Live from the 2019 Grand South America and Antarctica Voyage

Scrapnana

January 18, 2019

Matarani, Peru

From the looks of it, there is not much to do in Matarani.  The ship offered a shuttle to Molendo, a 40-minute drive.  (I heard later that there was not much to do there, either).  I was glad I had chosen a tour called, “Arequipa Sightseeing and Shopping”.  It was an eight-hour tour but four of those hours were riding the bus back and forth.

The tour met at 7:15 for a 7:30 departure.  (Way too early for me!)  We left a few minutes late.  The landscape for most of the ride looked like mountains of rock and dirt with an occasional cactus.  I will have to admit I spent a great deal of the ride snoozing and missed some of Lizzie’s (our guide) commentary.  I was, however, not the only one nodding off. 

Once we arrived in Arequipa we went to Mundo Alpaca.  They have various species of alpacas and llamas and even a baby llama that was just born yesterday.  We were given greens to feed them and they were very friendly.  Next, we saw some of the sorting process and a demonstration on weaving.  As usual, you left by the store where I purchased some wool but no picture as it will be used for Christmas presents.

It was then about a 5-minute walk to the main square, Plaza de Armas.  After Lizzie gave us a little information, we had about two hours to wander on our own.  I looked around the square and along some of the pedestrian zones.  About 11:30 I was getting hungry so I got a Coke from McDonald’s and a wonderful berry muffin from Starbucks.

Arequipa was founded in 1540 and is the second most populous city in Peru.  The city centre is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.  It is referred to as the “White City” because of the white volcanic stone used to build some of the major buildings.  Some have been rebuilt more than once because of earthquakes.

We met back up at 12:45 and there was a small miscommunication as to where the bus was going to be so we did not start our journey back until 1:10 arriving back to the pier around 3:20 (all aboard was at 3:30).

There was a sail-away party featuring Pisco Sours as the “Drink of the Day”.  I had one and it was very good. 

Trivia was a at 4:00 and we had 15 but two teams tied at 15.5.

1) True or false – Skateboarding will be an Olympic sport in 2020?

2) In what year did Panama gain its independence from Colombia, the first Crayola Crayons were sold (5 cents), and the first Tour de France took place?

3) Which one movie monster has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame?

4) True or false – Green, black, and white tea all come from the same plant?

5) Which two countries share the longest uninterrupted border (1240 km) in the EU?

6) (And just for the “Bridesmaids”)  By whom was Medusa beheaded?

Evening trivia was at 7:30. We had 9 out of 17 and I forgot to write down what the winners had since we had such a dismal showing.

1) Which French Polynesian island did John Michener dub the world’s most beautiful?

2) What type of oil did da Vinci use in the world’s first high intensity lamp?

3) What is the only continent to have black swans?

4) Which country’s highest point is Mt. Logan at 19,850 feet?

5) What do peacocks mate with?

All present for dinner.  I had French onion soup and sweet and sour shrimp.  I left early for Name That Tune, skipping dessert.  The theme was TV theme songs with Stevie the piano guy.  We had 15 out of 16 correct and tied for the win.

We have not had a time change yet this cruise but are more than making up for it tonight.  We lose two hours of sleep!

Afternoon trivia

1) True

2) 1903

3) Godzilla

4) True

5) Spain and Portugal

6) Perseus

Evening trivia

1) Bora Bora

2) Olive oil

3) Australia

4) Canada

5) peahens

Smooth sailing until next time!

January 19, 2019

Iquique, Chile

Our first port in Chile was Iquique, a city that was once a part of Peru until the War of the Pacific (1879-1883) when it was conquered by Chile.  I chose the “Iquique and Humberstone” tour.

We started with an hour drive through the Atacama desert.  Humberstone is one of the “Nitrate Ghost Towns” in the area.  It was started in 1872 by Englishman James Humberstone.  The town was closed down in 1960 and in 2005 became an UNESCO World Heritage Site.

We walked through the town seeing, among other things, the pool, movie theater, school, and company store and hearing the story of the nitrate production (used in fertilizer).

