Kids dress code-main dining room

We will be on Mariner in January on a 4 night with our 2 children- 11 and 14. What would you consider acceptable dinner attire for them? I know that more often than not, many people disregard the recommended dress code, however we prefer our kids be presentable. I was thinking polos/Dockers shorts, any input?

11 minutes ago, TheFarmersWife said:

We will be on Mariner in January on a 4 night with our 2 children- 11 and 14. What would you consider acceptable dinner attire for them? I know that more often than not, many people disregard the recommended dress code, however we prefer our kids be presentable. I was thinking polos/Dockers shorts, any input?

That would be perfectly fine and make them better dressed than most of the adults. 

If you are the Farmers Wife, they must be the Farmers kids. Their striped bibs probably wouldn't raise any eyebrows.

35 minutes ago, TheFarmersWife said:

Yours will be perfectly dressed -- No Problem!

Enjoy your cruise!  :classic_cool:

Our “boys” are now 22, 21 and 17 and we have cruised with them for many years. Over the years the dress code has definitely relaxed.   They will look nice in polos and dockers shorts.   Or even a more dressy non-collar shirt is fine.   Depending on whether the 14yo really prefers shorts he may wanted consider throwing in a pair of casual pants or jeans. I do notice as they age up they tend to wear pants more and jeans are fine in the MDR.  But if he likes shorts than I would totally let him do that.  

11 hours ago, TheFarmersWife said:

My kids always dressed according to the dress code, and matched what we were wearing.  Now my granddaughters match what their parents wear, and they match what we are wearing......my family follows the dress code but that is just us

10 hours ago, cindivan said:

Our “boys” are now 22, 21 and 17 and we have cruised with them for many years. Over the years the dress code has definitely relaxed.   They will look nice in polos and dockers shorts.   Or even a more dressy non-collar shirt is fine.   Depending on whether the 14yo really prefers shorts he may wanted consider throwing in a pair of casual pants or jeans. I do notice as they age up they tend to wear pants more and jeans are fine in the MDR.  But if he likes shorts than I would totally let him do that.  

For me, jeans aren't an option for the dining room for dinner, but that's just me. I noticed on our last cruise there were a lot of adults who didn't follow the dress code, but to each their own. They will both be packing slacks along with shorts, but t shirts and jeans are for daytime wear only. Just me being a no fun mom. Lol.

12 hours ago, TheFarmersWife said:

For me, jeans aren't an option for the dining room for dinner, but that's just me. I noticed on our last cruise there were a lot of adults who didn't follow the dress code, but to each their own. They will both be packing slacks along with shorts, but t shirts and jeans are for daytime wear only. Just me being a no fun mom. Lol.

You are being a my kind of mom, and I wish there were many more like you.

But then again I am a cruising dinosaur. 

Jeans and polo shirt.

Chinos (or travel pants 👍) if there is a dress your best night.

I'm done with suits on a cruise.

20 years ago I would bring a tux and it was nice when everybody was dressed for dinner....

but these days I don't see a tux or lobster tail in the MDR.

20 hours ago, TheFarmersWife said:

I’m not sure if you realised this, but shorts are against the dress code while jeans are allowed. Even though the no shorts rule isn’t always endorced. 

So it seems odd to me that you want them to wear shorts but forbid jeans. 

Edited by BekkaW

We finished an 11 day cruise on the Anthem about 2 weeks ago and we saw a lot of different clothing options in the MDR.  On formal  night there was a gentleman at the table next to us who had a singlet (sleeveless T-shirt) and ball cap on while another person at another nearby table wore board shorts and flip flops.  Other than noticing their choice of attire it didn't bother us one bit.  C'est la vie (It is life). The era of dressing up for dinner on a cruise ship is basically over and we just need to accept it and get on with enjoying our dinner.