new (later) boarding times?

VermeulT

5 minutes ago, detroit70 said:

to clarify, Wannagonow123:  most of the several hundred who were at the port at 11 am we’re not 4 star or Neptune’s with priority boarding. They just didn’t have the priority checkin but, as I watched the two line move, I don’t think they waited much longer as we had one person to check us in, and they had several. In other words, from my observation today, had you arrived at the port at 11, you probably could have boarded shortly after me.  I’m sorry. 

Now that 2000 other passengers have broken the code (show up when you want anyway),  everything should be just fine. 

So when other passengers play by the rules and wait their turn easing the overall wait times, you now brag that showing up early worked for you,  because enough of your fellow passengers did cooperate up front with this new system? tell me what I am missing here. 

Edited by OlsSalt

1 hour ago, OlsSalt said:

Now that 2000 other passengers have broken the code (show up when you want anyway),  everything should be just fine. 

So when other passengers play by the rules and wait their turn easing the overall wait times, you now brag that showing up early worked for you,  because enough of your fellow passengers did cooperate up front with this new system? tell me what I am missing here. 

Frankly, OleSalt, today at 11 the numbers at the port really looked little different than any of my previous 12 HAL cruises. And ironically, the muster drill had to be delayed due to late arrivals which would have been those arriving for their 3:30 check in time. 

I’m not going to respond further to the kind of comments you made about me. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

You may want to read Post 47 as that says that he was in the Neptune Lounge at 11:40.  My understanding is that only Neptune and Pinnacle suite guests are allowed in the lounge which means he had priority boarding.  Not only that, he is a 4 star Mariner and the letter states that 4 or 5 Star Mariner's can board any time they wish. In other words, he DID play by the rules.  That is what you are missing.

• Like 2

The part of this that makes no sense is why don't they just start boarding times at 11 or so, and stagger them from there, instead of starting at 1? Rooms may not be ready but even later passengers would have some time to explore public areas and ship layout before the muster drill.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Hhagatha said:

The part of this that makes no sense is why don't they just start boarding times at 11 or so, and stagger them from there, instead of starting at 1? Rooms may not be ready but even later passengers would have some time to explore public areas and ship layout before the muster drill.

My thinking too. 

We have had both rooms ready and not ready when we board. It's just nice to be on, explo ring and getting familiar with the ship, making reservations, and enjoying a snack and glass of wine. 

Edited by fatcat04

On 12/20/2018 at 3:19 PM, catl331 said:

The loading of bags is not affected by the staggered boarding, and if you drop your bags off early before you go kill some time they may be in the room before you are. And if you don't get them in time to change you will be allowed into the MDR in shorts.

This happened to us on one of our cruises-my husband was in shorts and I was in jeans.  Yes, we could have eaten at the Lido but went to the dining room.  My husband was quietly told shorts weren’t acceptable while I told the maître de our luggage hadn’t come yet.  We were seated promptly but they do tell you in a nice way and let you in.  

On 12/20/2018 at 12:29 AM, Crusinsusan2 said:

Much like everyone else we have always tried to arrive early and board for lunch. Our last cruise on the Eurodam changed our minds. We absolutely realize now after too many cruises to count that at least 1000 people (us included always) rushing the boarding process severely impacts the the first few days of your cruise. There is no way any crew/cabin attendants can properly take the care necessary to properly clean/disinfect each cabin/public areas between cruises, get the room preferences/drink cards/excursions/pre arrival in cabin orders in place when they literally have a minimum of 2 hours and a max of 3 hours to do so for new guests. 2-3 guys turning around 32 cabins for new guests and luggage leaves only about 5 minute per cabin. IMPOSSIBLE other than quick wipe, luggage sheets on bed and sheet change. Yes some will say "I have never had an issue with early boarding and everything was perfect" We were those folks, until we found others peoples clothes, hair, breakfast goo on tables in the cabin and did the math for turnaround day. Did not blame our attendants for one second, blamed ourselves for needing to be on the ship at 11:45 when in fact as passengers we don't give the hard working crew enough time in between guests to make it as lovely as it can be and should be for us.  

I know we are most likely in the minority but we will now gladly arrive later or at our designated time to ensure a spotless ship, cabin and a refreshed organized non-rushed crew to begin our cruise. Let's face it you can't check into a land based hotel on vacation earlier than 3:00pm in any decent hotel!  If you arrive when designated and things aren't up to satisfaction then the complaint dept. should be officially opened.     

