No dress code in specialty restaurants (Sun)

zitsky

7 minutes ago, zitsky said:

It seems dress code was not enforced on my recent cruise. Saw a few people in shorts or tshirts.  Doesn't seem to be a problem 

The dress code for speciality restaurants (other than Le Bistro and maybe some places like Ocean Blue) allows shorts.

I don’t think that this is a case of the dress code not being enforced, but you thinking that the dress code was stricter than it actually is.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

The dress code for speciality restaurants (other than Le Bistro and maybe some places like Ocean Blue) allows shorts.

I don’t think that this is a case of the dress code not being enforced, but you thinking that the dress code was stricter than it actually is.

You may be right.  If I had known they were that casual, I would not have bothered taking slacks and a dress shirt.

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

It seems dress code was not enforced on my recent cruise. Saw a few people in shorts or tshirts.  Doesn't seem to be a problem 

Shorts are allowed in ALL restaurants for ALL meals except Le Bistro and Seven Seas for dinner. If there were shorts in Le Bistro (which I have seen) then, and only then, are dress codes not being enforced. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, zitsky said:

You may be right.  If I had known they were that casual, I would not have bothered taking slacks and a dress shirt.

dress codes only apply to Le Bistro, one of the MDRs and yes, places like Ocean blue and I think Manhattan room for ships that have one. I have seen many people turned away for not being properly dressed in those restaurants. 

4 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

dress codes only apply to Le Bistro, one of the MDRs and yes, places like Ocean blue and I think Manhattan room for ships that have one

Smart casual requirements differ from ship to ship. Not every ship has a MDR that requires long pants. On some ships, shorts are allowed in all MDRs including the Manhattan Room. 

21 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Smart casual requirements differ from ship to ship. Not every ship has a MDR that requires long pants. On some ships, shorts are allowed in all MDRs including the Manhattan Room. 

I have not sailed every NCL ship for sure, nor have most of us but I do know everything from the smaller, older ships like the Dawn up to ships like Breakaway do have one MDR that requires long pants unless this has been changed very recently, like in the past few months. As for the Manhattan room I couldn't remember for sure. I thought the Breakaway also required long pants at night but I wasn't sure about that.

19 hours ago, zitsky said:

You need to be area of the dress code before you say it wasn't enforced. Excet for La Bistro T shirts and shorts are fine.

We were on the Sun in October 2018.  At the Seven Seas dining room, a man wearing shorts was asked if he had long pants and if he did, he was asked to change, as shorts were not permitted.  We've seen the same in the aft main dining room on the Star in March 2018.

15 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

... ships like Breakaway do have one MDR that requires long pants unless this has been changed very recently, like in the past few months. As for the Manhattan room I couldn't remember for sure. I thought the Breakaway also required long pants at night but I wasn't sure about that.

I can tell you that on the Escape, which I sailed on 3 times between 7/16 and 9/17, shorts were OK in all three MDR's, including the Manhattan Room.  Le Bistro and Bayamo were the only venues that required long pants.  Even saw a multi-generational family wearing t shirts, denim shorts and baseball caps in Cagney's. 🤔

To clarify the situation regarding shorts in the aft dining rooms:

The standard NCL policy is that shorts are not allowed in Le Bistro and the aft dining room. I believe that this is stated on the website.

The Manhattan Room (or Tropicana, etc) is the aft dining room on the new ships. Within the past couple of years the no shorts rule has not applied on some ships.

From memory (and this may be wrong), I think that the Escape may have been the first one to allow shorts, from when it was launched.

This is why different people have had different experiences on different ships. I believe that the no shorts rule does apply in Manhattan on the Epic and Breakaway, for example, but not on the Escape and Bliss.

Breakaway/Getaway/Bliss Dailies...

DRESS CODE: Resort casual and shorts are allowed in all dining venues except Ocean Blue and Le Bistro after 5pm. Shoes and shirt must be worn.

Escape Dailies...

DRESS CODE: Resort casual and shorts are allowed in all dining venues except Bayamo and Le Bistro after 5pm. Shoes and shirt must be worn

Epic Dailies...

DRESS CODE: Resort casual and shorts are allowed in all dining venues except Manhattan Dining Room and Le Bistro after 5pm. Shoes and shirt must be worn

Sun Dailies...

EVENING DRESS CODE: Resort casual and shorts are allowed in all dining venues except Le Bistro and Seven Seas. Tank tops, flip flops or baseball caps are not allowed.

(Others can add to the list if they want)

Edited by Two Wheels Only

3 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

I can tell you that on the Escape, which I sailed on 3 times between 7/16 and 9/17, shorts were OK in all three MDR's, including the Manhattan Room.  Le Bistro and Bayamo were the only venues that required long pants.  Even saw a multi-generational family wearing t shirts, denim shorts and baseball caps in Cagney's. 🤔

No one ever said anything about Cagney's or mentioned multi generational: What does that have to do with anything? You may very well have seen people in all MDRs and Manhattan room wearing shorts: I mentioned I did not know for sure about Manhattan room. We have not sailed her since Apr of 2017. I don't think anyone is doubting what you have seen we all just giving our opinion.. I have seen people turned down many times for not being dressed appropriately. That is why my last comment, was, bring a pair of long pants just to be safe.  Read what Two Wheels posted just awhile ago directly from NCL.   

