No dress code in specialty restaurants (Sun)

zitsky

2 minutes ago, TruckerDave said:

You didn't get the memo??? Humor (in any form) is not allowed on here on cc.  Thin skin disease is wide spread here. 

You don't have to convince me.  I've seen it first hand.  Learned the hard way how some people on these boards can't take a joke.

• Like 2

Even after the endless threads on this topic, I still don't understand how someone else dresses is going to affect how my steak tastes.  Now, if they have some strong body odor, perfume or cologne then I get it. But, a backwards John Deere truckers hat and cutoff jean shorts will in no way shape or form affect how my slab of beef tastes. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

I will say that I judge a grown man who won't remove their hat while indoors or the parents of a young boy who doesn't teach him to remove his hat while indoors, as having no manners.  Sorry, but I was raised by a father who always removed his hat while indoors and taught us girls that a gentleman with manners will always do it as well.

This is a very antiquated rule, like women not being allowed to wear white in the winter.  

Why is it rude to wear a hat at the table? I'm certainly not offended by it. It makes no statement to me other than, "hey, that person is wearing a hat."

Note, also, this rule only applies to men. Women can do it.  I vote for same rules for everyone.

14 minutes ago, Kmkub said:

This is a very antiquated rule, like women not being allowed to wear white in the winter.  

Why is it rude to wear a hat at the table? I'm certainly not offended by it. It makes no statement to me other than, "hey, that person is wearing a hat."

Note, also, this rule only applies to men. Women can do it.  I vote for same rules for everyone.

We all look at things differently.  If you approve of it, that is great.  I'm not offended by it by any means, it just shows me that they have no manners.  

Edited by NLH Arizona

39 minutes ago, TruckerDave said:

Even after the endless threads on this topic, I still don't understand how someone else dresses is going to affect how my steak tastes.  Now, if they have some strong body odor, perfume or cologne then I get it. But, a backwards John Deere truckers hat and cutoff jean shorts will in no way shape or form affect how my slab of beef tastes. 🤷‍♂️

You are exactly right.  These threads pop up now and then and each time I am amazed the amount of time some people take to judge other people and how these other people affected their cruise because they wore a T shirt, jeans, or a hat.  For real?   Then the endless examples start:   What about a bathrobe, pajamas, spandex, daisy dukes, and how about NAKED.   NCL has the right policy.  I trust them to treat their guests with respect and address anything that needs addressed.  NO, they are not going to allow someone naked or in a speedo dine in the MDR or specialty restaurant.   Worry about yourself before you start casting judgment on others for their shoes, hat, shirt, shorts, or pants.  And NO, don't give the example of a T Shirt with obscenities either.

What next?  Should we cast judgment on some that are over weight and not allow them eat dessert?  Someone is offended because those people are over weight and they are eating too much. I am going to complain on Cruise Critic!

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 1

On 1/6/2019 at 7:01 PM, zitsky said:

It seems dress code was not enforced on my recent cruise. Saw a few people in shorts or tshirts.  Doesn't seem to be a problem 

Oh the travesty !!!!!!!  Your cruise was obviously ruined.

Edited by NCLetscruise

I am cruising solo in May in YC on MSC Seaside and I am packing some very fancy new dresses.   Flying first class, so no baggage fees!   Will pack the Louboutins in my carry on.   This is my vacation. It is what I desire to do.   Do I care what you wear as long as you are within the cruise line's dress code?  Nope.   My ambience is what I choose to perceive.   

Next cruise I might go more casual.   Who knows.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I know, right?  LOL

Hey, Zitsky...totally off topic, but it does relate to clothes.  How many laundry deals did NCL do on your cruise?  Also, will you be posting a review?  I hate to ask, but you seem to be the only active poster from the Sun South American cruises. 

22 minutes ago, buggins0402 said:

Hey, Zitsky...totally off topic, but it does relate to clothes.  How many laundry deals did NCL do on your cruise?  Also, will you be posting a review?  I hate to ask, but you seem to be the only active poster from the Sun South American cruises. 

There was a 50% off for pressing at the beginning of the cruise.  I was told by someone here that there would be 50% off all laundry in the middle of the cruise.  If there was, I never saw it.

10 minutes ago, DMH15 said:

Or guys named Gampy. 

Wasn't George H.W. Bush's nickname "Gampy"?  Are you going to kick him out too?  I guess you can't.  He's gone.

(I'd say no one in spandex is allowed in.)

Edited by zitsky

17 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Wasn't George H.W. Bush's nickname "Gampy"?  Are you going to kick him out too?  I guess you can't.  He's gone.

(I'd say no one in spandex is allowed in.)

Seriously, I was kidding.  I agree.  Spandex hides nothing.  

We have a family joke about spandex.  My brother was an official Marvel Spiderman for over 10 years.  He was young and trim. Not many could wear that suit like he did. 

33 minutes ago, DMH15 said:

Seriously, I was kidding.  I agree.  Spandex hides nothing.  

We have a family joke about spandex.  My brother was an official Marvel Spiderman for over 10 years.  He was young and trim. Not many could wear that suit like he did. 

Where did he work?  Theme parks?  I saw the Spiderman show on Broadway.  It was pretty cool.  I wish I could do that.

Edited by zitsky

14 hours ago, Kmkub said:

I don't understand this opinion, frankly. What someone else is wearing has never impacted me, personally.......

If seeing someone in shorts and a ball cap offends you while you eat, maybe NCL isn't the right line for you.

