Perk Packages Question

crash3x

I just made my booking for the Bliss and I have 3 packages   Beverage, Specialty Dining and Internet.   Is the starbucks included with drink package and do we receive the reusable cup with the drink package or do I have to bring my own?   Dining package , I was told I get 3 dinners but the website says 5 and I am to be charged gratuities for  what would be the cost of specialty dining.  How much would that be?  What are the best of the restaurant  choices.     How do you keep track of minutes of internet use. If you don't log out does the clock keep ticking?  Silly question I know but I have always had unlimited internet on Celebrity.

6 minutes ago, crash3x said:

I just made my booking for the Bliss and I have 3 packages   Beverage, Specialty Dining and Internet.   Is the starbucks included with drink package and do we receive the reusable cup with the drink package or do I have to bring my own?   Dining package , I was told I get 3 dinners but the website says 5 and I am to be charged gratuities for  what would be the cost of specialty dining.  How much would that be?  What are the best of the restaurant  choices.     How do you keep track of minutes of internet use. If you don't log out does the clock keep ticking?  Silly question I know but I have always had unlimited internet on Celebrity.

No reusable cup with UBP.  The reusable cup is part of the soda package typically.

Depends on cruise length as to how many dinners you get.  They recently changed that up a bit but I think it's 6-7 day is 3 dinners, 8-9 day is 4 dinners and 10 or more is 5 dinners.  I could be off on the number of days a bit...

You paid the gratuities when you booked for both packages.  I'll be honest though, on the dinners, we always leave something more when we dine.  I just feel like it's the right thing to do and since the meal was free, what does it hurt to leave another $10 or $15 bucks for the actual server that took care of us.

We love Cagney's (steakhouse), Teppanyaki (hibachi), La Cucina (Italian) and Los Lobos (Mexican but only on select ships).   The newer ships have more speciality choices usually as well.

I've never used internet so can't provide much there but I do know that you need to be sure to LOGOFF when you're done otherwise your device will stay connected and use your time up.

When we sailed the internet would tell you minutes remaining when you logged in and out. We would turn wifi off on our phones if we weren't going to log in to prevent accidents. Definitely log out so you don't waste it. I also was a fan of pre-typing email or facebook posts before connecting to avoid wasting time.

12 hours ago, crash3x said:

How do you keep track of minutes of internet use. If you don't log out does the clock keep ticking?  Silly question I know but I have always had unlimited internet on Celebrity.

Now about that internet package - go to the internet café and talk with the manager about installing the logon-logoff apt

to your device. Then what ever plan you have use the apt to log on and remember when finished log-off RIGHT-AWAY !

If you have one of the 250 minute perk packages THINK that is only 4 hours and 10 minutes fail to log-off and when you

come back your time is up gone zilch expired and a humiliating one time trip to the café manager who MAY reset the

time back.  Best solution is sign on for the one of the UNLIMITED TIME programs converting your 250 minutes program to

rebate/reduction of the plan - something around $110 dollars or so - then you won't have worry about running out of time

slow reception of emails and other data and you will be good to use the allotted time till you are disembarked off the ship

at the end of the cruise.

Have additional minutes time because you are Platinum use that the first day and on the second day visit the internet

café and getting a better break on the program - ask the internet café manager how this works.

LINK to on board internet packages:

https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/internet-packages

Note the three unlimited packages - if you are just email texting low stuff go with basic - if you are doing more discuss

the merits of the advanced programs with the manager - streaming video you will probably want to the most expensive plan.

WHAT EVER PLAN - remember to log-off anyway even if you can run the clock out - THINK security !

Edited by don't-use-real-name
remove extra underlining

1) No to Specialty Coffee's (Starbucks), I usually go to Atrium Bar and ADD a shot of Bailey's or something "flavorful ".

2) You have already paid gratuity on Specialty Dining. 7 day cruises you get 3 Specialty Restaurants. Tipping extra is entirely up to you.

3) Always "Log Off"

53 minutes ago, Guanaskip said:

I was wondering the same thing on gratuities for UBP. Are gratuities included with all the drinks?

If you get the UBP as part of your freebies, there is a separate charge for tips ( since you never “pay” for drinks). For UBP, specialty dining and wi-fi, it totaled over $300 for a 7 day cruise for us!

I read a little more. Looks like 20 bucks a day charged to you as “gratuities”/tips per day for drink package. Are you charge a similar fee for the 3 meal specialty dining?. Some say it is included in package, others say they add it on like the bev package, so I remained confused (maybe I need to change my login name😀)

thanks for the input CIL...

