Port or Starboard?

MsSoCalCruiser

If from LA/ San Pedro, I like Starboard for the great view of the USS Iowa, just as you are leaving.  I know it is just for a few minutes, but it is important to me😌

Also, I have seen whales and dolphins, along the California coast, when returning, on the Starboard side🐳🐬

Edited by Cruiserkenn
  • Like 1

Depends on where you're from.  If you're from the rainy Northwest, you'll want the sun first thing in the morning.  On the way back up, the weather cools almost immediately when you leave Cabo (late in the day) so the balcony becomes less useable for the last day.  Of course, all bets are off if you want afternoon sun on your balcony, but remember that it doesn't warm up for 36 hours after you leave San Pedro.  As far as being berthed down there, it could go either way --- you can't predict with certainty.

We took that cruise in a port cabin.  We saw whales during the day and enjoyed the morning sun on our balcony on the way south.  On the return north we really enjoyed the view of the lights on shore and the battleship as we entered the port of Los Angeles in the pre-dawn morning.  We have found that we tend to use a balcony more during the first half of any cruise than during the last half.

Six of one, half a dozen of another. For no rational reason that I can think of, I usually book cabins on the starboard side. I’m starboard on my Royal cruises in April/May. The side makes little difference to me as I spend little time in my cabin and almost no time on a balcony other than to check the weather. Which is why I usually book inside or oceanview cabins. This time, I got a great deal ($100 more plus $600 OBC) to upgrade from an inside to a balcony. That was a no brainer. 

• Like 1

I have done both port and starboard on the Ruby Mex Riviera cruise.  It makes no difference to me, because you cruise both directions.  Unlike Pam, I am on the balcony throughout the day, whenever I have to wait for my wife to get ready for us to go, and I greatly enjoy the balcony, on whichever side of the ship.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

On a seven day Mexican Riviera cruise would you rather have a balcony on the port or starboard side of the ship and why?

For the 7-day Mexican Riviera, such as

1-San Pedro, 2-Sea, 3-Cabo, 4-Mazatlan, 5-Puerto Vallarta, 6-Sea, 7-Sea, 8-San Pedro:

With all the above port stops going North-to-South I *definitely* prefer an oceanview or balcony on the PORT side *if* I want to see more Coastline from my cabin; Days 1-5 would have more Coastline, and the return Days 6-7 would have more Sea (with minimum 2 sunsets from the cabin if desired on the way home). 

-- Three of my booked cruises have this itinerary and I have Port cabins for all 3.

Conversely, if Puerto Vallarta was the first stop, then Mazatlan then Cabo, I usually would book a Starboard cabin if I couldn't get an Aft.

-----

Edited by RSS from SF
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Pam in CA said:

Six of one, half a dozen of another. For no rational reason that I can think of, I usually book cabins on the starboard side. I’m starboard on my Royal cruises in April/May. The side makes little difference to me as I spend little time in my cabin and almost no time on a balcony other than to check the weather. Which is why I usually book inside or oceanview cabins. This time, I got a great deal ($100 more plus $600 OBC) to upgrade from an inside to a balcony. That was a no brainer. 

We always book starboard too and usually an inside cabin.  The only times that we had a balcony was from an upsell.  We hope for an upsell offer again so  I thought I would find out the favorite spot is for this cruise. Hoping to see some whales! 

We almost always take a round trip cruise (leave and return to same port) so that it really doesn't matter which side of the ship.  Port calls the ship can be on either the port or starboard side depending on the port.  With that then we always take a cabin on the port side back near the aft elevators.  

Definitely port side  -- especially if you arrive in Cabo later in the morning -- the cruise along the Baja coast is beautiful in the morning  - and when you when you leave the ship will usually cruise along the coast and you see the bays and resorts to the south,.  This is one of our favorite parts of a Mexican cruise.  If you have two sea days at the beginning you will arrive first thing in the morning in Cabo --  more time in Cabo, but you miss the scenic cruising.

On the way back, they do not usually get close to land.  

We leave in four weeks on the Eurodam, and we have a port balcony, as always  

On 12/21/2018 at 12:32 AM, MsSoCalCruiser said:

On a seven day Mexican Riviera cruise would you rather have a balcony on the port or starboard side of the ship and why?  Aft isn't available at the moment so please no suggestions for that.  Thank you!

I would take port for the sunsets coming back.

5 hours ago, CRUZBUDS said:

Definitely port side  -- especially if you arrive in Cabo later in the morning -- the cruise along the Baja coast is beautiful in the morning  - and when you when you leave the ship will usually cruise along the coast and you see the bays and resorts to the south,.  This is one of our favorite parts of a Mexican cruise.  If you have two sea days at the beginning you will arrive first thing in the morning in Cabo --  more time in Cabo, but you miss the scenic cruising.

On the way back, they do not usually get close to land.  

We leave in four weeks on the Eurodam, and we have a port balcony, as always  

Thank you!  I never thought of our Cabo arrival and this makes perfect sense and sounds lovely. 

Enjoy your cruise on the Eurodam.   Is this your first time on that ship?  Go to the "Dive-In" on the Lido deck and have a "Freestyle" Portabella mushroom for me; I crave that stuff!  And don't miss the Planet Earth show in the main theater because this is seriously one of the best shows I have ever seen.  I am really hard to please when it comes to entertainment but that show is fabulous!   If you have time please let me know what you think about them both.