Live from the 2019 Grand South America and Antarctica Voyage

Scrapnana

On 1/11/2019 at 9:51 PM, Scrapnana said:

It was announced this morning that we would be having a block party at 4:30. Everyone was encouraged to come out in the hallway with a glass and get to know your neighbors.  

I've never been on a HAL ship where they've had a block party, but what a fun idea :classic_smile:

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, mocruzer said:

I've never been on a HAL ship where they've had a block party, but what a fun idea :classic_smile:

They are a regular thing on Seabourn which is where Prinsendam's other Master, Captain Dag, comes from.  The idea apparently spread from Captain Dag to Captain Jereon.

Roy

January 13, 2019

At Sea

A nice relaxing sea day starting with Knitters and Stitchers at 10.  Another large crowd.  One lady is making a huge rug!  I left around 11:30 for lunch in the Lido.

Trivia was at 1:00.  We only had 10 out of 20 correct and the winning team had 15.

1) What is the traditional drink for the winner of the Indianapolis 500?

2) What was Stephen King’s first novel?

3) What play about a factory owner had 13 Tony nominations and won 6?

4) What is the origin of the phrase “pulling out all the stops”?

5) What is a “locavore”?

After trivia a number of us once again rushed down to deck 4 for the Ladder Ball Challenge (and another voucher).  I had never heard of Ladder Ball but apparently this was an adaptation of the real thing.  You stood on deck 5 (in the atrium) and threw down balls joined by rope and tried to wrap them around a “ladder”.  I did not do well.

Then back to my cabin to change for a dip in the pool later in the afternoon.  On the way to Arts and Crafts I stopped at Guest Services to change $60 for $180 Peruvian sols.  In Arts and crafts we started a notebook cover with plastic needlepoint canvas.

My next stop was to see the EXC guide about Lima.  A group of us are going to the Indian Market to look for alpaca wool.  I needed to know where we were being dropped off on the shuttle to see if we could walk or need to take a taxi (taxi it is).

I finally made it to the pool and stayed for about 90 minutes.  I tried the little Lido pool that looks kind of  like a keyhole.  You can’t really swim but I did some water aerobics.

For evening trivia we had 11 out of 18.  Two teams tied with 12.

1) The AMC Gremlin was the first to use this fabric for car seats.

2) What is mixed with white sugar to make brown sugar?

3) Out of every 6 Americans, how many regularly watch TV while eating dinner?

4) What does a hibernating hedgehog have to do every 20 minutes?

5) Who was the first woman to host Saturday Night Live long before winning Emmys for a popular sitcom?

Pat, Patty, Sherita, and I sat and had an interesting and hilarious conversation after trivia.  I was told not to share the content of the discussion.

All present for dinner.  I had French onion soup, veal tenderloin, and a blueberry sundae for dinner.

I came back to my cabin after dinner to take one final look at the excursions for tomorrow.  I finally decided there were none that I really wanted to do so I will take the shuttle bus into the city, check out the market, and take some pictures.  Linda, the CD, mentioned that usually there are local crafts for sale on the pier so I may do some shopping with my sols.

The show tonight was Natalie Toro, a singer/actor who has been in a number of musicals and TV shows.  She has a great voice.

Afternoon trivia

1) Milk

2) Carrie

3) Kinky Boots

4) From playing an organ

5) Person who only eats locally sourced food

Evening trivia

1) Denim

2) Molasses

3) 4

4) Breathe

5) Candice Bergen

Smooth sailing until next time!

What is the dropoff point in Lima these days?  We will be there in April on the Zaandam and it would be helpful for planning our days in port. 

Thanks so much for sharing your adventure.  Wish we could be there!

Edited by mcmarya

51 minutes ago, mcmarya said:

What is the dropoff point in Lima these days?  We will be there in April on the Zaandam and it would be helpful for planning our days in port. 

Last March we were on The Maasdam and it was Callao (Lima) Peru.

Denise😊

28 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Denise😊

Shuttle dropoff or dock?  I find it hard to believe given the warnings about going outside the port gate even to get a cab that there would not be some other shuttle destination.  When i was on the Zaandam 2 years ago it was Plaza San Miguel but this voyage it is the JW Marriott in Miraflores.  I think the Marriott is a much better destination than San Miguel but they may only be going there for the Grand Voyage.  I will strongly suggest that you raise that question with your EXC guide once you're onboard rather than go by the experience on another voyage.

