8:55 Flight from FLL after Cruise

3 minutes ago, cruisefun77 said:

It's either get off quickly so you can get back home, or take a late flight that arrives home at midnight.  Work the next day.....

There’s nothing in between?  I find that hard to believe.  Have you tried different airlines?

I disembarked the Mariner yesterday morning.  I was among the first 25 - 30 people at 6:45 or so. 

I was concerned about the TSA, having read that Terminal G in Miami would be closed do to the government shutdown.   I took the first available shuttle, and was at FLL about 50 minutes later.   

Last Friday going from FLL to the port, the express lane was completely blocked so I worried about traffic all weekend, too.

I would never recommend it, but I could have taken a flight at 9....but getting up at 4 am full of apprehension wasn't worth it.

We docked about 5:15 am.....straight in and not going to the turnaround basin.

CBP was great.....no agent.....get your photo taken by a stand.....and it said "OK".   Shuttle driver was great... weather was great....traffic was great except for a 5 minute delay where 2 express lanes converge to one....TSA was fast and I had Pre-check. 

Just the same, I'm not changing my 11 am departure in July.

David

Edited by DAllenTCY

10 hours ago, cruisefun77 said:

It's either get off quickly so you can get back home, or take a late flight that arrives home at midnight.  Work the next day.....

Have you looked at alternat flights from MIA or PBI?  Longer taxi/Uber ride than to FLL but they may offer more reasonable flight options.  Good luck! :classic_smile:

Recommended time for arriving at an airport is two hours prior the flight.  So you need to be at the airport at 7:00 am to be safe.  Taking a 9:00am flight is like trying to connect in ATL with only 35 minutes between terminal A and E and both gates all at the fall ends.  I can be done, but why?

It can be done.  Just will need to make sure there are no glitches.  No room for error.  Late docking, slow customs, bad weather, etc. are just the list of things that could torpedo it. Harmony is a large ship, so might be more susceptible to disembark delays than a smaller ship.  If flying a mainline airline, missing the flight will just cost some bucks.  Just wouldn't want to do it if flying someone like Spirit. 

I've made 9-ish am flights from FLL and for me personally, I'd do it again, but I don't necessarily recommend them for others.   Here are all the things that I have going for me when I book a flight like that.  Depending on how many of these you can claim, assess the risk and then do what you're comfortable with:

1.  Departing Oasis class ship, which generally docks and begins disembarkation earlier than others

2.  Willing and able to carry all my own bags off the ship, to avoid cruise port baggage claim, and am willing to be in line to disembark before disembarkation actually begins, in case a long line forms

3.  Have Global Entry, and take the card with me, which gives front-of-the-line privileges for customs at Port Everglades terminal used by Oasis-class ships

4.  Take a cab to airport, so no waiting on shuttle to fill, or Uber or car service to show up

5.  Fly from FLL so quick 10 min ride from port to airport instead of having to get to MIA or PBI

6.  Have status that allows use of Sky Priority lane at Delta check-in at FLL.  Alternatively, check in online and do carry-on only to avoid airport check-in

7.  Have TSA Pre-check for security.  I also have Clear, but can't recall if that's available at FLL terminal 2, which is "my" terminal since I mainly fly Delta.  Either expedites the security process.  *Could be unexpected delays even with these programs during government shutdown

8.  Have status with airline that generally gives priority for rebooking in case all of the above takes place and I still manage to miss the flight

You have a greater chance of making it then not. I would do it. I live 45 min from ft Lauderdale port and I am usually home at that time off a cruise. Not even rushing. So if it is an airline like southwest where you can get on a later flight if you miss it. Go for it. 

1 hour ago, waterbug123 said:

I've made 9-ish am flights from FLL and for me personally, I'd do it again, but I don't necessarily recommend them for others.   Here are all the things that I have going for me when I book a flight like that.  Depending on how many of these you can claim, assess the risk and then do what you're comfortable with:

1.  Departing Oasis class ship, which generally docks and begins disembarkation earlier than others

2.  Willing and able to carry all my own bags off the ship, to avoid cruise port baggage claim, and am willing to be in line to disembark before disembarkation actually begins, in case a long line forms

3.  Have Global Entry, and take the card with me, which gives front-of-the-line privileges for customs at Port Everglades terminal used by Oasis-class ships

4.  Take a cab to airport, so no waiting on shuttle to fill, or Uber or car service to show up

5.  Fly from FLL so quick 10 min ride from port to airport instead of having to get to MIA or PBI

6.  Have status that allows use of Sky Priority lane at Delta check-in at FLL.  Alternatively, check in online and do carry-on only to avoid airport check-in

7.  Have TSA Pre-check for security.  I also have Clear, but can't recall if that's available at FLL terminal 2, which is "my" terminal since I mainly fly Delta.  Either expedites the security process.  *Could be unexpected delays even with these programs during government shutdown

8.  Have status with airline that generally gives priority for rebooking in case all of the above takes place and I still manage to miss the flight

Pretty much could have written this post myself.

