Is Capt Kate Coming?

garyl62

I just read a Forbes article on a social media site with a LLP interview about how the Edge is the ship for women and she is quoted as saying "Captain Kate will take over this as Captain in 2019". Anyone hear anything about this?

www.forbes.com/sites/laurabegleybloom/2018/11/30/billion-dollar-cruise-ship-celebrity-edge-launch-women/amp/#ampf=undefined

Edited by garyl62

Yeah, on her Instagram page the commentators are stating she is moving to the Edge next year. However, she has not stated such in a reply. 

If so congrats to her, she has a made a name for herself. And if not the Edge maybe the Apex. 

It would be interesting to know how Captains are picked for certain ships, I thought it would be a seniority thing, but now I am thinking it may be a management or corporate decision.

6 minutes ago, longhorn2004 said:

Yeah, on her Instagram page the commentators are stating she is moving to the Edge next year. However, she has not stated such in a reply. 

If so congrats to her, she has a made a name for herself. And if not the Edge maybe the Apex. 

It would be interesting to know how Captains are picked for certain ships, I thought it would be a seniority thing, but now I am thinking it may be a management or corporate decision.

I'm sure it's based on performance as it is with the rest of the staff who are brought over to the new ships.

Ok, just read the Forbes article and the CEO states it herself that Captain Kate will be on the Edge in 2019

"Women at the Helm: ”We’ve just hired our third woman captain at Celebrity, which is a big deal,” says Lutoff-Perlo. “Captain Kate McCue will be taking over this ship as captain in 2019."

5 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

I have seen a report that she has two more contracts on Equinox, Jan 26-Mar 30 and Jun 8-Aug 31. With two month gaps in between then she likely would take over Edge starting with the Nov 1 Transatlantic.

I would be ecstatic if she could make the April TA!  Thanks for the info'...

Edited by Lastdance

Talked to Captain Kostas today. He will be on for 6 months until Feb 3 and then will have 6 months off and then returns to the Edge for 6 months. It sounded like he would end up on the 3rd E-Class as the Master. Meanwhile, Captain Kafetzis will take over on Feb 3 for 6 months, vacation for 6 months and then to Apex at that point, I believe. Maybe Captain Kate comes back onboard when Captain Kostas returns and then takes over when he goes on vacation?

There were a couple of other CC people on the Inside Access Tour with us - chime in if you had a different impression. The tour was great, BTW. 

The Captain on the Bridge

image.thumb.png.bf05b6aab2137c1dd4abcc94a59b447e.png

Control Room

image.png.7b564b7a5c8eeca46693cc9f0182c44f.png

On 12/3/2018 at 9:46 PM, vtcruising said:

Talked to Captain Kostas today. He will be on for 6 months until Feb 3 and then will have 6 months off and then returns to the Edge for 6 months. It sounded like he would end up on the 3rd E-Class as the Master. Meanwhile, Captain Kafetzis will take over on Feb 3 for 6 months, vacation for 6 months and then to Apex at that point, I believe. Maybe Captain Kate comes back onboard when Captain Kostas returns and then takes over when he goes on vacation?

There were a couple of other CC people on the Inside Access Tour with us - chime in if you had a different impression. The tour was great, BTW. 

6 months is a long time for a captain to be on board. 3 months on and 3 months off is what it usually is. Also, if he's leaving on February 3rd, that would have been 3 months.

Sad that we will be missing Captain Kafetzis since we are on 1/20 and 1/27. I'm sure he will be on board becoming familiar with the ship's operation but may not be out and about to talk to passengers (and certainly not in uniform).

Edited by MisterBill99

On 12/4/2018 at 3:46 AM, vtcruising said:

Control Room

hmm 6 month´s? That would be the May 2019.. not Februar 2019.... That´s 3 month´s 🙂 

6 month´s for vacation is very long... 

hm we´re on the Spring Transatlantic 2020... we will see who our captain will be 😉 

3 hours ago, Celebrity Liner said:

hmm 6 month´s? That would be the May 2019.. not Februar 2019.... That´s 3 month´s 🙂 

6 month´s for vacation is very long... 

hm we´re on the Spring Transatlantic 2020... we will see who our captain will be 😉 

He was on the ship in September, I believe, and maybe was training before that. He said 6 months on, 6 months off - I remember someone questioned him about that being a long time.

Ok, VT, sorry but I am confused here.  I thought Captain Kafetzis was second to Captain Kostas on the Edge, until he leaves to take over Apex.  I do not recall anyone mentioning him being onboard at all yet.  So, here is not there?  But may be coming aboard before he takes over on Feb. 3?  Which means he might be there for our January 20th voyage, but just not the Master?  So, if he takes over in February, then Captain Kate comes on as second?  Can you just make a little chart for those of us who are conceptually challenged?  (Me, specifically)  Right now, there is Captain Kostas, with who as second, etc.  Thanks.  :classic_huh:

Edited by beachbunny6

Just now, beachbunny6 said:

Ok, VT, sorry but I am confused here.  I thought Captain Kafetzis was second to Captain Kostas on the Edge, until he leaves to take over Apex.  I do not recall anyone mentioning him being onboard at all yet.  So, here is not there?  But may be coming aboard before he takes over on Feb. 3?  Which means he might be there for our January 20th voyage, but just not the Master?  So, if he takes over in February, then Captain Kate comes on as second?  Can you just make a little chart for those of us who are conceptually challenged?  (Me, specifically)  Right now, there is Captain Kostas, with who as second, etc.  Thanks.  :classic_huh:

I guess I should have recorded it. Two of our roll call members were also there. I will reach out to them to make sure that I got it right.