Roy

6 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Shuttle dropoff or dock?  I find it hard to believe given the warnings about going outside the port gate even to get a cab that there would not be some other shuttle destination.  When i was on the Zaandam 2 years ago it was Plaza San Miguel but this voyage it is the JW Marriott in Miraflores.  I think the Marriott is a much better destination than San Miguel but they may only be going there for the Grand Voyage.  I will strongly suggest that you raise that question with your EXC guide once you're onboard rather than go by the experience on another voyage.

Roy

Your right Roy. This was the dock. All tour buses or shuttles were driven right up to where The Maasdam was docked. No one walked outside the gate area. I was looking at my when and where brochure just now. We were off the ship already doing Machu Picchu then.

Denise😊

This was on tonight's When and Where for tomorrow.

Going ashore in Callao

Guests are not permitted to walk within the port area.  Taxis are not recommended but are available for around $30 to Lima.  We will also be offering a complimentary shuttle from the pier to the JW Marriott Hotel in Miraflores.  The shuttle ride is approximately 60 minutes each way....  There will also be a port shuttle that will take guests from the ship to the port gate throughout our stay in Callao.

January 14, 2019

Salaverry (the port for Trujillo), Peru

I had a very lazy morning not leaving the ship until after 11 am.  After hearing how exhausting some of the tours were, I was glad I decided just to visit Trujillo on my own. 

The shuttle from Salaverry to Trujillo took about 30 minutes so I arrived in the city around 12 noon.  We were given a map that showed the shuttle stop was about three blocks from the main downtown area.  The walk was interesting with lots of small shops and restaurants and beautiful architecture.  Once I arrived at the pedestrian zone on Pizarro Street, I turned right and walked to the Plaza Armas.  Directly across the street was a McDonalds so I decided it was time for a drink.  After purchasing a Coke I walked back down the pedestrian zone.  I took a detour to walk through a grocery store and then stopped for some more Peruvian sols at an ATM.  Walked back to the shuttle stop and was able to get one right away.  The roads were packed and it took about 45 minutes to return to the ship.

There were a few vendors on the pier so I bought some souvenirs (they took US$) before returning to the ship for a late lunch.

At 4 pm it was time for afternoon trivia.  We won with 18 out of 23 points.

1) According to the journal “Current Biology”, there is only one invertebrate with the ability to use tools.  What is it?

2) What athlete has been on the most Wheaties boxes?

3) What was discovered by farmers in 1974 and is now a UNESCO World Heritage site?

4) What palace and gardens is known as the Russian Versailles?

5) Who were the three women who starred in “9 to 5”?

I ate early dinner with Sherita, Patty, Roy, and Jim from the Cruise Critic roll call.  They had invited any to join on the roll call and although I wanted to, I feel early sitting (5:30) is too rushed, especially on port days.  Still I had a good time and was told I could return any time I wanted.  I had a tomato and mozzarella salad, Chicken Kiev, and a banana split sundae.

From dinner it was off to the Crow’s Nest for evening trivia.  We had 16 out of 20 but 3 teams had perfect scores.

1) Where does the Trans-Siberian railroad terminate?

2) Who was Pope for 33 days in 1978?

3) What is the indigenous religion of Japan?

4) Which fashion designer created the “Little Black Dress”?

5) Who said, “Give me the place to stand and I will move the Earth”?

Patty, Sherita and I then went to see the comedian, Russ Stolnack.  There were a few laughs.

At 9 it was time for Music Trivia.  We won with 32.

At 10 we were supposed to have a stargazing session with 2nd Officer Mark.  Unfortunately, the weather did not cooperate so it was cancelled.

Afternoon trivia

1) Octopus

2) Michael Jordan

3) The terra cotta warriors

4) Peterhoff

5) Jane Fonda, Dolly Parton, and Lily Tomlin

Evening trivia

1) Vladivostok

2) John Paul I

3) Shinto

4) Coco Chanel

5) Archimedes

Smooth sailing until next time!

10 hours ago, mcmarya said:

9 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Denise😊

Same for us on Zaandam October 2018, Callao port.  There is no place to walk from the port.

We received a printed warning about Callao and cabs also and warned not to be alone, on foot, there.  We had a shuttle running to Plaza San Miguel.  Roy is right, while you should receive advice on the cruise anyhow, do check with the EXC guides.

Edited by 0bnxshs
  • Like 1