Edge inferior in many ways to Reflection

cruzemaven

The Solarium on The Reflection was perfectly air conditioned with no chlorine smell...not so on The Edge. Found The Edge Solariom to be warm and humid and smelling of chlorine.Murano, Lawn Grill  and Tuscan Grill are much better specialty restaurants than any restaurants on the Edge. The bar lounge outside Murano is lovely with the addition of a small trio playing music....nothing like that on The Edge. Entertainment on The Edge was painful to endure- so we left. Entertainment on The Reflection was a tad better but also far from good. Loved the tribute to ABBA in The Grand Foyer on The Reflection...nothing like that on The Edge. The Retreat is no big deal and Luminae is only fair. Silhouette and Reflection are my choices over The Edge. Definitely disappointed in The Edge accept for the beautiful interior of the ship.  The Edge doesn't offer any improvements to the entire cruise experience...The Magic Carpet is not magical enough to lure us back onto this ship.

Since the Dec 1 sailing was a three night preview cruise, how were you able to have dinner in Luminae, which you stated is only fair, as well as having had dinner in Rooftop Garden Grill, Fine Cut Steakhouse, Eden and on the Magic Carpet?  You state that Murano, Lawn Grill and Tuscan Grill are much better specialty restaurants and after factoring in your dinner at Luminae, that leaves you with only two nights to make your evaluations of the other FOUR specialty locations.  It just doesn't add up that you can make sweeping evaluations without being able to logically substantiate it.

I am looking forward to spending 4 evenings in the Fine Cut Steakhouse in 13 months since their menu, on paper, looks fabulous.  Hopefully reality will exceed my expectations.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, cruzemaven said:

The Solarium on The Reflection was perfectly air conditioned with no chlorine smell...not so on The Edge. Found The Edge Solariom to be warm and humid and smelling of chlorine.Murano, Lawn Grill  and Tuscan Grill are much better specialty restaurants than any restaurants on the Edge. The bar lounge outside Murano is lovely with the addition of a small trio playing music....nothing like that on The Edge. Entertainment on The Edge was painful to endure- so we left. Entertainment on The Reflection was a tad better but also far from good. Loved the tribute to ABBA in The Grand Foyer on The Reflection...nothing like that on The Edge. The Retreat is no big deal and Luminae is only fair. Silhouette and Reflection are my choices over The Edge. Definitely disappointed in The Edge accept for the beautiful interior of the ship.  The Edge doesn't offer any improvements to the entire cruise experience...The Magic Carpet is not magical enough to lure us back onto this ship.

Thank you for your balanced and comprehensive review of your experience(s) on the ship.

It does sound like The Edge is not the vessel for you.

bon voyage

4 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Since the Dec 1 sailing was a three night preview cruise, how were you able to have dinner in Luminae, which you stated is only fair, as well as having had dinner in Rooftop Garden Grill, Fine Cut Steakhouse, Eden and on the Magic Carpet?  You state that Murano, Lawn Grill and Tuscan Grill are much better specialty restaurants and after factoring in your dinner at Luminae, that leaves you with only two nights to make your evaluations of the other FOUR specialty locations.  It just doesn't add up that you can make sweeping evaluations without being able to logically substantiate it.

I am looking forward to spending 4 evenings in the Fine Cut Steakhouse in 13 months since their menu, on paper, looks fabulous.  Hopefully reality will exceed my expectations.

You are the one making sweeping allegations...if you read correctly what I wrote,  I never said we had dinner at The Rooftop Garden, Eden or The Magic Garden. There are other criteria besides food that can determine which restaurant is preferable. We had a reservation at The Rooftop Garden but had to cancel because the wind was so strong that dining there would have been difficult and challenging- on The Reflection the Lawn Grill is sheltered from the wind with a glass enclosed dining area- and, therefore,  in my opinion makes it a better venue for a comfortable dining experience when the ship is sailing. We spent two nights having cocktails in Eden before we went for dinner at Fine Cut and Luminae and did not enjoy the weird ambience nor the Eden Sprite that is part of the "experience "...so, on the third night, we tried The Martini Bar lounge area which was a madhouse. Had to wait a long time before we were able to find a place to sit. This past August we were on a completely sold out cruise on The Reflection  and never found the lounge areas to be crowded...because there were more lounge venues The Magic Carpet is a platform ( which we walked onto)and  not particularly attractive enough to entice us to want to dine there. On the last night on The Edge, we dined in The Cosmopolitan ( one of four main dining rooms) and the food there was as mediocre as it is in the main dining rooms on The Reflection and The Silhouette. We would choose to cruise again on The Silhouette or The Reflection over The Edge because we like the specialty restaurants' ambience and menu choices better, more comfortable cocktail lounges and an air conditioned solarium that doesn't wreak of chlorine. However, there's definitely the wow factor when you first come onboard The Edge and see how beautifully the interior of the entire ship is decorated and constructed. The theatre , itself, is also amazing with phenomenal cutting edge technology. 

We have now sailed on Equinox, Silhouette and Eclipse. How does Reflection compare? I noticed that the Sky lounge has been reduced in size to allow a few larger suites... but other than that was not sure how they compare.

The solarium is one area that I think is nicer on the S class, just my opinion from looking at pictures.  The Edge solarium pool looks smaller and the area isn't quite as open and airy.  I wouldn't say that the solarium on Edge is bad by any stretch but I don't think it's an improvement.