What I do remember is the 6 month on and off, with Captain Kostas leaving Feb 3 (he's been onboard at least since Sept, I believe) - Captain Kafetzis will take over on Feb 3 for 6 months, vacation for 6 months, with  Captain Kostas returning. He didn't say anything about when Captain Kafetzis would be onboard to learn about the ship. He talked about Captain Kafetzis going to Apex and that he (Kostas) would eventually take over Edge III. He said something about them "leap frogging" the Edge Class ships. The Captain Kate announcement had not been made (I think it was the next day) so she wasn't named as being the one to take over the Edge.

I will come back if I hear anything from my roll call buddies who were on the same tour. I was a bit in awe of the Captain so may have misheard. 😉

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, vtcruising said:

I guess I should have recorded it. Two of our roll call members were also there. I will reach out to them to make sure that I got it right.

What I do remember is the 6 month on and off, with Captain Kostas leaving Feb 3 (he's been onboard at least since Sept, I believe) - Captain Kafetzis will take over on Feb 3 for 6 months, vacation for 6 months, with  Captain Kostas returning. He didn't say anything about when Captain Kafetzis would be onboard to learn about the ship. He talked about Captain Kafetzis going to Apex and that he (Kostas) would eventually take over Edge III. He said something about them "leap frogging" the Edge Class ships. The Captain Kate announcement had not been made (I think it was the next day) so she wasn't named as being the one to take over the Edge.

I will come back if I hear anything from my roll call buddies who were on the same tour. I was a bit in awe of the Captain so may have misheard. 😉

Thanks.  I am really hoping that Captain Kafetzis is aboard on our January voyage.  He was Master when Barbara #2 and I did our TA on the Silhouette in 2013, and we really liked him and enjoyed his daily commentary.  He was available every day in Cafe Al Bacio for photo ops, and was very congenial and visible around the ship.  He did a Q&A in the main theater one day and it was a not-to-be-missed event!   I wish he was taking over mid January, but X doesn't listen to me when they do their Captain placement/assignments.  Maybe you can put a few words into the ear of your BFF, LLP?  I am sure she would listen to you!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, beachbunny6 said:

Thanks.  I am really hoping that Captain Kafetzis is aboard on our January voyage.  He was Master when Barbara #2 and I did our TA on the Silhouette in 2013, and we really liked him and enjoyed his daily commentary.  He was available every day in Cafe Al Bacio for photo ops, and was very congenial and visible around the ship.  He did a Q&A in the main theater one day and it was a not-to-be-missed event!   I wish he was taking over mid January, but X doesn't listen to me when they do their Captain placement/assignments.  Maybe you can put a few words into the ear of your BFF, LLP?  I am sure she would listen to you!

Ditto, I was also hoping to have him at least one of my 1/20 and 1/27 sailings. He also did a great job at Liar's Club - he was funnier than some of the comedians on the ship! I figure he'll definitely be on board since he has to familiarize himself with the operation of the ship. Whether he'll be out and about is another question. I guess he'll still need his 3pm coffee at Cafe Al Bacio :).

Edited by MisterBill99
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, beachbunny6 said:

15 minutes ago, beachbunny6 said:

Agree with you.  First time with Capt Kafetzis last month on the Reflection.   You think you've heard it all before, but believe me, if you get the chance to attend his lecture on navigating the ship, don't miss it.  He's great!  Hope he's on the Edge for our April 21st cruise.  We've sailed with Capt Kate twice and enjoy her commentary also.  Both are extremely personable and make themselves available to guests.    

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I presume you're joking.  This forum has been filled with numerous failures and misses over the last few weeks.

When I wrote this, I hadn't been on CC for a week, and the only thing I had read was VTCruising's thread. So, no, I was not aware of problems. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Control Room

I had heard the same thing in December 16th-23rd sailing from Cameron the GRM.  He said as far as anyone at Celebrity knew/was told it was Kostas/Kafetzis were the two masters assigned to Edge. He had heard the rumors about Captain Kate also, but only from passengers, not from anyone in Miami or up the internal chain of command

36 minutes ago, lovecruzin said:

From Capt Kate Instagram account

Yes, she had acknowledged it earlier in comments. She has 2 more contracts on Equinox, I believe, so likely not on Edge until late in the year.

BTW I noticed on Instagram that her husband has apparently moved from Royal to Virgin Cruises, employee #1. I'm sure that Celebrity will take good care of her to make sure she doesn't also move. Not to start any rumors, but wouldn't that be a coup!