Arcadia - Missed ports

Son of Anarchy

I noticed over the last few days that on her current cruise Arcadia replaced Ponta Delgado & Praia Vittoria with Cadiz and a longer than usual call at Vigo.

Her original itinerary finishes in Southampton tomorrow, however she is now due in tonight. 

I appreciate ports get replaced/missed, it's happened to us more than once,  but this seems a bit more major.

Anyone know what caused these changes?

There is a full report on one of the FB pages. The captain was trying to avoid a storm so missed some ports but went to others instead. Arcadia arrived back a day early but passengers can stay on board till tomorrow.

Cathy

Got off this cruise this morning, it was lovely.  The Captain warned us on our first night in Madeira that they were monitoring a storm that was coming across the Atlantic and that there may be a change to our itinerary.  On second Madeira day it was confirmed that we weren't going to attempt the Azores and they had replaced the ports with Cadiz and Vigo.  it was a real shame but frankly no-one wants to get caught in an Atlantic storm if they don't have to. We had an extended stay in Vigo as obviously it's not as far away and we got to see the Christmas lights which were lovely. Then on the second (or first?) sea day the Captain announced that due to the incoming storm he was going to make full speed ahead to Southampton to avoid it.  People had the opportunity to disembark if they carried their own luggage between 8.30 and 9.30 pm last night but the majority stayed on board and got off as usual this morning.  I think he made the right decision as the weather was really closing in and there seemed doubts as to whether they would be able to get into Brugges tomorrow morning.  As you can imagine though there were plenty on board who thought they knew better that the Captain!

1 hour ago, Dorset cruise fan said:

As you can imagine though there were plenty on board who thought they knew better that the Captain

1 hour ago, Dorset cruise fan said:

!

there always are

16 minutes ago, jon01 said:

Looks like Arcadia is unable to dock in Zeebrugge on Sat 8th Dec due high winds, so the passengers will have to stay on board for the entire 2 night cruise!

Exactly that happened to us a few years ago.  We like the sea days so it was a bit of a bonus to have a sea day.

15 minutes ago, jon01 said:

Looks like Arcadia is unable to dock in Zeebrugge on Sat 8th Dec due high winds, so the passengers will have to stay on board for the entire 2 night cruise!

Unfortunate but that's one of the perils of choosing a short break at this time of year.  I wonder if the chef will have enough Belgium chocolate on board to satisfy everyone who intended visiting the Bruges market?

20 minutes ago, jon01 said:

the problem apart from the wind will be pilotage boarding at the Wandelaar Pilot Station, currently wind of 35-40 knots at Koksjide   plus of course getting alongside in restricted sea room and holding position all day, I am sure some passengers will note that ferries get in but they are smaller and will have pilot exemption

We heard from one of the entertainment team that 4 tugs had been ordered at Zeebrugge to help get them in, so they did all they could to prepare and get in if possible.

On a different note, prior to our cruise I started a thread on launderettes on Arcadia. The first couple of days 2 out of 3 of the machines on our deck were out of order and caused a few problems and I know there were some issues as I kept poking my nose into the launderette and it was always busy and people waiting.  But I found in the evening I didn't have any problem at all, put washing on before dinner, moved it to tumbler before show and all worked well and was easy without resorting to 'words being said'

On my last Greek Islands cruise in September three ports were missed, including the one most people had booked for, Santorini. Instead we spent three night in Pireaus and visited Sardinia. This was due to a storm causing high winds. I claimed on insurance for 'missed ports' using the Captains Log as proof. Others went to reception and got an official letter.