• Like 1

We are partial to Equinox and Silhouette.. We  thought Reflection felt crowded

,( other than BLU,)  it had  the Solarium and spa on 2 diff levels, reduced size nightclub/lounge ...and  we disliked the big round aft bar that truncated the area in two  .Everyone has their own tastes,  fav ship and opinions,

Looking forward to EDGE..the good, the bad etc.. I do not think we need to try and discredit other posters...the more info we get, the better but in the end we each decide what we  do and do not like

5 hours ago, kearney said:

We have now sailed on Equinox, Silhouette and Eclipse. How does Reflection compare? I noticed that the Sky lounge has been reduced in size to allow a few larger suites... but other than that was not sure how they compare.

Celebrity polled their guests on the earlier S-class ships, and not one person suggested: it would really make the ship better if you added lots more passengers and subtracted available public spaces.  But that's what they did! :classic_huh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Celebrity polled their guests on the earlier S-class ships, and not one person suggested: it would really make the ship better if you added lots more passengers and subtracted available public spaces.  But that's what they did! :classic_huh:

I am curious... do you have any idea how many additional passengers they can get on this ship? Did they take other public space as well? I think I would miss the broad expansive view out the front... For some reason the expansive view out the back at Eden... doesn't have the appeal... not that I have experienced it yet... but something about looking forward vs backward. I don't mind a suite only section... just wished there was a nice place to look forward with a nice drink in hand... and somehow standing on a treadmill just doesn't do it for me 🙂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kearney said:

I am curious... do you have any idea how many additional passengers they can get on this ship? Did they take other public space as well? I think I would miss the broad expansive view out the front... For some reason the expansive view out the back at Eden... doesn't have the appeal... not that I have experienced it yet... but something about looking forward vs backward. I don't mind a suite only section... just wished there was a nice place to look forward with a nice drink in hand... and somehow standing on a treadmill just doesn't do it for me 🙂

I was referring to Reflection, in answer to a question about how it compares to the other S-class.  Solstic, Equinox and Eclipse have 2,852 passengers; Reflection has 3,046.  That puts 194 more passengers looking for a seat in the theater, a lounger at the pool, etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I was referring to Reflection, in answer to a question about how it compares to the other S-class.  Solstic, Equinox and Eclipse have 2,852 passengers; Reflection has 3,046.  That puts 194 more passengers looking for a seat in the theater, a lounger at the pool, etc.

Actually I meant Reflection... and then got distracted into Edge... and Eden.... vs sky lounge

15 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Host Jazzbeau, well said.

Removal of the forward viewing lounge means no booking from my household and our friends who travel with us.

The point of Edge is to transform Celebrity into floating las vegas where the ocean is not much of a factor, actually it a distraction that does not maximize on board spending.

Also, with posters reporting a reduction in the food offerings in Luminae, that spells downgrading as well.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2018 at 10:31 AM, kearney said:

The Silhouette is probably preferable to The Reflection because Celebrity added additional cabins to The Reflection which increases the amount of passengers on basically the same size ship. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, cruzemaven said:

The Silhouette is probably preferable to The Reflection because Celebrity added additional cabins to The Reflection which increases the amount of passengers on basically the same size ship. 

+1. I’ve sailed all S class and Reflection twice. I prefer the other ships to her because I felt crowded on Reflection and did not notice this feeling on the other ships. If I booked S class again it would probably be Silhouette.

17 minutes ago, CruisingTheWaves said:

+1. I’ve sailed all S class and Reflection twice. I prefer the other ships to her because I felt crowded on Reflection and did not notice this feeling on the other ships. If I booked S class again it would probably be Silhouette.

I wonder if the additional passengers resulting from adding suites... is what makes it feel more crowded... I wonder what will happen when the Edgify the rest of the fleet.... I think Equinox will be done by June.... wonder if it just a decor change... more gray... or if they can make substantial physical changes... like reducing size of sky lounge by adding suites... or removing it to add resort stuff. I have to be honest... I noticed very little difference between Equinox, Silhouette and Eclipse this past year. There were a few venue differences.. but nothing substantial... I have to say.. the one thing I did not really care for... were most of the chandeliers in the main atrium area... not a big deal.. but I prefer more classic styles...one was okay but I don't remember which ship. I tell you though that the main dinning room kinda made me think of Vegas Elvis... too much shiny white and chrome. But easy to look past... the food and service was fabulous... 

1 minute ago, kearney said:

I wonder if the additional passengers resulting from adding suites... is what makes it feel more crowded... I wonder what will happen when the Edgify the rest of the fleet.... I think Equinox will be done by June.... wonder if it just a decor change... more gray... or if they can make substantial physical changes... like reducing size of sky lounge by adding suites... or removing it to add resort stuff. I have to be honest... I noticed very little difference between Equinox, Silhouette and Eclipse this past year. There were a few venue differences.. but nothing substantial... I have to say.. the one thing I did not really care for... were most of the chandeliers in the main atrium area... not a big deal.. but I prefer more classic styles...one was okay but I don't remember which ship. I tell you though that the main dinning room kinda made me think of Vegas Elvis... too much shiny white and chrome. But easy to look past... the food and service was fabulous... 

I wasn’t ever a huge fan of the dining room design on S class. I think they definitely could have changed this design on the newer S class ships, it was almost like they were trying to be futuristic with the white (reminds me of the retro 1960s futuristic look). Only time will tell how much of S class they will change, but it’s honestly in their best interest to keep much of it the same, there’s a reason people choose to sail a particular class of ship. If I want the edge experience I’ll sail Edge. A trickle of it would be okay on S class, but there’s things about that class people love and they shouldn’t go crazy trying to change so much of it.

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 12:47 AM, cruzemaven said:

That's nice.  Happy sailing