After a drive back into the city of Iquique, we drove through the city.  We saw some of the old buildings, the beautiful but cold beach (water temperatures in the 60s), and then went for our snack.  It was quite a snack with four courses and two drinks (there was a choice of a mango sour, pisco sour, or non-alcoholic drink).  I skipped out between the first and second course to get Chilean pesos.

I looked at the few stalls on the pier and purchased a magnet and a cute mousepad with llamas on it.  My “doesn’t need a mousepad mouse” does not really like the desk surface in my cabin.

We only had 11 out of 17 for afternoon trivia.  Two teams tied with 13.

1) What was the first movie to win the newly created “Best Animated Motion Picture” award in 2001?

2) Who played Howard Stern in the movie “Private Parts”?

3) Which country’s flag has a trident in the center?

4) What is the world’s largest frog species?

5) What nationality was the spy Mata Hari?

I sat by the Lido Pool after trivia and actually fell asleep.

We won evening trivia!  Three teams tied with 17 out of 18 but we won the tie breaker!

1) What was the first organ successfully transplanted from a cadaver?

2) What is the largest species of penguins?

3) What tower reigned as the world’s tallest building until 1930?

4) What is the most populous African nation?

5) From what country did Malta win its independence in 1964?

Tie breaker – How many verses to the Greek national anthem?

All present for dinner.  I had a Caesar salad, French onion soup, a Chilean pot roast, and a strawberry Pavlova for dessert.

The show tonight was a comedian that I have seen before (maybe more than once) named Martin Beaumont.  I enjoyed the show.

Afternoon trivia

1) Shrek

2) Howard Stern

3) Barbados

4) Goliath

5) Dutch

Evening trivia

1) Kidney (the one we missed)

2) Emperor

3) Eiffel Tower

4) Nigeria

5) U.K.

Tie breaker – 158  (We had that as a tie breaker last year and got it wrong!  I didn't know the exact number but knew it was around 160.)

After a dismal showing in afternoon trivia, it was a joy to win evening trivia. There was a whale playing near the starboard side and I think those teams over there on that side were distracted. But we also were quite brilliant regardless. Ha!

Kathi and I went on separate tours in Iquique. We both visited Humberstone but while her tour went back to town and enjoyed a visit there, mine went on farther into the Atacama desert to see the Pintada

Geoglyphs. They are neither painted nor carved, but the top soil is dig out to reveal different colored soil beneath. They are giant pictures of fish, animals, humans and geometric designs on the sides of the mountain range. Really fascinating to see. But boy was it hot out there!

00902565-8C56-411C-B307-8263CF6F9768.jpeg

64E98D55-F24F-477F-94AD-E431A2B44E61.jpeg

7D39B657-E6D8-4D5C-8317-4F95C90467D4.jpeg

C7037E1A-2A9D-4261-9CB7-C97779E2625D.jpeg

9C08B5C2-2F77-476B-973F-D494F86742B4.jpeg

32 minutes ago, scluvsrain said:

After a dismal showing in afternoon trivia, it was a joy to win evening trivia. There was a whale playing near the starboard side and I think those teams over there on that side were distracted. But we also were quite brilliant regardless. Ha!

Kathi and I went on separate tours in Iquique. We both visited Humberstone but while her tour went back to town and enjoyed a visit there, mine went on farther into the Atacama desert to see the Pintada

Geoglyphs. They are neither painted nor carved, but the top soil is dig out to reveal different colored soil beneath. They are giant pictures of fish, animals, humans and geometric designs on the sides of the mountain range. Really fascinating to see. But boy was it hot out there!

00902565-8C56-411C-B307-8263CF6F9768.jpeg

64E98D55-F24F-477F-94AD-E431A2B44E61.jpeg

7D39B657-E6D8-4D5C-8317-4F95C90467D4.jpeg

C7037E1A-2A9D-4261-9CB7-C97779E2625D.jpeg

9C08B5C2-2F77-476B-973F-D494F86742B4.jpeg

Congratulations on winning evening trivia.

Sounds like a great excursion to the Atacama dessert.  Great pictures.

