Amalfi or Cinque Terre

Luv2cruz1000

Need opinions. We are wanting to visit a costal area on our cruise. We are looking for the most economical "bang for our buck". Do we want to visit Cinque Terre  from Livorno or Amalfi  coast from Naples. We also have stops in Rome and dock in Venice. This will likely be our only Trip to Italy and want to see the most we can. We are sailing on Legend in  July 2020. Struggling with missing Florence or possibly Capri. Look forward to  opinions from others more knowledgeable about Italy than we are! We will likely not book from the ship but from other excursion groups. 

If those are the two choices you're considering, I would advise the Amalfi Coast from Naples, for several reasons:

1) It's a better day, time-wise to do a drive along the Amalfi Coast from Naples than to do Cinque Terre from Livorno as it's nearly two hours by car to do the latter and that's just the transit time. (The train is no better; the schedule makes it difficult for a day trip.)

2) Florence is a better use of your day in Livorno, as most -- including myself -- consider it one of the must see places in Italy. It will be your only chance to see something of Tuscany, plus Florence is of course a treasure trove of Renaissance art and architecture.

3)  Capri is not that different from the Amalfi Coast, so you are not missing so much if you don't visit it. Alternatively, you could skip the Amalfi Coast and visit Capri instead -- you will still see some coast and coastal views plus enjoy what Capri has to offer.  However,  most will tell you the Amalfi Coast is not to be missed...

As to the economics of it, look for a private tour to share (on your roll call); this makes the cost reasonable for most -- better than the ship tour prices and a much better experience all around.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Thanks 1

We visited Cinque Terre a couple of months back - and were sorely disappointed especially after all the hype.

Despite being mid-week and out-of-season it was packed.

Packed as in standing room only on the village trains, and we couldn't pick & choose where to stop for eats/drinks - that was a matter of hoping to find somewhere with a couple of empty seats. At the harbourside places there were hopefuls prowling round the sides like vultures, hoping to be quickest when someone got up to leave. Including one altercation over who had won a round of "musical chairs". Worse than finding a parking space in central London. And just as expensive.

You'll also be disappointed by the views -  we didn't find one "panoramic" view. Most of the train journeys from village to village are through tunnels, and road meanders inland.

Pisa or Florence make a lot more sense.

And if your hours in port are good & you're not too fussed about going into museums & such in Florence, you can fit in both of them.

Pisa is between Livorno & Florence - if you go independently by train aim to stop off there on the way back. It's much closer to the ship and there are local trains to Livorno from Pisa as well as the (hourly? ) trains from Florence. Florence train tickets permit a stop-off at no extra cost.

-------------------------------------------------

The Amalfi coast is very different to Cinque Terre.

Yes, the high  coastal road is busy and slow, but magnificent unimpeded panoramic views along most of it. 

You can make a decent circular trip around the peninsula - Naples to Sorrento to Positano to Amalfi to Ravello, and back across the spine to the north coast.

But the only way to do it is a private or shared-van tour. For example Rome-in-Limo (they don't just operate in the Rome area).

By local bus is too unreliable because it's over-subscribed, and it doesn't drop down into Positano.

Renting a car is only suitable if you can con someone in your party to do the driving - they' won't see the views cos on much of that road they'll be too busy avoiding badly-parked cars and kamikaze scooterists. And unsuccessfully hunting for parking places.:classic_ohmy:

You can fix a tour from Naples, or fix a tour from Sorrento and take the ferry across from adjacent Naples cruise terminal to Sorrento harbour.

And check your cruise RollCall to see if anyone else is organising a van tour & looking for sharers.

Or if that all sounds a bit too fraught or expensive, take the ferry to Capri instead. Amazing vertical views from way up in the town.Take a fat wallet with you if you want to eat.

JB  :classic_smile:

• Like 1

We have visited the Amalfi Coast twice and then CT.  Our reaction to CT was that it was similar to Amalfi.  I am glad we went to CT but if I had to choose only one, it would be the Amalfi Coast first.  

First picture is from Almalfi and second from CT.

IMG_1662.JPG

IMG_0068.JPG

I have been to Amalfi before, but my husband has not.  We are going in April and I have booked Pompeii, Sorrento and The Amalfi coast due to his interest in seeing Pompeii with ItalyTours.EU.  We have discovered that the day of our tour is a national holiday in Italy, and they will not know until the week of the tour if Pompeii will be open.  If not, I am requesting a stop in Postiano.  I have heard nothing but positive reviews about this company and we have booked three tours with them for this trip.

Amalfi gets my vote. Ravello is one of the most beautiful places we have ever been to. Ravello, the town of Amalfi and Poisitano are the must sees. Capri is very nice especially   If you like upscale shops. But if I were time limited, I would skip Capri.

Cinque Terre really is not a good choice for the cruise tourist on a blitz drive-by.  It's a great choice for a traveler who is spending some days and nights there.   Thanks to Rick Steves and the new cruisers trying to do a couple of hours, it has become increasingly crowded during the day (the number of Italian daytrippers were bad enough).   CT has two lives - between 9-5 and early morning/5-bedtime.  One of my favorite views doesn't get much time by cruise tourists - the trail between Vernazza and Monterosso al Mare - spectacular views of both villages and the coastline.   

If you have just a few hours, I'd do Amalfi - they are used to thousands descending on it and have all the amenities for tourists.

Agree that the Cinque Terre has been overrun, (the Rick Steve’s effect) not to mention the huge landslides that destroyed much of the pathways that are still not all repaired.    

Florence is incredible so  that is a win win.  Also we love Lucca and you can do it and Pisa in a day trip from Livorno.  

I love Capri,  agree that the Amalfi is gorgeous,  but the experience sailing into Capri is lovely and much more relaxing then the tight turns on the Amalfi road.   And you might still have time for pizza in Naples!   

On 12/11/2018 at 7:29 AM, mskaufman said:

We have visited the Amalfi Coast twice and then CT.  Our reaction to CT was that it was similar to Amalfi.  I am glad we went to CT but if I had to choose only one, it would be the Amalfi Coast first.  

First picture is from Almalfi and second from CT.

IMG_1662.JPG

IMG_0068.JPG

I am taking my first ever Mediterranean cruise Aug 2019 and all I want to do is take a Gondola ride in Venice and stand right there...in that spot....by the water in Amalfi (Positano). Just beautiful!