What someone else is wearing is all part of the ambiance of a restaurant.  It's just as important as the color scheme, lighting, distance between the tables and all of the other nuances that come together for a dining experience. Maybe that is why what someone else is wearing has never impacted you personally, because all you have ever done is eaten at a restaurant, you've never dined.  There is a difference.  You dine in Chops Grille on Royal and in Tuscan Grill on Celebrity.  You eat in Cagney's.

15 hours ago, Kmkub said:

We won't do Carnival, for example, because it's too heavy a party/drinking culture and less of what we need.

What about the NCL Sky, with it's open bar.  You don't think that promotes a party/drinking culture?  And Carnival does not need to provide perks such as the UBP in order to be an incentive to book and also an incentive to drink.   I'll admit that 25 years ago Carnival was party central, but they have evolved over the years and are no longer your parents Carnival cruise line.

6 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Maybe that is why what someone else is wearing has never impacted you personally, because all you have ever done is eaten at a restaurant, you've never dined.  There is a difference. 

I'm aware of the difference. There is no need to be insulting. I have dined in some rather swanky restaurants throughout my life.

If you need the entire ambient experience in order to enjoy a cruise, there are other lines that require you to dress your finest. NCL is catering towards those who don't need and/or want everyone to be dressed, in order to enjoy the journey.

It is your right to continue to complain about what it isn't, rather than enjoying for what it is (or choosing a line that more represents your personal dining values.)

As to Carnival, I wasn't aware of the change, so perhaps we will look into it and maybe give them a try. We have never found NCL to be a party boat, even with the relaxed dress code. (Relaxed being a key word; many of us vacation to relax away the stress of having to dress up for work.)

We've been cruising for decades.  At first taking a cruise was a real treat.  Something you saved up for and planned what kind of clothing you would wear considering the ports the ship would dock at.  Of course these were also the days that a person had a church wardrobe, a work wardrobe and an at home wardrobe....never should one wardrobe overlap into another.:classic_unsure:  Then taking a cruise started to be a contest in which passengers would discuss the price of their cruise and what a deal they got....people who paid more for the same sailing and cabins would get upset and sometimes leave the table etc.  Then cruising became the smartest way to travel and see the world...without having to save up for years to take that Anniversary Cruise.... we seem to be in a mixed state now....some are paying a fortune for rooms , bragging about it and dressing like rag-a-muffins.  Others are booking cheap rooms and dressing to the nines....what difference does it make:classic_cool::classic_rolleyes: we all go to the same ports, arrive at the same times and most nites eat the same foods....we meet people who turn out to be friends for life and people who you wouldn't want as a neighbor. Bottom line is this...dress like you would dress going to a nice restaurant at home.  Wear clean clothes that fit you properly.  Be polite and smile...don't go to fine restaurants drunk...don't act like this is your vacation and you can do and say whatever you like...disregarding the thought of others.  Give yourself respect...your not doing yard work then dropping into McDonalds because your hungry. Teach your children manners...and try not to spend time knocking how others dress or behave, it will only take pleasure from your experience. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Kmkub said:

True story (and embarrassing for me when it happened.) We were on a family cruise, and we went to a specialty restaurant (on Princess.) My cousin wore his hat into the venue (not a ball cap, a very nice hat.) The maître d', very politely, asked him to remove the hat during dinner. He refused. It was a bit of a kerfuffle, but my cousin got his way.

Perhaps sometimes, it's just not worth the argument for the staff. I felt so bad for him and dinner was awkward, since the rest of the family just wished cousin had complied.

Once we went to lunch in a dining room and I had on a hat.  I also had pink sponge rollers on under my hat.  The person at the desk asked me to remove my hat ( I'm a woman !) I told him I had on pink sponge rollers on under it ) He smiled and allowed me to wear it....at the end of the cruise he got a good tip and written recommendation....and my hair looked good 🙂

12 hours ago, Kmkub said:

As to Carnival, I wasn't aware of the change, so perhaps we will look into it and maybe give them a try.

While doing your Carnival research, I would highly recommend looking into the Havana area.  It is located on the Vista, Horizon and under construction Panorama.  It is a section in the aft of the ship that is similar to Vibe and it has a small pool and two hot tubs as well as a bar, lounges and thatched seating with shallow water for your feet.  The area is restricted each day until 700 PM to only those cruisers staying in a Havana cabin.  The cabins are inside, aft balcony, side Lanai balcony and suites.  You also need to be 12+ to stay in the area.  While the main pools are jammed, the Havana area is an oasis.  We'll be back there in August doing the Southern Caribbean on the Horizon after our cruise next month on the Bliss.

I thought "freestyle" mean"t not having to eat at certain times or places....not that you could "do whatever you want". How you dress for venues depends on where you"re from and what your circle is used to. So you"ll see  everything on an affordable cruise.  I sat in Cagney"s next to a dressed-down couple with a screaming child.  Yes, it all affected the ambiance of my dinner.  I guess you can wear baseball caps in country clubs and  suburban-rural areas for lunch and dinner too.   But I think they set  up Le Bistro, Cagney"s etc. so we can have not only some different foods, but some different ambiance choices.....      

6 hours ago, Feathercrest said:

I thought "freestyle" mean"t not having to eat at certain times or places....not that you could "do whatever you want".   

You are correct.  When "freestyle" began, it was eat where you want, when you want and with whom you want, meaning there were no set dining times and you were not required to sit at the same table every night, but over the years people have put their own interpretation on the saying.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Feathercrest said:

But I think they set  up Le Bistro, Cagney"s etc. so we can have not only some different foods, but some different ambiance choices.....       

As far as the dress code, NCL decides what is required/allowed. If NCL says that shorts and t-shirt are fine in Cagney's, that's what some people will wear.

If any people believe that all specialty restaurants are Smart Casual on NCL, those people are mistaken.