You really have to be willing and able to have your whole traveling party ready to line up well in advance of 6am.  The self-assist line gets REALLY long REALLY quickly.  

If you're in line early, and if the planets are all aligned in your favor, it CAN be done.

On 1/15/2019 at 6:56 PM, cruisefun77 said:

Looks like Harmony will dock at Fort Lauderdale at 6:15 AM.  I'm interested to hear of others' experiences with the earliest you have walked off Harmony.

Last Sunday we walked off Harmony at about 6:15 or so (a bit earlier than the 6:30 projection for walkoffs to start) and were at our gate at FLL at 6:45.  We got in line at around 5:45 and there were maybe 10 people in front of us (though the other line, inexplicably, was longer).

1 hour ago, ShipsandDipper said:

Last Sunday we walked off Harmony at about 6:15 or so (a bit earlier than the 6:30 projection for walkoffs to start) and were at our gate at FLL at 6:45.  We got in line at around 5:45 and there were maybe 10 people in front of us (though the other line, inexplicably, was longer).

On 1/17/2019 at 10:15 AM, waterbug123 said:

Great info to you and everyone... just what I needed to hear.  We don't mind getting in line early, will catch a cab, and hope for the best.  Only question now for me is whether to get TSA pre-check or not.  Hoping the security line that early wouldn't be bad even with out TSA.

9 hours ago, cruisefun77 said:

Great info to you and everyone... just what I needed to hear.  We don't mind getting in line early, will catch a cab, and hope for the best.  Only question now for me is whether to get TSA pre-check or not.  Hoping the security line that early wouldn't be bad even with out TSA.

Security at FLL can be bad....or not.  You didn't say what date your cruise is.  But with the govt. shutdown, you are now adding an unknown into the equation.  I'd get TSA pre-check if you still have time.  In fact you can get Global Entry for only $15 more.  Not sure it's worth your $100 to you,  but if you fly a lot it is.  And if you hit a snag at FLL it might mean the difference between making or not making the flight.  

But let us know how it goes.  

Edited by papaflamingo

10 hours ago, cruisefun77 said:

Only question now for me is whether to get TSA pre-check or not.  Hoping the security line that early wouldn't be bad even with out TSA.

FLL security is a crap shoot.  I fly through there often, and sometimes the line is almost non-existent, and other times I've seen in inexplicably wrapped around the building.

1 hour ago, papaflamingo said:

I'd get TSA pre-check if you still have time.  In fact you can get Global Entry for only $15 more.  Not sure it's worth your $100 to you,  but if you fly a lot it is.

Just to clarify, Global Entry's advantage is for international flights.  You do automatically get Pre-Check with it, but if you're comparing getting GE (with Pre) vs. just applying for Pre-check by itself, the important thing isn't if you fly a lot, it's if you fly internationally a lot.  😉

• Like 1

Port Everglades has a "go to the front of the line" section for Global Entry cardholders.  (look off to the right of the big long line of people, and have your card ready to flash to the person standing guard at the line)

Since Global Entry also gives you TSA pre-check, it's a win-win when cruising into Fort Lauderdale.... faster through Customs, and faster through airport security.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

Just to clarify, Global Entry's advantage is for international flights.  You do automatically get Pre-Check with it, but if you're comparing getting GE (with Pre) vs. just applying for Pre-check by itself, the important thing isn't if you fly a lot, it's if you fly internationally a lot.  😉

Thanks.... re-reading my post I realized that it was a bit confusing.  TSA pre is $85 and Global Entry with TSA pre is $100.  As brillohead mentioned, Global entry is available at Port Everglades and significantly can speed up Customs.  But one thing to consider... each are good for 5 years.  In my opinion, if you go out of the country once in 5 years and use Global Entry, it can be the best $15 you've ever spent.  

Again, thanks for clearing up my comment.  It was pretty confusing.  😎 

• Like 1