Is Capt Kate Coming?

garyl62

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 12:43 PM, kimlovesfl said:

When I wrote this, I hadn't been on CC for a week, and the only thing I had read was VTCruising's thread. So, no, I was not aware of problems. 

Now that you've been back for a while, I presume you're now aware of all of the problems with the Edge.  It appears that Capt Kate has a plan to leave Celebrity if they transfer her to the Edge.

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 3:25 AM, ipeeinthepool said:

I heard Captain Kate has changed her schedule.  When she saw all the problems with the Edge, she said “No way.  I’m staying on the Equinox “

She shouldn't believe everything she reads on Cruise Critic. 😉:classic_biggrin:

Edited by davekathy
  • Haha 2

I'm guessing like most of us, she doesn't take much of what she reads on here as gospel. I would guess she (and the other Celebrity Masters) knows more about Edge than our collective rumors and speculation would ever have

11 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

Yes, she had acknowledged it earlier in comments. She has 2 more contracts on Equinox, I believe, so likely not on Edge until late in the year.

BTW I noticed on Instagram that her husband has apparently moved from Royal to Virgin Cruises, employee #1. I'm sure that Celebrity will take good care of her to make sure she doesn't also move. Not to start any rumors, but wouldn't that be a coup!

Her husband was named as a Virgin employee quite some time ago. Branson is on record as saying he'd hire a female captain if the opportunity arose. Well he actually said “If there is a male captain and a female captain, and they are equally qualified, we will hire the female.” You do the maths...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/news/virgin-voyages-scarlet-squad-programme-to-support-female-talent/

I have no doubt that Virgin will have approached her and no doubt that LLP will be acutely aware of Bransons remarks! 

Edited by Mynki

2 hours ago, davekathy said:

She shouldn't believe everything she reads on Cruise Critic. 😉:classic_biggrin:

I haven't seen any reports from a bridge tour on the Edge, but typically the Captain has the cabin right behind the bridge.   Based on the published beck plans and photographs it would appear that the Captain has an IV balcony.  After seeing all of the complaints about the IV balconies, I doubt Captain Kate would want any part of the Edge.

Bottom line is the only facts we know are that we don't know any facts about hers or any other peoples assignments

I do know for a fact though that the Captain doesn't get a balcony on any of the other ships, so doubt he/she has one on Edge

4 minutes ago, johhnnyt said:

Bottom line is the only facts we know are that we don't know any facts about hers or any other peoples assignments

I do know for a fact though that the Captain doesn't get a balcony on any of the other ships, so doubt he/she has one on Edge

The Captain gets the balcony cabin immediately behind the bridge on the Oasis Class ships.  Edge deck plans show Suites without the IV balcony but it stops short of the bridge.  If you look at photographs, you'll see 2 IV balconies between the suit and the bridge.  Maybe they're cabins for the officers or perhaps they are part of the bridge.  Maybe someone that has been on an Edge bridge tour can help.  

On 12/9/2018 at 11:58 AM, ipeeinthepool said:

I presume you're joking.  This forum has been filled with numerous failures and misses over the last few weeks.

Yes, complaints about the Edge that I have never seen about any ship launched by Celebrity going back many years.

• Like 1

The announcement that Capt. Kate would be coming to the Edge was made by LLP on the morning of Dec 9th at a meeting of all the Hotel directors from across the fleet that were on the Edge (we boarded that morning). Apparently it was a surprise to those in attendance. She will be on Edge as the Master for the TA from Rome to Florida this Fall.

12 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

The announcement that Capt. Kate would be coming to the Edge was made by LLP on the morning of Dec 9th at a meeting of all the Hotel directors from across the fleet that were on the Edge (we boarded that morning). Apparently it was a surprise to those in attendance. She will be on Edge as the Master for the TA from Rome to Florida this Fall.

Unless she finds a different job.

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

The Captain gets the balcony cabin immediately behind the bridge on the Oasis Class ships.  Edge deck plans show Suites without the IV balcony but it stops short of the bridge.  If you look at photographs, you'll see 2 IV balconies between the suit and the bridge.  Maybe they're cabins for the officers or perhaps they are part of the bridge.  Maybe someone that has been on an Edge bridge tour can help.  

We had a tour of the Bridge. The IV windows adjacent to the Bridge are a part of the Bridge, not the Captain's cabin.

19 hours ago, johhnnyt said:

I had heard the same thing in December 16th-23rd sailing from Cameron the GRM.  He said as far as anyone at Celebrity knew/was told it was Kostas/Kafetzis were the two masters assigned to Edge. He had heard the rumors about Captain Kate also, but only from passengers, not from anyone in Miami or up the internal chain of command

They were no longer rumors on December 16th given that it had been announced by LLP before that. There had to be a 3rd captain at some point since Kafetzis was already known to be taking out Apex. 

Edited by MisterBill99

1 hour ago, LPCKG said:

Using best endeavours to follow the updates. We board Equinox at the end of June’19...is Captain Kate still Captain or, will she have moved on by then?

Yes but not clear if she'll be on vacation or on the ship at that time.

2 hours ago, davekathy said:

Not a groupie. 

And once again I am victimized by my failing to notice that the person responding to me is not the one who originally asked the question. My reply was intended for  LPCKG, who actually does care if she'll be on the ship then. Not sure why you responded to my post, since you don't seem to care about the answer.

Edited by MisterBill99

17 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

And once again I am victimized by my failing to notice that the person responding to me is not the one who originally asked the question. My reply was intended for  LPCKG, who actually does care if she'll be on the ship then. Not sure why you responded to my post, since you don't seem to care about the answer.

Thank you MisterBill99.  I appreciate updates from fellow guests. Our next cruise will be our first Celebrity Caribbean cruise and we’ve heard very good reports from other guests and also Captain Tasos (Solstice) has spoken very highly of Captain Kate during both of our last two cruises. We’re big fans of Captain Tasos and look forward to finding out who is at the helm very soon

Edited by LPCKG
  • Like 1