Can I get off a Cruise early in another port?

viranpooja

Can I get off a Cruise early in another port? Our cruise ends in Rome, Italy but since we have already been here, we were considering getting off at the port before (Naples, Italy) and spend a few days around southern Italy. Has anyone ever done this before?

Cruise that we are traveling with: Celebrity cruises

1 minute ago, viranpooja said:

Can I get off a Cruise early in another port? Our cruise ends in Rome, Italy but since we have already been here, we were considering getting off at the port before (Naples, Italy) and spend a few days around southern Italy. Has anyone ever done this before?

You need to check with Celebrity, the answer isn’t always the same, one issue is customs and immigration.

4 minutes ago, viranpooja said:

Only if you clear it with the cruise line prior to the cruise.  Contact Celebrity and ask them how to handle early departure.

What’s your itinerary? Many Mediterranean itineraries that visit countries within the Schengen Area as noted above, allow passengers to embark and disembark at different ports of call. Our last cruise in november in the Med was one of those and we had passengers starting and finishing their cruises at each port of call. 

Definitely check with Celebrity and see if you can coordinate an early debarkation. 

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

It is likely that the country/port that you visit before Naples will be in the Schengen zone, so there would not be any customs/immigration involved.  It is just permission from the cruise line.  EM

And possibly a fee the cruiseline requires...I know RCI does.

It is only a 2 hour train ride from Rome to Naples, probably another hour from Civitavecchia. I would complete the cruise (you paid for it) and then take the train to where I wanted to go once I disembarked.

5 minutes ago, electro said:

It is only a 2 hour train ride from Rome to Naples, probably another hour from Civitavecchia. I would complete the cruise (you paid for it) and then take the train to where I wanted to go once I disembarked.

Sorry, I can't agree with that electro.

It's not just the cost & time of the train ride, but if the OP isn't interested in returning to Rome it's a wasted day. For folk who value their time, especially if it's limited by work commitments,  hopping off in Naples can make a great deal of sense.

It's also worth bearing in mind that a one-day port-of-call visit is totally inadequate for an area worthy of a full week.

Yes, Europe has its own cabotage rules, but I don't think merely disembarking in a different Italian port is relevant.

Naples does have customs & immigration facilities at the port if needed.

JB :classic_smile:  

The cabotage requirement is for carriage of passengers from one port in an EU country to another port in the same country, without a stop at a port in a different country, EU or not.  So, if the cruise was going from Sicily to Naples, then there could be a violation of the law, but if it came to Naples from a different country, then no.  The "coastwise" transport of passengers (like my example of Sicily to Naples) is restricted to ships of any EU nation, but not other nations.  Looking up Celebrity, most of their ships are flagged in Malta, so there would be no cabotage problems.

Replying to a few of you in this post

Thanks so much in advance

So the port before Naples is Catania, Sicily and the port AFTER is Rome, Italy.

Half the people in our group traveling have already been to Rome, but would like to spend more time in Naples surrounding areas (looks GORGEOUS). We have a toddler with her so going to Rome and then traveling back to Naples just wouldn't be a good idea for us.