3 hours ago, Guanaskip said:

I read a little more. Looks like 20 bucks a day charged to you as “gratuities”/tips per day for drink package. Are you charge a similar fee for the 3 meal specialty dining?. Some say it is included in package, others say they add it on like the bev package, so I remained confused (maybe I need to change my login name😀)

We had no other charges appear on the quote.

just pulled the trigger today.

P.S. On Viking we pay $20 per day for the entire drink package including tips!!

3 hours ago, Guanaskip said:

If you get the UBP/UOB as a promo, the 20% is added and paid before you get on the ship. You do not pay per day after you board. If you buy the UBP/UOB, the 20% is added at the time of purchase.

Those without a package are charged 20% per drink.

The SDP is the same as above. If you get the package as a promo, the 20% is paid before boarding.

Some people have "all inclusive" pricing and some have the 20% waived because of a group booking or discount given by a travel agent but for the majority, the above applies.

7 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

If you get the UBP as part of your freebies, there is a separate charge for tips ( since you never “pay” for drinks). For UBP, specialty dining and wi-fi, it totaled over $300 for a 7 day cruise for us!

The 20% is a service charge...they’re NOT tips. Why can’t people understand that? A majority of that 20% you pay goes right into NCLs pockets.

On 12/13/2018 at 9:10 AM, rtkenmore said:

No reusable cup with UBP.  The reusable cup is part of the soda package typically.

Depends on cruise length as to how many dinners you get.  They recently changed that up a bit but I think it's 6-7 day is 3 dinners, 8-9 day is 4 dinners and 10 or more is 5 dinners.  I could be off on the number of days a bit...

You paid the gratuities when you booked for both packages.  I'll be honest though, on the dinners, we always leave something more when we dine.  I just feel like it's the right thing to do and since the meal was free, what does it hurt to leave another $10 or $15 bucks for the actual server that took care of us.

We love Cagney's (steakhouse), Teppanyaki (hibachi), La Cucina (Italian) and Los Lobos (Mexican but only on select ships).   The newer ships have more speciality choices usually as well.

I've never used internet so can't provide much there but I do know that you need to be sure to LOGOFF when you're done otherwise your device will stay connected and use your time up.

Mine correction: Your meal was NOT free. Food is included in your cruise fare, you then selected a more expensive fare in order to get the dining package plus you pay a 20% service charge on top of that. Far from free.

Example:

Bliss 7 day next month

Balcony with no perks = $2,991 total

Balcony with 3 perks =  $4,160

So you just paid $1,169 to get your 3 perks. Again, far from “free”.

Edited by DaCruiseBug
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

Mine correction: Your meal was NOT free. Food is included in your cruise fare, you then selected a more expensive fare in order to get the dining package plus you pay a 20% service charge on top of that. Far from free.

I'm not going to argue semantics with you...

When the server brings my check and the check says $0.00...  My meal was free as far as I'm concerned.

On top of that, you have no idea whether I normally book a sail-away rate and then buy the SDP separately or book a rate that includes the package as a choice...

Later...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaCruiseBug said:

The 20% is a service charge...they’re NOT tips. Why can’t people understand that? A majority of that 20% you pay goes right into NCLs pockets.

Still wrong.  1) Even if something is called a "service charge" if the customer can control the amount paid (as they can with the DSC) then it is accounted for as a gratuity.  2) If a reasonable person thinks its a gratuity because company advertising calls it a gratuity, then it can be accounted for as a gratuity.  3) If it is accounted for as a gratuity then it must be paid 100% to the service providers.   

Why would management want to do this?  If it's accounted for as gratuities then it is not included in revenue.  If it's not included in revenue then it improves the revenue/expense ratio.  Revenue/expense ratio is a key driver of stock price.  Senior management is compensated on stock price performance.   So management is better off by accounting for service charge payments as gratuities and paying it 100% to the service providers. 

Edited by senseib

1 hour ago, rtkenmore said:

I'm not going to argue semantics with you...

When the server brings my check and the check says $0.00...  My meal was free as far as I'm concerned.

On top of that, you have no idea whether I normally book a sail-away rate and then buy the SDP separately or book a rate that includes the package as a choice...

Later...

Its not semantics at all, it’s common sense.

If I go and buy a car that’s $20,000 but pay $21,000 for that car because the dealership added  oil changes for 5 years then do you say you got free oil changes because when you get your bill it says $0 or did you simply prepay them when you paid extra at the time you purchased yorcar? It’s just basis common sense.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, senseib said:

Still wrong.  1) Even if something is called a "service charge" if the customer can control the amount paid (as they can with the DSC) then it is accounted for as a gratuity.  2) If a reasonable person thinks its a gratuity because company advertising calls it a gratuity, then it can be accounted for as a gratuity.  3) If it is accounted for as a gratuity then it must be paid 100% to the service providers.   