Agree with you fully. Never thought about the link between hotel rooms being available around 3pm and cruise boarding before, but makes total sense. In future we will take heed of the boarding time, leave our luggage at the hotel and take a leisurely stroll until assigned time.

I sailed on the Kdam when she first came to America Nov.2016 . It was a 4 day cruise and I got the email to check in at 1:30 as the USCG had to inspect the ship. I live 30 min. north of the port and usually arrive for a cruise check in around 10am. For this cruise I arrived 11:30 and boarding had already started and I was on about 11:45 there were no other people waiting to board. But cabins were't ready till 3pm.

I got the same type of email about a USCG inspection for my 12/03/18 cruise on Majesty of the Seas saying not to arrive till after 12 noon. I ignored it, got there at 10am and was on board at 10:45am.

I'm on the Kdam 1/04/19 and am getting to the port about 10:30. If I have wait I will, if not fine! My son is droping me off so this is the time that works for him!

6 minutes ago, Cruisin4beaches said:

I sailed on the Kdam when she first came to America Nov.2016 . It was a 4 day cruise and I got the email to check in at 1:30 as the USCG had to inspect the ship.... For this cruise I arrived 11:30 and boarding had already started and I was on about 11:45 there were no other people waiting to board. But cabins were't ready till 3pm.

We were also on that cruise. We dropped off our bags around 10:30 and went "downtown" to eat lunch and kill time. About 12:30 we got a text message that boarding had started, and we finished lunch and got back to the terminal around 13:00. No one was in our Priority line, but about 15 people were in the regular line. We checked in and went right to our room. We were on deck 8, which IIRC was one of the first two scheduled to board, so maybe that made a difference.

• 2 months later...

A little different situation with my wife and I...

I received the e-mail for boarding times on the 3/24 sailing of the Neiuw Statendam.  We're supposed to board at 3:00.  The problem I have is we're flying into FLL that morning around 9:30.  We do NOT know Ft. Lauderdale well enough to feel comfortable killing time there through the day.  Before when we've sailed, we've had occasion where rooms have and have not been ready.  It's never been a big deal to us.  We've just kept our carry-on with us until the ready announcement.  

If it isn't a simple money-saving move by HAL (to avoid serving x number of lunches), could it be some folks are complaining enough about their room not being totally in order upon boarding that HAL felt pressure to go to assigned boarding times (esp. going so late) ?!?   If that's it, I suspect some people walk a mite on the spoiled side of the track... and as such, should listen more to the majority who have been satisfied in the past.  :)

None of this will spoil our cruise as we love HAL.  But I have to admit, getting backed up in the terminal for hours does take away one of the reasons my wife and I refuse to sail on the competitors' huge ships.   

2 hours ago, oneijoe said:

A little different situation with my wife and I...

I received the e-mail for boarding times on the 3/24 sailing of the Neiuw Statendam.  We're supposed to board at 3:00.  The problem I have is we're flying into FLL that morning around 9:30.  We do NOT know Ft. Lauderdale well enough to feel comfortable killing time there through the day.  Before when we've sailed, we've had occasion where rooms have and have not been ready.  It's never been a big deal to us.  We've just kept our carry-on with us until the ready announcement.  

If it isn't a simple money-saving move by HAL (to avoid serving x number of lunches), could it be some folks are complaining enough about their room not being totally in order upon boarding that HAL felt pressure to go to assigned boarding times (esp. going so late) ?!?   If that's it, I suspect some people walk a mite on the spoiled side of the track... and as such, should listen more to the majority who have been satisfied in the past.  🙂

None of this will spoil our cruise as we love HAL.  But I have to admit, getting backed up in the terminal for hours does take away one of the reasons my wife and I refuse to sail on the competitors' huge ships.   

The staggered times are meant to spread out the passenger flow so that people don't stand in long lines. It seems to be working. I got to the FLL terminal around 11:00 because the trip up from Miami was faster than I allowed for. I was surprised that there were so few people in line at security and check in. There were a lot of people sitting around and waiting (already checked in), but it wasn't as crowded in the waiting area as I have seen in the past. 

A good way to kill time is to go to a hotel, ask them to store your bags while you have a nice breakfast. 

We were on the Kdam for the Christmas cruise.  We "followed the rules" and boarding was a MESS.  HUGE lines.  We didn't get on the ship until 4:45!  

We had to check out of our BnB by 11 and had to kill time walking the very windy and chilly beach and marina area until 3 pm.  

