texting on the boat

bnorris10

Ok let me try to say this as clearly as possible because I posted in several facebook groups and for what ever reason people are not understanding 

I am going to be on the ship 

I want to send text messages to someone who is not on the ship 

I have the social package - The person I want to text DOES NOT and WILL NOT use any form of social media at all 

So the only way  I can talk to this person is if I send them a text message 

Is their an app that I can download that will work with the social package on the boat that will send text messages to people's regular phones WITHOUT them having to download anything and for them to be able to reply back to the text message and for me to get it thru what ever app I am using 

You can just text them normally without using the package I do it through the ships tower. It's about $1.00 per text. Not good if you want to text chat, but fine if it's 'I am on biard' or how's the dog? 'type questions.

Other than using your phone or  WhatsApp I don't know of any other way of texting someone.

Though I do recall my cell provider use to provide free txt messages through their website. Does your cell provider have anything like that on their website?

I assume you’re talking about using Carnivals Hub app.

if so, then no, you cannot text using the Hub app on your phone if the other person does not have the Hub app.

Besides, the “boat”,as in lifeboat, doesn’t have WiFi.

The “ship” has WiFi but none of the boats.

• Like 1

If you want to text phone to phone, without using any social media apps like Facebook or Whatsup you will have to pay for each text.  There is no way around that. If you text from a social media app, it will only go to another social media app.  But since the other person doesn't have social media, then you must pay the price and text from the ship's tower (phone to phone).

• Like 1

Does that person have iMessage? do you have iMessage? That works. If they have it and you don't there are apps you can download that will allow you to do it. I don't know if that app works on the social media plan or not. iMessage allegedly does work though.

Edited by Saint Greg

If you both have iphones, yes, you can text like you are describing. Otherwise, it just won't work.  Yes, you can pay the ship for each message but I don't think that will work for communicating back and forth because you can't stop other people from texting you also and your bill will be ridiculous.  Will the other person use email?  You should be able to email back and forth.  

• Like 1

Depending on your carrier I got this on my last cruise

AT&T Free Msg:  Reply YES to learn how to get unlimited talk & text, and 200MB of data while on your cruise (free to reply). Otherwise your current international rates are: $6.14/MB, $3.00/min, $0.50/msg sent; $1.30/photo or video msg sent. Call us at +1.214.547.2300 with questions or for info on other options for your cruise (a free call from this phone).

AT&T Free Msg: Reply BUY to add AT&T Cruise Talk, Text & Data to this line (free to reply): $100 one-time charge includes unlimited talk & text, 200MB data ($2/MB overage), expires after 30 days. For terms visit www.att.com/cruiseterms (a free view). By replying BUY you confirm you are authorized to make changes to this account.

Wifi texting is free with Verizon.

Wifi texting requires a wifi-capable phone for the person on the ship.  I send texts to my mom when I cruise solo.  I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 smartphone.  My mom has a LG Exalt 2 basic flip phone.  Her phone can't use wifi.  I send a text to her through the ship's wifi that arrives through the cell network.  She sends a text through the cell network that arrives through the ship's wifi.  I never receive any charges for these texts.

I don't know if it works with the social media plan.  I don't have experience with it.  I always get the value plan. 

8 hours ago, bnorris10 said:

The person I want to text DOES NOT and WILL NOT use any form of social media at all

Well, this eliminates most of the suggestions, except the AT&T cruise package. You can probably text with WiFi calling.

Pretty much anyone with WiFi calling should be able to text using WiFi on the ship. iPhones work over the internet anyway for iMessage. Android phones should work as well, as long as you make sure that WiFi calling is enabled. You may not be able to call (ship's firewall will block it) but text should go through.

9 hours ago, klfrodo said:

if so, then no, you cannot text using the Hub app on your phone if the other person does not have the Hub app.

Why do people insist on being complete smart A!@#.... Its unnecessary! either answer the op question or move on ...Dang!

It seriously gets very old!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

\There is an app called "Group Me". You can create an account and add them. They will receive a text asking them if they want to be part of the group. They do not have to download the app. When you use it to text it comes to them as a text and it will show it is from you.  I haven't tried it so I am not certain it will work with the social media package.  It meets your criteria if it does.  I do not know why so many people respond without thoroughly reading your request. So many of the answers were useless.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, midcarolina said:

Why do people insist on being complete smart A!@#.... Its unnecessary! either answer the op question or move on ...Dang!

It seriously gets very old!

You get offended when someone tries to help people use the proper language?

I didn't call anyone names,, I did answer the OP's question in my post.

Care the share what you added to the conversation?

I would imagine that you believe in manners.

Such as Please, Thank you, etc.  Then it is only proper manners when in another environment to use the proper terminology.

It's a ship, not a boat

It's a deck, not a floor

It's a cabin, not a room

It's a head, not a toilet.

Show some respect.

• Like 2

You can send an email to text anyone on pretty much any carrier. 

For instance with Verizon it's 123-456-7890@vtext.com (obviously using the phone number) 

BTW you're going to be on a ship, not a boat.

1. Alltel: phonenumber@message.alltel.com.
  2. AT&T: phonenumber@txt.att.net.
  3. T-Mobile: phonenumber@tmomail.net.
  4. Virgin Mobile: phonenumber@vmobl.com.
  5. Sprint: phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com.
  6. Verizon: phonenumber@vtext.com.
  7. Nextel: phonenumber@messaging.nextel.com.
  8. US Cellular: phonenumber@mms.uscc.net.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I call Verizon before we leave home and get Pay As You Go international calling for the specific SHIP and itinerary that we will be traveling on.  

It doesn't cost anything to put in place, but you do pay for calls and texts sent and received AND for any data used.  We shut off the Cellular Data on our phones so we don't use data and incur those astronomical fees.  

We also don't make calls with the phones.

We strictly use the phones to text with our family at home.  I forget the rate, but it might be something like .05 per message to receive and $.15 to send.  Basically we use it for emergencies and to check in during the week.  

When the bill comes, it may be a couple of dollars higher than usual for the texting we did on the ship.   That's all. 

1 hour ago, klfrodo said:

You get offended when someone tries to help people use the proper language?

I didn't call anyone names,, I did answer the OP's question in my post.

Care the share what you added to the conversation?

I would imagine that you believe in manners.

Such as Please, Thank you, etc.  Then it is only proper manners when in another environment to use the proper terminology.

It's a ship, not a boat

It's a deck, not a floor

It's a cabin, not a room

It's a head, not a toilet.

Show some respect.

The OP did not ask for the "correct" terminology

The OP is NOT a child and as such i'm sure does not need to be corrected,

Everyone with two brain cells knew exactly what op was saying

actually it is a boat! just a very big one! 

24 minutes ago, midcarolina said:

The OP did not ask for the "correct" terminology

The OP is NOT a child and as such i'm sure does not need to be corrected,

Everyone with two brain cells knew exactly what op was saying

actually it is a boat! just a very big one! 

Don’t resort to name calling and disrespect.

Its beneath you. I’m sure your mother raised you better than that.

On 12/20/2018 at 1:07 PM, klfrodo said:

Lol! This is a pet peeve of mine, also, calling the ship a boat. IT IS NOT A BOAT! 

As for texting, I was always told to keep your phone in “airplane mode” and not use it except for pics, as the cell bill will be astronomic! I know some people get WiFi and still view their social media, but that won’t help the OP.