10 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Why is Le Bistro more strict than other specialty restaurants?  I didn't see the difference.  Would think dress code would be consistent between La Cucina, Cagney's and Le Bistro.

It's probably just to give people options.

If all specialty restaurants were Smart Casual, people would complain.

If none were Smart Casual, people would complain.

6 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

It's probably just to give people options.

If all specialty restaurants were Smart Casual, people would complain.

If none were Smart Casual, people would complain.

Ok.  Point taken. 

23 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

I have not sailed every NCL ship for sure, nor have most of us but I do know everything from the smaller, older ships like the Dawn up to ships like Breakaway do have one MDR that requires long pants unless this has been changed very recently, like in the past few months. As for the Manhattan room I couldn't remember for sure. I thought the Breakaway also required long pants at night but I wasn't sure about that.

Last October on the Dawn, I saw some people turned away from the Venetian MDR for wearing shorts.  They soon returned dressed in long pants, and all was well.

9 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

5 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

No one ever said anything about Cagney's or mentioned multi generational: What does that have to do with anything? 

The headline of this thread is NO DRESS CODE IN SPECIALTY RESTAURANTS.  I was just emphasizing what I saw in Cagney's, which confirms the fact that there is no dress code. 

When comparing the dress code in the majority of the specialties on NCL versus the other mainstream cruise lines, NCL is a joke.  I can see maybe a nice pair of docker shorts and a collared golf shirt or Tommy Bahama type, but t shirt, demin cut offs and a baseball cap  should be allowed in the buffet only, let alone the MDR for dinner and certainly not in a specialty venue, IMHO.  What people wear is part of the ambiance of the establishment and this subject has been debated on these threads before.  But, it's all part of the freestyle concept that NCL believes in.

6 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

...but t shirt, demin cut offs and a baseball cap  should be allowed in the buffet only, let alone the MDR for dinner and certainly not in a specialty venue, IMHO. 

Other than the hats, what they were wearing is allowed based on the dress code.

I can understand (not necessarily agree) when people are bothered by people who are not in compliance with the dress code. I don't really understand when people are bothered by people who ARE in compliance with the dress code. A person wearing shorts in Cagney's is doing nothing wrong.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Other than the hats, what they were wearing is allowed based on the dress code.

I can understand (not necessarily agree) when people are bothered by people who are not in compliance with the dress code. I don't really understand when people are bothered by people who ARE in compliance with the dress code. A person wearing shorts in Cagney's is doing nothing wrong.

Fully aware of the fact that the ensemble of t shirt, denim shorts and baseball cap is allowed and fully compliant with NCL policy.  It's just a joke for an upgraded venue that you pay extra for and is reinforced by the fact that no other mainstream line allows shorts in their steakhouse, let alone a backwards baseball cap.

56 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Fully aware of the fact that the ensemble of t shirt, denim shorts and baseball cap is allowed and fully compliant with NCL policy.  It's just a joke for an upgraded venue that you pay extra for and is reinforced by the fact that no other mainstream line allows shorts in their steakhouse, let alone a backwards baseball cap.

I don't think it's a joke at all.  That's NCL's schtick...FREESTYLE cruising.  Disney's schtick is the mouse.  Carnival's schtick is over the top décor and parties.  RCL's is fitness, sports and outdoor activities.  It's not a joke...it's one of the reasons people choose NCL over other mainstream lines.  Maybe freestyle is just not your thing?

10 minutes ago, gizfish said:

I don't think it's a joke at all.  That's NCL's schtick...FREESTYLE cruising.  Disney's schtick is the mouse.  Carnival's schtick is over the top décor and parties.  RCL's is fitness, sports and outdoor activities.  It's not a joke...it's one of the reasons people choose NCL over other mainstream lines.  Maybe freestyle is just not your thing?

Freestyle is one thing when you have open seating versus the old main/late in the dining room.  It's another when a backwards baseball cap and denim cut off are allowed in a Steakhouse that you pay a premium for. 

I enjoyed all 3 of my previous Escape cruises and am looking forward to our Bliss cruise in a few weeks.  It just sucks in my opinion regarding the dress code in Cagney's.  Like I said previously there is a difference between dress shorts and a collared shirt versus denim cut offs and a backwards baseball cap. 

Edited by SNJCruisers

7 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Freestyle is one thing when you have open seating versus the old main/late in the dining room.  It's another when a backwards baseball cap and denim cut off are allowed in a Steakhouse that you pay a premium for. 

I enjoyed all 3 of my previous Escape cruises and am looking forward to our Bliss cruise in a few weeks.  It just sucks in my opinion regarding the dress code in Cagney's.  Like I said previously there is a difference between dress shorts and a collared shirt versus denim cut offs and a backwards baseball cap. 

Well you should definitely never book the Haven.  Because you pay a REAL premium for that and the same dress code applies there too.  I just don't understand how the type of clothing someone is wearing (which is hidden when they are seated anyway) or a baseball cap is such a problem for you.  You wear whatever you want.  If you want to dress up go for it.  Why knock those who choose not to dress up when that is perfectly acceptable and an actual reason why many people are using NCL to begin with.