Bringing on your own wine.

KevintheIrishDJ

we've been bringing our own wines on board since 2000 and more than 30 cruises. Before the brouhaha with the stickers, we just packed our wines in a styrofoam 12 bottle shipping box and sent it through on the plane and on to our room, but no more. Here's how we do it and have never lost a single bottle (I'm sure i'm gonna regret having said that!). Wrap every single bottle, individually, in a large disposable baby diaper (I, myself, prefer a clean one). Then put the diapered bottle in a 2.5 gallon hefty brand zip lock bag, and do it again...meaning, double bagged. Then we put those double bagged bottles side by side in our 21" hard sided rolling bag...holds 10 bottles. If we need more than 10 bottles, as we will when we do the 14 day Regal out of Buenos Aires in Feb, we'll probably pack a couple of extras in a similar manner, in our regular luggage, and just carry them on board.  We try to stay out of the naughty room and just pay at security. If the posts about the stickers seems confusing, it's because it is and gets applied somewhat erratically, depending on who's scrutinizing and how much skin they have in the game. s

4 hours ago, KevintheIrishDJ said:

Here are the wines we will check with our bags for our Christmas & New Year cruise Dec. 22 on the Pacific Princess.

what type of varietals ya got in those boxes  😃 I'm thinkin' a 14 day'er  12 reds, 12 white ?

Edited by c-boy
  • Like 1

On 12/16/2018 at 1:25 PM, CineGraphic said:

When sailing out of Port Everglades, I pre-order my wine online at Total Wine, Uber from the airport to the shop, pop in for a sec to pick up my purchase and get back into the car headed to the port. Takes only a few minutes and saves me from over-paying for grocery store quality wines. I sold wholesale for years, I know my wines, and I don't have to worry if the ship has a wine I like in stock or not. I drink what I want, at a better price, and HAL still gets a few sheckles, what's not to like?

We have done the same!  To each his/her own!  Do what works for you!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cobra427SC said:

we've been bringing our own wines on board since 2000 and more than 30 cruises. Before the brouhaha with the stickers, we just packed our wines in a styrofoam 12 bottle shipping box and sent it through on the plane and on to our room, but no more. Here's how we do it and have never lost a single bottle (I'm sure i'm gonna regret having said that!). Wrap every single bottle, individually, in a large disposable baby diaper (I, myself, prefer a clean one). Then put the diapered bottle in a 2.5 gallon hefty brand zip lock bag, and do it again...meaning, double bagged. Then we put those double bagged bottles side by side in our 21" hard sided rolling bag...holds 10 bottles. If we need more than 10 bottles, as we will when we do the 14 day Regal out of Buenos Aires in Feb, we'll probably pack a couple of extras in a similar manner, in our regular luggage, and just carry them on board.  We try to stay out of the naughty room and just pay at security. If the posts about the stickers seems confusing, it's because it is and gets applied somewhat erratically, depending on who's scrutinizing and how much skin they have in the game. s

We've used these before...guaranteed to hold the entire contents of a bottle of wine, should it get broken.
https://www.amazon.com/Wine-Diaper-Original-Protective-Absorbent/dp/B00308FONW/ref=asc_df_B00308FONW/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198061674875&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9815380981696668723&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9011488&hvtargid=pla-511432833312&psc=1

I can't speak to those traveling by air and how you want to pack your wine or unpack your wine before boarding the ship.  We always drive to the Port, carry-on 1 bottle of wine for each night (usually have 6 folks in 3 rooms so we each bring 1 bottle per night per room), and then between us bring 2 bottles each night to dinner.  Okay, one night we actually brought 3 :) 

It is important to keep the receipt when you pay the corkage fee before boarding.  On our cruise last December, they did not have stickers at the table, so I showed our head waiter my receipt for the corkage fee and told him we would be bringing 1 bottle each night.  He never asked again nor did he look at any of the bottles for a sticker. 

For the record, if we bring a $30 bottle for each dinner and add the corkage fee, the $45 total is small in comparison to the cost of a comparable wine on the ship...exactly why we bring our own.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

I can't speak to those traveling by air and how you want to pack your wine or unpack your wine before boarding the ship.  We always drive to the Port, carry-on 1 bottle of wine for each night (usually have 6 folks in 3 rooms so we each bring 1 bottle per night per room), and then between us bring 2 bottles each night to dinner.  Okay, one night we actually brought 3 🙂

It is important to keep the receipt when you pay the corkage fee before boarding.  On our cruise last December, they did not have stickers at the table, so I showed our head waiter my receipt for the corkage fee and told him we would be bringing 1 bottle each night.  He never asked again nor did he look at any of the bottles for a sticker. 

For the record, if we bring a $30 bottle for each dinner and add the corkage fee, the $45 total is small in comparison to the cost of a comparable wine on the ship...exactly why we bring our own.

When we resently brought 36 bottles on, the savings was well over $750, and we got to drink a very nice wine every night.

• Like 2

"Asking for a friend"...I know this is a risky question but am willing to go there to get some answers for my fellow cruising wino coterie (not covfefe).  How is corkage fee applied to boxed wine when it is checked or bring on baggage? 

Edited by idocdlw
typo

3 minutes ago, idocdlw said:

"Asking for a friend"...I know this is a risky question but am willing to go there to get some answers for my fellow cruising wino coterie (not covfefe).  How is corkage fee applied to boxed wine when it is checked or check in baggage? 

post #49 ya lush :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

On 12/16/2018 at 7:30 PM, Colo Cruiser said:

You usually have to pay in the DR.

Sometimes they don't charge but I would be prepared to pay.

If not its a nice surprise.

We took our bottle to the MDR on formal night, knowing that we would be charged the $15 corkage. Our waiter seemed almost apologetic that he had to charge us.

5 hours ago, casandbliz said:

We took our bottle to the MDR on formal night, knowing that we would be charged the $15 corkage. Our waiter seemed almost apologetic that he had to charge us.

wonderful... what ship was this?