Southern Versus Eastern Caribbean from Florida

LaneyB72

Hi all.  I am booking our next cruise soon for Feb 2019.  We have been on only one cruise, which was Carnival from Baltimore to the Bahamas.  We enjoyed it, but would not go out of Baltimore in the winter again.  I am having a really hard time narrowing the choices down.   For our next one I am looking at a few options out of Florida:

Eastern Caribbean from Port Canaveral on Breeze - Amber Cove, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk (7 day)

Southern Caribbean from FL on Conquest - Princess Cays, Grand Turk, Curacao, Aruba (8 day)

Easter Caribbean from Miami on Magic - Amber Cove, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk (7 day)

Eastern Caribbean from FL on Conquest - St. Marteen, St. Kitts, San Juan, Grand Turk (8 day)

Easter Caribbean from Miami on Glory - Amber Cove, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk (7 day)

Any pros and cons to these ships/itineraries would be appreciated!

We are doing this one but on the Magic in May 19.

Eastern Caribbean from FL on Conquest - St. Marteen, St. Kitts, San Juan, Grand Turk (8 day)

My pro would be the 8 Days for that one and this one. 

Southern Caribbean from FL on Conquest - Princess Cays, Grand Turk, Curacao, Aruba (8 day)

My con would be the others are 7 days.

All depends on where you want to go, what ship ..If you want me to pick, 8 day to Aruba.

We just did the Southern in May and loved it, But on the Vista and Did La Romana instead of Princess Cays.

We'll only do 8 days from now on.

Have fun planning!

Edited by thesmiths
  • Like 1

We've done both of the 8 days that you've listed.  Either one is great.  Given your choices and all else being equal, I'd choose the 8 day with Aruba and Curacao as those are beautiful beach ports that don't show up on many itineraries.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LaneyB72 said:

This absolutely would be our choice!  

It takes you to the DEEP Caribbean (Curacao & Aruba)

Please don't miss the opportunity to go to those lovely islands.:classic_cool:

• Like 1

I would go for the Aruba included cruise.

One thing to check out, for any itinerary, would be if there might be a religious holiday at any of the ports. Our last time in Aruba it happened to be one of these occasions, and all the local businesses were closed.

I only ran into this once, but, I thought I'd mention it.😏

• Like 1

Is there a big difference in airfare or flight schedules?  That might help me decide among Orlando, FL, Miami.  Orlando is more distant from the cruise terminal, if that matters.  I would probably fly in the day before but leave the afternoon of arrival.

• Like 1

13 of us, family & friends, did - Southern Caribbean from FL on Conquest - Grand Turk, La Roman, Curacao and Aruba (8 day), in October of last year - awesome time!!!

I love 7-8 day cruises, especially when there is 2 sea days coming home.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2018 at 4:55 AM, evandbob said:

I would not even consider any itinerary with Amber Cove.  That leaves just 2 choices, and either will be great.

Well, that leaves you out of the vast majority (maybe all) of the Carnival 7 day eastern itineraries.  But we all know you've graduated to other lines mostly.

To the OP,  you'll have a great time.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2018 at 10:03 PM, CoolOne56 said:

13 of us, family & friends, did - Southern Caribbean from FL on Conquest - Grand Turk, La Roman, Curacao and Aruba (8 day), in October of last year - awesome time!!!

I love 7-8 day cruises, especially when there is 2 sea days coming home.

I am loving to see all the responses about Aruba and Curacao being the best ones.  My family and my 2 sisters with their families are going on the Horizon doing the ABC islands in Jan 2021.  My dh and I did St Kitts and St Maarten and those were our favorite islands so far so I would have chosen them from the OP's list.  I can't wait to do this cruise and experience even better islands!

• Like 1

On 11/21/2018 at 7:55 AM, evandbob said:

I would not even consider any itinerary with Amber Cove. 

11 hours ago, jsglow said:

Well, that leaves you out of the vast majority (maybe all) of the Carnival 7 day eastern itineraries.

That was a bold statement to make, so I just did a bit of quick research, and it's not all or a vast majority, but 5 out of 9 that goes to Amber Cove.  Over the entire 2019 season on Carnival, there are 7 day Eastern Caribbean cruises on the Glory, Breeze, Magic, Sunshine and Conquest that stop at Amber Cove.  There are 7 day cruises on the Pride, Dream and the Fascination out of San Juan and also out of Barbados that do not stop there.

8 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

That was a bold statement to make, so I just did a bit of quick research, and it's not all or a vast majority, but 5 out of 9 that goes to Amber Cove.  Over the entire 2019 season on Carnival, there are 7 day Eastern Caribbean cruises on the Glory, Breeze, Magic, Sunshine and Conquest that stop at Amber Cove.  There are 7 day cruises on the Pride, Dream and the Fascination out of San Juan and also out of Barbados that do not stop there.

Then I stand corrected.  I guess I was referring to the Florida departures.  Although I don't consider anything the Pride does as an 'Eastern'.  Grand Turk doesn't really make it so in my view.  It's an alternative Bahamas run really.  And if you can point me to an 'Eastern' out of New Orleans on Dream I'm all ears.  Your not suggesting that Jamaica counts, are you?  Or their one run next year to the Bahamas?  As for the Fascination, you are correct.  I've sailed that route twice myself. 

On 11/20/2018 at 2:25 PM, LaneyB72 said:

We have been on only one cruise, which was Carnival from Baltimore to the Bahamas.  We enjoyed it, but would not go out of Baltimore in the winter again. 

Why? Is it because it was too cold at the beginning? Any other reasons?

I'm asking because we're from Toronto and we're looking into a Baltimore sailing but if there are enough "cons" then we'll cough up the extra $$ and fly to Florida

• Like 1

We drove from Michigan to Maryland, and on the way home there was a huge snowstorm.  It wasn't a fun drive back.  We also both hate the cold (probably from living in Michigan our whole lives), and decided to only go from warmer ports.  But it was a nice cruise, and the port in Baltimore was easy to find and to park. 

5 hours ago, 1lizette1 said:

Why? Is it because it was too cold at the beginning? Any other reasons?

I'm asking because we're from Toronto and we're looking into a Baltimore sailing but if there are enough "cons" then we'll cough up the extra $$ and fly to Florida

Go out of FLA.  You pay a premium to sail out of Baltimore because of the limited competition.  You can sail out of FLA on a larger, more modern ship at a cheaper price, especially during early January when prices are usually pretty good.

• Like 1