evandbob

4 hours ago, mredandchis said:

but you may be required to show proof of citizenship (raised-seal birth certificate and valid government-issued ID card such as a driver’s license) when departing the U.S. Virgin Islands of St. Thomas, St. Croix, and St. John.

Again, no you do not