We cruised over New Years on the Koningsdam, departed December 28th. Arrived at the port at 10:20, no wait at security, we were checked in and seated at 10:40. Would have been sooner but the person checking in wine didn't know you can bring 2 bottles with no corkage fee. They needed to check with a supervisor. This took about 10 minutes. Boarding began at 11:33, we were boarding card 7 and called at 11:40. On board at 11:44, went to our room, it was not yet ready but they allowed us to use the safe and drop our carryon bags. We went to the spa to get our Thermal Spa passes, then off to the dining room for lunch. Seated at 12:05. 

• Like 1

On 3/4/2019 at 2:47 PM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

The staggered times are meant to spread out the passenger flow so that people don't stand in long lines. It seems to be working. I got to the FLL terminal around 11:00 because the trip up from Miami was faster than I allowed for. I was surprised that there were so few people in line at security and check in. There were a lot of people sitting around and waiting (already checked in), but it wasn't as crowded in the waiting area as I have seen in the past. 

A good way to kill time is to go to a hotel, ask them to store your bags while you have a nice breakfast. 

Assuming you did as you suggested, which local hotels will accommodate those who just want to "kill time" (without charging 1/2 a night's lodging for a so-called "day room") ?     

The staggered times are meant to spread out the passenger flow so that people don't stand in long lines. 

I think it's also partially to ease the pressure on crew to get the entire ship turned around in 2 hours or so.  If they turn around the rooms in the deck order specified, then if you ignore that and get on earlier than scheduled then you have no complaint if your room is not ready. The problem with that theory is that those of us with Priority boarding can still board anytime after it starts. :classic_biggrin:

Edited by catl331

On 12/21/2018 at 7:40 PM, OlsSalt said:

What you're -missing- is the situation is FAR less acceptable for those not allowed to board until the later scheduled times.  The opportunity to have lunch or being permitted a place to wait on the cruise's first day shouldn't be a "perk" reserved for select guests. 

My contention is this change seems, for the most part, unnecessary.  We have yet to encounter the "problem" this change is intended to fix on -any- of the cruises taken on HAL.  As 3-star Mariners, we have difficulty believing we've just been "lucky" not to run into it. 

3 minutes ago, catl331 said:

I think it's also partially to ease the pressure on crew to get the entire ship turned around in 2 hours or so.  If they turn around the rooms in the deck order specified, then if you ignore that and get on earlier than scheduled then you have no complaint if your room is not ready. The problem with that theory is that those of us with Priority boarding can still board anytime after it starts. :classic_biggrin:

The reasons given are completely understood.  My point is, and I said it earlier in the thread, most don't mind if their room isn't ready when boarding and are perfectly willing to hang out on the Lido or at a lounge until it is.  It has never been an issue for my wife and I on any previous cruises.

We flew in the day before so already at hotel.  We go to a hotel that offers shuttles.  The last shuttle to the ships is 12:30 .We have breakfast, check out as requested by 11:00.  Not hard to put in time in the lobby, or sitting outside in the sun.  At this time the lobby is starting to fill  up with people that have disembarked ships and not flying home.  Our embarkation details had stated 1:00.  So things are working out...we are doing what we are supposed to do.  We get to the ship at 1:00.....the line up is way outside around the terminal.  We stood outside for 45 minutes before we ever even got inside to the lines.  We walked onto the ship and into our room by 3:30. But..we did what we were told to.  We could have taken an early shuttle but we didn't.  This was in January on Konginsdam.  

For  anybody flying in on the same day, shuttles and transfer cost extra money to go and find some place to wait. 

1 hour ago, oneijoe said:

Assuming you did as you suggested, which local hotels will accommodate those who just want to "kill time" (without charging 1/2 a night's lodging for a so-called "day room") ?     

1 hour ago, oneijoe said:

I haven't done this in fll so I can't give a specific recommendation. But I've done this in hotels in cities when I had to check out of my hotel and go to another hotel for a breakfast meeting. I go to the front desk and ask if they will hold my bags while I have breakfast.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, catl331 said:

I understand and agree ... but note that your post #67 follows my post #65. :classic_smile:

My apologies... I'm not very handy with the formatting.  🙂

Edited by oneijoe
grammar

On 12/15/2018 at 4:53 PM, Snowbaby369 said:

We booked a guarantee...so still waiting for room assignment !

You do know that there is a very simple way to completely avoid the anxiety of waiting for your room assignment, right? :classic_wink: