Changing ships after final payment?

RickT

I’ve left a message for my X travel planner and even though I don’t think it’s possible I thought I’d check with the CC folks.  We have a 5 day cruise on The Infinity booked for March and final payment is due next week.  We’ve noticed the pricing on a 7 day sailing on the same date has dropped a fair bit and are thinking of cancelling the 5 day and booking the 7.  

Given the the number of cabins still available on the 7 day it’s possible the price will drop even further after final payment (the two sailings prior to it dropped after their final payment date) we are toying with the idea of simply cancelling our current cruise and rolling the dice that the 7 day cruise drops to the point where it makes sense to book it.  That said, we’re wondering if anyone has switched ships with the same sail date after final payment?  I know people have been able to upgrade on their same itinerary as long as the price of the new cabin is more than the old cabin but I’ve not heard if anyone has changed ships using that same criteria (spending more money).  As I said at the start, I doubt X will do this and I’ll either have to make a decision in the next week whether to rebook on the 7 day or cancel my 5 day and see what happens after final payment.

Not a huge amount of $ at risk but I always figure it’s better in my wallet than someone else’s.

Rick T:  I dealt with having to cancel a cruise after payment date when my mother, who had been diagnose with stage III or IV breast cancer in 2009 (take your pick -- the surgeon was convinced it was IV while the oncologist looked at her scared face and talked about how she needed to focus on getting better), was found in 2015 to have bone cancer mets.  While our travel insurance covered the cancelation the paperwork was a significant amount of work, right when you have a parent who now again is dealing with a fresh cancer diagnosis and you don't have a tremendous about of free time on your hands.  While our insurance reimbursed us, it wan't a fun experience.  

Last spring, after final payment date, my husband became very ill.  We were scheduled to spend over

a month on the Solstice in the South Pacific.  While his doctor were cleared him for travel, we didn't want to be that far from home for as long as we were scheduled to be on vacation without a clearer understanding as to what was happening.  Even though it was after final payment date we were able to transfer the reservations numbers (it was multiple as it was a B2B2B) to other sailings.   I did make sure that the cruises to which we were transferring were at least a little more pricer than the originals.  It was so much easier to transfer those reservations instead of cancelling.

• Like 1

To mek and CruiseGal, if you’ll read my post I start out by saying I don’t think they will.  I guess I need to expand why they might consider:

1) Upgrading to a more expensive cruise (even if it’s on a different ship)

2) Booking a cabin on a ship that appears to have more empty cabins than the ship I’m currently booked on.

3) Other businesses (airlines/hotels) allow you to change reservations that are non-refundable as long as you wind up spending more money.

while I appreciate everyone’s opinion I was asking for feedback from people who may have done this (like Northern Aurora).  As mentioned I’ve left a message with my cruise planner and will see where this goes.

To Northern Aurora, sorry to hear of your families medical issues.  Hope things are better now.

I didn't respond at first because I don't have anything definite to say, but with your further explanation I can see why you might have some hope.  Also my reading of Northern Aurora's post gives hope: the second instance involves a medical issue where the doctor gave clearance to sail but Celebrity was still flexible in transferring the booking.  In any case, you've got nothing to lose by asking.  Good luck!

Rick T:  Based on our experience I think the key issue is whether your reservations are transferrable.  In our case last spring we had no issue in transferring the reservation numbers to different sailings (kept the same reservation numbers and also were able to keep perks) even though we were past final payment date.  And as I noted I had found sailings which appealed to us and also more expensive than the original cruises.  Celebrity did not ask for any statements from his doctor, but I was clear regarding the upcoming tests.  We didn't do this on a whim.  

I don't think that the fact that we are Zenith members of the loyalty program was a factor, but the factor of most importance was that the original reservations were transferrable/amendable.  This was still quite a bit of work as we had hotel reservations (one in Hawaii, two in Australia), several refundable flights (from Alaska to Hawaii, another several days later for Hawaii to Brisbane, another from Brisbane to Sydney and more before returning home to Alaska), but the process was better than filing a travel insurance claim.

12 hours ago, RickT said:

I’ve left a message for my X travel planner and even though I don’t think it’s possible I thought I’d check with the CC folks.  We have a 5 day cruise on The Infinity booked for March and final payment is due next week.  We’ve noticed the pricing on a 7 day sailing on the same date has dropped a fair bit and are thinking of cancelling the 5 day and booking the 7.  