January 20, 2019

Antofagasta, Chile

I decided not to do an excursion today.  Very few cruise ships come to this port  (we are one of three this year!) so there were only two excursions available and none really appealed.  I made a lazy morning of it (I kept waking up all night) and finally left my cabin around 11:30 to take the shuttle bus into the main square.  As it turned out, I left the ship at the right time because somebody was complaining they had been waiting 30 minutes and then three buses came in at the same time. 

It was a very short trip into town.  It was only a few blocks away from the port but you could not walk through the port itself and taxis are not allowed.  It was take the shuttle or stay onboard.  For some reason we were dropped by the main square but, being Sunday, almost everything was closed.  Most people opted to make the 6-block walk to the mall. 

I was on a quest for a fingernail file.  Somehow I had left home without one but bought one at the dollar store in Fort Lauderdale.  I must have left it in a pocket of one of my suitcases (which were taken away and stored somewhere) because I went through my entire cabin twice yesterday and it did not turn up.  Luckily, the mall had a number of places where I could get one.  I also had a Coke from McDonald’s and people watched in the food court before making the six block return trip to the shuttle.  I was back on board by 1:15.

After lunch I worked on one of my knitting projects before afternoon trivia.  We only had 11 out of 18 and the winning team had 15.

1) 90% of the world’s extractable amber is found in what country?

2) What was Madame Bovary’s first name?

3) Peter O’Toole and Sophia Loren starred in the movie version of which musical?

4) True or false – Porcupines have the ability to project their quills to quite a considerable distance when disturbed by an enemy?

5) In what month is Australia Day?

Sat with my feet in the pool and read after trivia.  The daytime temperatures are only in the low 70s so I think my swimming days may be over until after we round the Horn.

We did a little better in evening trivia with 12 out of 18 but two teams tied with 13.

1) What is Chubby Checkers real name?

2) What word means “of the world’s surface”?

3) What river flows above the Lincoln Tunnel?

4) In feet, how tall is a soccer goal?

5) Which two countries helped the Patriots in the War of Independence?

Only five of us present (one has gone on an overnight excursion to the Atacama Desert).  I had tomato and mozzarella starter, and beef for dinner.  ( I skipped dessert but had a piece of my favorite room service chocolate cake around midnight.) 

Music Trivia was 60s, 70s, and 80’s.  Alice often gives extra points for singing and/or dancing so we ended up with 30.  The winning team had 32.

The show was Bailamos back with a new show.  They were good again.

There is a lunar eclipse tonight and I stayed up to see at least some of it.  The weather was not cooperative.  For every 10 seconds of the moon being visible, there were four or five minutes of clouds.  Finally gave up.

Afternoon trivia

1) Russia

2) Emma

3) Man of La Mancha

4) False

5) January

Evening trivia

1) Ernest Evans

2) Hemisphere

3) Hudson

4) 8

5) France and Spain

Not much snow at your home, Kathi. I can't speak for the temperature. We missed Half Moon, are going to Samana to tender instead of Punta Cana DR. Cpt Rens is as funny as ever - we already had - ask the Captain. 

With Prinsendam leaving, it will probably be only 2 ships calling now. Cpt Rens said they are concentrating on Seabourn to take up the small ship sailings and go where P'dam used to go.

Edited by Happily@Sea

January 21, 2019

At Sea

So much for summer!  It stayed overcast all day with a high of only in the low 60s with a good breeze.  Virtually nobody sitting out on deck.

Knitters and Stitchers only had about 8 people present and I helped two of my trivia partners with crochet.

Lunch in the Lido and then to afternoon trivia.  We tied three other teams with 12.5 out of 19.

1) If you were enjoying Chubby Hubby, Dublin Mud Slide, Carmel Sutra, and Turtle Soup what specifically  are you enjoying?

2) What was the last Black and White movie to win a Best Picture Oscar?

3) What was the name of Hugh Hefner’s plane?

4) Which Bond actor was the oldest to play the role?

5) The Hugo Awards are given to what genre of literature?

Worked on my knitting before arts and crafts where we started on a woven coaster.

The Filipino Crew Show was at three.  I always marvel at the enthusiasm and time these people give to us.

I was so chilly I got a hot chocolate and sat in the Explorer’s Lounge drinking it and knitting.

We had 14 out of 18 for evening trivia but the winners had 16.

1) What does “URL” stand for?

