Price Drop After Final Payment

mhb1757

So a week after final payment date I notice a significant price drop for our January Noordam cruise (about $1100/pp). I know HAL isn’t obligated to do anything but I asked our TA to see if she could get them to offer anything. They offered a $300 pp future cruise credit, an upgrade from a VD guarantee to a VA guarantee, $200 in beverage cards, $150 OBC and a dinner at Pinnacle Grill. I would have preferred more OBC instead of the future credit but I won’t complain. 

So so when I look online it appears that only a couple of VA cabins are available and they are both accessible cabins with roll in showers. Am I going to be sorry if they put us in one of those?  We usually do guarantee cabins and have never been unhappy with where they placed us and have gotten nice upgrades several times. I’m just afraid our luck may have run out. 

We got an accessible cabin on a guarantee.  There was no love seat and there was one less closet.  I loved the roll in shower, it's very large.  We managed with reduced closet space but it was a little squishy.  I believe we still had two chairs. I would take the deal you got even if it meant an HA cabin.

14 hours ago, mhb1757 said:

So a week after final payment date I notice a significant price drop for our January Noordam cruise (about $1100/pp). I know HAL isn’t obligated to do anything but I asked our TA to see if she could get them to offer anything. They offered a $300 pp future cruise credit, an upgrade from a VD guarantee to a VA guarantee, $200 in beverage cards, $150 OBC and a dinner at Pinnacle Grill. I would have preferred more OBC instead of the future credit but I won’t complain. 

So so when I look online it appears that only a couple of VA cabins are available and they are both accessible cabins with roll in showers. Am I going to be sorry if they put us in one of those?  We usually do guarantee cabins and have never been unhappy with where they placed us and have gotten nice upgrades several times. I’m just afraid our luck may have run out. 

I got a VA on a balcony guarantee once before and I liked the room a lot. Bathroom is very easy to use and I love open shower with lots of room. Only negative for me was the closet was not great with low rods etc. .  I was on the Niew Amsterdam then.

I have gotten major reductions after final payments on two recent cruises.  All one needs to to is ask your TA.  The worst that can happen is that HAL says no.  In one case I received a substantial cash payment and in another I had to pay a penalty, but ended up with a better cabin and cash back.  One of the options I received was what was reported above by mhb1757.

Even if you kept your VD guarantee, you could still be assigned a HC. Any guarantee is a risk of sorts. Even the cruise line doesn't know which cabins will be available at sailing. There are late bookings, cancellations, and probably a lot of onboard shuffling that we likely never know about right up to sailing. You got a nice adjustment, and you likely will wind up with a nice cabin.

On 11/21/2018 at 9:13 PM, mhb1757 said:

If you have a  roll in shower, you well could also have a high toilet.  Some people, who do not require  a raised toilet do not care for them.  Would that be a factor for you?  Something to think about.

My only concern with the handicapped bathroom is often with a roll in shower the entire bathroom floor floods every time someone uses the shower. If that doesn’t happen I’m fine. Won’t miss the tub. I do hope the room has a couch/loveseat and I think some handicapped rooms have those removed. But now I guess we will play the wait and see game until our cabin is assigned!  

Thanks. 

Here's a link to pictures of our HA cabin on the Eurodam:  http://halfacts.com/4131-eurodam/.  I took a couple of pics of the bathroom.  Because of the floor drains, it never flooded the entire floor.  The one drain protected the toilet/sink area and the other was right at the door.  Read my notes, too.  I forgot about the safe taking up valuable closet space...

On 11/22/2018 at 11:26 AM, mcrcruiser said:

I would not complain . HAL could have denied any additional benefits after final payment :classic_huh:

Yes,yes, yes and  yes.

They did not have to give anything.