No dress code in specialty restaurants (Sun)

zitsky

11 hours ago, gizfish said:

Well you should definitely never book the Haven.  Because you pay a REAL premium for that and the same dress code applies there too.  I just don't understand how the type of clothing someone is wearing (which is hidden when they are seated anyway) or a baseball cap is such a problem for you.  You wear whatever you want.  If you want to dress up go for it.  Why knock those who choose not to dress up when that is perfectly acceptable and an actual reason why many people are using NCL to begin with.  

First of all, I would never book the Haven because I can't afford it and even if I could I would probably go for a B2B2B2B on two different lines and still save money.  The dress code in Cagney's is a joke in my opinion since I have cruised and eaten in other Steakhouses on Royal, Celebrity and Carnival and baseball caps and denim cutoffs are not allowed on those other mainstream lines that compete with NCL.  But, it's all part of the Freestyle cruising mantra that is aimed at the "me generation" that can't comprehend the idea that what you wear can have an influence on the ambiance of an establishment.  Just like how you act, what you wear can also be an influence.  Sorry that you can't grasp that concept.

Now, if you want to talk about a real joke, let's discuss paying 99.00 per day plus 20% gratuity for a non all inclusive drinks package.  I fully understand that nobody pays it, but it's a pure money grab to keep increasing the price so that the gratuity that goes into the coffers covers NCL's cost for their "free" drinks package.

• Like 2

On 1/8/2019 at 7:00 AM, zitsky said:

Why is Le Bistro more strict than other specialty restaurants?  I didn't see the difference.  Would think dress code would be consistent between La Cucina, Cagney's and Le Bistro.

I think it simply has to do with the upscale, formal feeling one gets or seems to get from a french restaurant. It is the picture of formality and some still want to keep that feeling. I think it is a wonderful idea. 

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 7:01 PM, zitsky said:

It seems dress code was not enforced on my recent cruise. Saw a few people in shorts or tshirts.  Doesn't seem to be a problem 

NCL changed their dress code for specialty restaurant a few years ago. NCL is more freestyle as ever.  The only restaurants that have dress codes are Le Bistro and Manhattan Room.

I actually applaud NCL for this change. Many of us get dressed up for work and want to relax on vacation.  However this does not impact yourself or anyone else that wants to get all dressed up.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

But, it's all part of the Freestyle cruising mantra that is aimed at the "me generation" that can't comprehend the idea that what you wear can have an influence on the ambiance of an establishment. 

Do you blame the generation or do you blame NCL? If a guest is following the rules and it's the rule that you have a disagreement with, I don't see how you would be upset with the guest.

It would be like being upset with a driver who is going "too fast" when the driver doing 70mph passes you and the speed limit is 70mph.

20 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

reestyle is one thing when you have open seating versus the old main/late in the dining room.  It's another when a backwards baseball cap and denim cut off are allowed in a Steakhouse that you pay a premium for. 

I enjoyed all 3 of my previous Escape cruises and am looking forward to our Bliss cruise in a few weeks.  It just sucks in my opinion regarding the dress code in Cagney's.  Like I said previously there is a difference between dress shorts and a 6+95+7444444collared shirt versus denim cut offs and a backwards baseball cap. 

I don't understand this opinion, frankly. What someone else is wearing has never impacted me, personally. Cubical dwellers often go on vacation to get away from their daily grind, including wearing business clothing. If someone goes on vacation to get away from that formality, and there is a cruise line offering that service, then they should get to do it.

There are other cruise lines where dress codes are more strictly enforced. It is always good to have options, and go with the cruise that suits your needs the best. We won't do Carnival, for example, because it's too heavy a party/drinking culture and less of what we need. If seeing someone in shorts and a ball cap offends you while you eat, maybe NCL isn't the right line for you.

NCL is catering to those of us who do not like packing dress clothes for vacation, since the primary goal is comfort and relaxation. We've been doing NCL over Princess the last few years, and this policy is one of the reasons.

Should ANY/ALL clothing be permitted on NCL?  Is there anything that is not appropriate?

(I bet the answer I get is that ALL clothing is acceptable.)  Bathrobes, swim suits, etc.  Should people be required to wear shoes?  Shirts?

Edited by zitsky

1 minute ago, zitsky said:

Should ANY/ALL clothing be permitted on NCL?  Is there anything that is not appropriate?

(I bet the answer I get is that ALL clothing is acceptable.)  Bathrobes, swim suits, etc.  Should people be required to wear shoes?  Shirts?

The dress code currently in place addresses some of those issues. Tank tops, flip flops, hats, etc. are not allowed. Shoes and shirt are required.

6 minutes ago, zitsky said:

(I bet the answer I get is that ALL clothing is acceptable.)  Bathrobes, swim suits, etc.  Should people be required to wear shoes?  What about naked people?

Any and all ship policies are owned by NCL. I find it highly unlikely they will ever allow bathrobes or swim suits, but it's really their call. I suspect customers who like the shorts option, would frown at bathrobes.

Your comment about nudity is really uncalled for. 

8 minutes ago, zitsky said:

The clothing which should be permitted on NCL is whatever their dress code states. I believe, from memory, that even in the standard restaurants there are some restrictions such as no swim suits etc.

14 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

The dress code currently in place addresses some of those issues. Tank tops, flip flops, hats, etc. are not allowed. Shoes and shirt are required.

I don't think they are strict about hats.  A few people have mentioned seeing them. 

Just now, zitsky said:

I don't think they are strict about hats.  A few people have mentioned seeing them. 

That would be a problem with the enforcement of the dress code and not a problem with the dress code. I agree that NCL should enforce whatever the dress code is and that hats are clearly stated to be not allowed. With more men who are thinning/balding deciding to wear a hat to hide their hair (or lack thereof :classic_tongue:), NCL has probably decided to let that one slide to avoid embarrassing the folicly challenged.

2 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

That would be a problem with the enforcement of the dress code and not a problem with the dress code. I agree that NCL should enforce whatever the dress code is and that hats are clearly stated to be not allowed. With more men who are thinning/balding deciding to wear a hat to hide their hair (or lack thereof :classic_tongue:), NCL has probably decided to let that one slide to avoid embarrassing the folicly challenged.

True story (and embarrassing for me when it happened.) We were on a family cruise, and we went to a specialty restaurant (on Princess.) My cousin wore his hat into the venue (not a ball cap, a very nice hat.) The maître d', very politely, asked him to remove the hat during dinner. He refused. It was a bit of a kerfuffle, but my cousin got his way.

Perhaps sometimes, it's just not worth the argument for the staff. I felt so bad for him and dinner was awkward, since the rest of the family just wished cousin had complied.

19 minutes ago, Gampy1967 said:

Can we all at least agree that fat chicks in spandex should not be allowed at ANY restaurant??

If not allowed in any restaurant....how did they get fat? :classic_blush:

Before the PC police attack.....

Referring to someone as "fat" can be offensive. Having rules based on whether or not someone is fat can be offensive unless it is a safety issue based on weight (waterslides, ropes course, etc.). Unless they are from Dixie, referring to a woman as a "chick" can also be offensive.

...back on topic...

Swimwear is addressed in the dress code..."Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor restaurant, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required."

...so it's possible that a robe can be used as the cover-up.

Edited by Two Wheels Only

The reason that dress codes don't work is that today it's all about me, me, me.  If I want to wear a hat, who cares what anyone else thinks.  Same for spandex LOL.

Yes I admit who cares about any of this?  Maybe it's not worth the fight.

Rules about hats are a courtesy.  They don't make the food better.

Edited by zitsky

3 hours ago, Kmkub said:

True story (and embarrassing for me when it happened.) We were on a family cruise, and we went to a specialty restaurant (on Princess.) My cousin wore his hat into the venue (not a ball cap, a very nice hat.) The maître d', very politely, asked him to remove the hat during dinner. He refused. It was a bit of a kerfuffle, but my cousin got his way.

Perhaps sometimes, it's just not worth the argument for the staff. I felt so bad for him and dinner was awkward, since the rest of the family just wished cousin had complied.

there are always those who think rules are made for others, and those who obide by the rules almost to a fault. WE were on a ship (Princess btw) and sitting next to us was an elderly man, rather large,  I think by himself hearing cargo shorts which had never seen an iron: maybe not even a washer and a T shirt. I am sure I was not the only one at the table that was shocked. At the same time we saw others being turned away for being dressed improperly. Who knows? I just say, dress following the rules  and you won't have to worry. it isn;t as though someone is asking you to wear a tux or after 5 dress every night. 

I don't really care what someone wears, as it doesn't change my experience or how the food taste, but I will say that I judge a grown man who won't remove their hat while indoors or the parents of a young boy who doesn't teach him to remove his hat while indoors, as having no manners.  Sorry, but I was raised by a father who always removed his hat while indoors and taught us girls that a gentleman with manners will always do it as well.

3 hours ago, Gampy1967 said:

No offense was intended.  Was just trying to make a joke about this thing going on for 2 pages when it is allowed by NCL rules.

You didn't get the memo??? Humor (in any form) is not allowed on here on cc.  Thin skin disease is wide spread here.