Given the the number of cabins still available on the 7 day it’s possible the price will drop even further after final payment (the two sailings prior to it dropped after their final payment date) we are toying with the idea of simply cancelling our current cruise and rolling the dice that the 7 day cruise drops to the point where it makes sense to book it.  That said, we’re wondering if anyone has switched ships with the same sail date after final payment?  I know people have been able to upgrade on their same itinerary as long as the price of the new cabin is more than the old cabin but I’ve not heard if anyone has changed ships using that same criteria (spending more money).  As I said at the start, I doubt X will do this and I’ll either have to make a decision in the next week whether to rebook on the 7 day or cancel my 5 day and see what happens after final payment.

Not a huge amount of $ at risk but I always figure it’s better in my wallet than someone else’s.

As others have indicated, no one really knows.  Maybe yes, maybe no.  Each situation is different.  But you seem like an educated cruiser and if you are flexible with your cabin choice and you are monitoring cabin availability, why not roll the dice?  This keeps the decision making in your hands not Celebrity.  My experience seems to be that 2 weeks after final payment is the sweet spot.  At that point prices seem to be lower and you still get the offered perks.  This should also allow adequate time to make decent airline reservations if necessary.  It appears that you are making your own reservations through Celebrity.  I'd also suggest that you consider then transferring the reservation to a TA and get whatever additional perks they may offer.  At this point, you'll likely not need the TA to do anything except give you some additional perks.

Good Luck and Enjoy your cruise.

P.

We had a TA booked in November of 2016 and my husband's recovery from a minor procedure would effect the enjoyment of our trip which was past final payment. We spoke to our online TA who intervened with Celebrity. They allowed us to book another cruise and apply the full amount to the next cruise which had to cost more than the TA and had to be booked within 30 days of the TA sailing. While it's not their policy to do this, I think they will sometimes work with you to find an equitable solution if there is a good reason for doing so. 

In 1992 I had a cruise booked with another line and my first husband died suddenly two weeks prior to the cruise. Since he was in his early forty's, we had not bought travel insurance. My travel agent attempted to have the full payment applied to another cruise much later or transferred to family members. The other cruise line would not budge so I lost over half of the cost of the cruise. You never know what they will do!

You have not made your final payment.

I booked a 2019 Med cruise while on a Celebrity January 2018 cruise with a $100/pp deposit and 2 perks (Celebrity was only offering 1 perks on their site plus onboard they were offering a extra $200 OBC).  I had already booked a Princess Med for 2019. I know I would transfer the Celebrity Med cruise with the 2 perks when the new releases for 2021 came out.

When the  Hawaii 2021 were released, I got my agent to transfer my Celebrity Med 2019 to a Hawaii 2021 keeping the same booking number and the 2 perks.  I had to pay the present cruise rate for the Hawaii cruise.

When the 2021 Caribbean were released, I got my agent to transfer my Celebrity Hawaii 2021 to a Caribbean 2021 keeping the same booking number and the 2 perks.  I had to pay the current cruise pay for the Caribbean cruise.

I would get your agent to transfer your 5 day  to the 7 day instead of canceling.

Have your purchased your air for the 5 day cruise?  If you have you would have a penalty to change dates.

Edited by phabric

I booked directly with Celebrity.  My Cruise Planner is off today but will call her Monday.  Depending on what she says I may switch to the 7 day before final payment, or I may choose to roll the dice in hopes of better pricing on the 7 day (lots of cabins still available).

As far as Air we've already booked out flights but added a couple days on the end to hang around Miami so they are good for the 5 or 7 day cruise.

7 minutes ago, RickT said:

I booked directly with Celebrity.  My Cruise Planner is off today but will call her Monday.  Depending on what she says I may switch to the 7 day before final payment, or I may choose to roll the dice in hopes of better pricing on the 7 day (lots of cabins still available).

As far as Air we've already booked out flights but added a couple days on the end to hang around Miami so they are good for the 5 or 7 day cruise.

Let us know what you decide

Quick update.  I spoke with my X Travel Planner and discussed what I was thinking of doing.  Her response was that any such change after final payment would normally require a cancellation of my existing booking and incur the cancellation penalty at that time.  Her use of the word normally might mean depending on the circumstances there may be other options.

She also reviewed my current booking and noticed my deposit was only $210 Canadian (total) and that would be the most I would forfeit as long as I cancelled/changed by January 19th.

Given the 7 day cruise is almost double what I am paying for my 5 day cruise (not to mention only 1 perk  instead of my current 2 perks) I don't see that I've got a lot to lose by waiting to see how the pricing on the 7 day cruise changes and perhaps seeing if two perks are offered over the holidays or in the New Year.

In looking at pricing for the same 7 day cruise on sail dates that have already passed final payment date I think I can expect a drop of approx $500 per person off the current fare which would more than offset any possible loss of current deposit.

Either way I'll be cruising in March.  I'll be sure to come back with an update if I do change sailings.