Why would management want to do this?  If it's accounted for as gratuities then it is not included in revenue.  If it's not included in revenue then it improves the revenue/expense ratio.  Revenue/expense ratio is a key driver of stock price.  Senior management is compensated on stock price performance.   So management is better off by accounting for service charge payments as gratuities and paying it 100% to the service providers. 

The DSC are optional and yes you can call them gratuities because most of that does go to the workers. You have to fight after you get off the ship to get that money back but it is an option. When you get a drink or dining package the 20% is NOT optional. NCL on their website doesn’t even call it a 20% gratuity. They call it a 20% “gratuity and service charge”. You know why? Because they legally can’t cal it a gratuity if it doesn’t all go to the workers. This way they can legally keep most of it and give a small piece of it to the workers as “incentives”. A service charge does count as revenue, it’s like a baggage surcharge for airlines...no difference.

13 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

Example:

Bliss 7 day next month

Balcony with no perks = $2,991 total

Balcony with 3 perks =  $4,160

So you just paid $1,169 to get your 3 perks. Again, far from “free”.

Whilst I don’t disagree with your basic point, are the two rooms identical other than the perks?

i can’t see the specifics regarding the US offers, but last I knew the sailaway prices had restrictions on things like being able to select specific cabins, or even their availability in some categories. That is certainly the case in the U.K. In such instances not all of the extra cost relates directly to the packages, and in some

Individual circumstances the added value of the cabin can even be more than the extra costs for the perks.

Again, not necessarily disagreeing with your basic point, but there are often many other factors involved.

3 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

Whilst I don’t disagree with your basic point, are the two rooms identical other than the perks?

i can’t see the specifics regarding the US offers, but last I knew the sailaway prices had restrictions on things like being able to select specific cabins, or even their availability in some categories. That is certainly the case in the U.K. In such instances not all of the extra cost relates directly to the packages, and in some

Individual circumstances the added value of the cabin can even be more than the extra costs for the perks.

Again, not necessarily disagreeing with your basic point, but there are often many other factors involved.

Sail Away Rates don’t qualify for Free At Sea freebies.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Sail Away Rates don’t qualify for Free At Sea freebies.

I know that. It’s not what I was asking.

My question is what are the differences other than not qualifying for free at sea. For example, can you choose your room? Can you get an aft room? Can you choose that room that you know is bigger than others in the category?

All those factors have a value, and take away from the point which the person I quoted was making about the amount that people are effectively paying for free at sea.

For example. There is a room on the Spirit which is much bigger than others in the same category. In fact, it is similar in size to many suites, but is thousands of pounds cheaper. I would happily pay more for that room than a standard balcony room, but can only choose it by paying the all inclusive rate rather than the U.K. version of sail away. The amount extra that I have to pay for all inclusive is less than I think the extra value that the room gives me. Therefore, the all inclusive benefits for that booking are indeed free to me, and I could even argue result in a lower fare than I would need to pay for an equivalent room without the perks.

1 hour ago, KeithJenner said:

My question is what are the differences other than not qualifying for free at sea. For example, can you choose your room? Can you get an aft room? Can you choose that room that you know is bigger than others in the category?

Here is NCL's description of the Sail Away Balcony rate for the Bliss:

Sail Away Balcony

As our lowest available rate for this category, a Sail Away Balcony stateroom guarantees you’ll receive a Balcony stateroom or better! Please note that the view from your balcony may be fully obstructed or partially obstructed. Your stateroom may be on any deck and assigned up to one day prior to embarkation. Promotional rates and offers are excluded on this category (BX).

6 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

A sailaway is a balcony guarantee. Meaning they’ll pick the cabin for you. 

Having said that, some of the categories with perks are also guarantee rooms where you don’t get to pick so in those cases the only difference is the perks.

Also, in the instance I quoted the category allows you to pick your room but it’s the lowest balcony category available so it’s the least desirable balcony rooms anyways. If you want a better location or act facing etc you’re going to have to shell out several hundred dollars more.

At the end of the day the only reason for the price difference really is the “free perks” which any reasonable individual can figure out are not so free.

If you picked the Dinning Perk. I know the first & second get three specialty meals on a seven night cruise. However can go to dinner with two other people that don't have the perk and just use two credits from both the first and second person to cover them?