2) The first coin operated vending machine was in Italy.  What did it dispense?

3) In 1995, what was the first completely computer-generated motion picture?

4) What country’s people first tried to build a Panama Canal?

5) What is the capital of Uruguay?

Only 4 of us for dinner.  I had French onion soup, a salad, Beef Stroganoff (very good), and a berry sundae.

I skipped the show which was a variety one with 3 entertainers because I need an early evening tonight for my long (8 hour!!!) tour tomorrow.

Afternoon trivia

1) Ben and Jerry’s ice cream

2) The Artist

3) Big Bunny

4) Roger Moore

5) Science Fiction

Evening trivia

1) Uniform resource locator

2) Holy water

3) Toy Story

4) France

5) Montevideo

3 hours ago, scluvsrain said:

What ship is Captain Rens on? I love him he’s a great (and funny) captain. 

I believe Copper said he is on Oosterdam - you can tell by all the tooting he does - remember we called him Captain Hornblower?

13 hours ago, scluvsrain said:

What ship is Captain Rens on? I love him he’s a great (and funny) captain. 

I can finally get on CC.Last night wasn't working.

He's on 'the beautiful, elegant Oosterdam' until Mar 4th [if Cpt Albert is correct]. He said  in answer to a question:. 3 months on, 3 off and 5 months teaching at the school in Holland for HAL. He has been on 'O' the last two years Dec-Feb/Mar.

Edited by Happily@Sea

January 22, 2019

San Antonio, Chile

The excursion I chose was “Highlights of Santiago” because I wanted to see the capital city.  I was a little put off because it was marked “strenuous”.  The ticket said there would be two hours of walking.  Luckily, this was totally wrong.  We walked for about 90 minutes but it was in small increments like 20 or 30 minutes and if you didn’t want to walk you could find a place to sit.

We started with a ride from the port of San Antonio into Santiago which took a little over an hour and a half.  We had a special treat that was not scheduled – the changing of the guard in front of La Moneda Palace.  It only takes place every other day.  It was interesting to watch and our guide, Cecilia, told us that the band plays some pop music as well as military. 

Back on the bus for a few minutes as we were taken to Plaza de Armas.  Our main purpose was as a bathroom break but we had enough time to see some of the National History Museum (where the bathrooms were free) and the Metropolitan Cathedral.

Another short bus ride to the Los Dominicos Market where there were a number of different items for sale.  I wish we had had more than 30 minutes.

By then it was time for lunch at a nice restaurant in the Santiago Metropolitan Park.  We started with champagne or a Pisco Sour, then soup, fish and rice (I was able to get chicken), and an excellent custard desert.  Wine or beer or soft drinks were included.

Our last stop was at the top of San Cristobal Hill for a panoramic view of the city and Andes Mountains.  We left at 3 pm and returned back to the pier at 4:40 (all aboard was 4:30 but there were at least two excursions that returned after us).  I snoozed for about half the ride back.

I missed afternoon trivia but Sherita was nice enough to write them down.  The team had 17 out of 23 but the winners had 19.

1) Who was known as the “Brown Bomber”?

2) In 2004, what was established as Alaska’s state flower?

3) From what country is Absolut vodka?

4) Name two US states that have three vowels in a row.

5) Name the actor and actress that have the most Academy Award nominations?

For evening trivia we had 14 out of 19.  I forgot to write down what the winning team had but there was a tie.

1) What liquor was first distilled by monks in 12th century Holland for treating the plague?

2) What type of whale migrates more than 12,000 miles a year?

3) What brain chemical is depleted in people suffering from Parkinson’s Disease?

4) The 1914 Cadillac was the first to use what type of engine?

5) Other than English, what four languages can James Bond speak?

All present for dinner.  I had a Caesar Salad, fruit, Beef Wellington, and crème brulee with vanilla ice cream.

I skipped the show because I was tired despite napping on the bus.

Afternoon trivia

1) Boxer Joe Louis

2) Forget-me-not

3) Sweden

4) Hawaii and Louisiana

5) Jack Nicholson and Meryl Streep

Evening trivia

1) Gin

2) Gray

3) Dopamine

4) V-8

5) French, German, Russian, and Italian