Gala or formal nights

shanni-shanni

1 hour ago, Floridiana said:

Don't go by what some people post, go by HAL's own literature. It's Gala night. Ours were themed. We also had theme nights that were not declared gala.

👍👍👍  Excellent advice!  The only thing I would add is to keep in mind that HAL's "dress code" for Gala (Formal) Nights is really a suggestion.  So if you would feel more comfortable dressing up (or down) from the "guideline", feel free to do so and don't worry about what the CC "experts" tell you is acceptable or not.  After all, the dress code views here on CC are just that - individual opinions and not gospel!!!

Edited by avian777
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, VTcruisenut said:

Trying to pack lighter this cruise, I have a couple of dressy dresses, but the folks we are cruising with say that wearing dressy slacks or capris with a nice blouse is acceptable for the main dining room on nights other than Gala.  Your thoughts?

Today's dressy "gala"  fabrics are some of the lightest and easiest items I pack. Take a look on ebay for Alex Evenings or Joseph Ribkoff separates, if you want to see some easy pack suggestions that sparkle discretely, pack well and feel really great on. 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=alex+evenings&_sacat=15724&_dmd=1&_sop=15

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, VTcruisenut said:

Trying to pack lighter this cruise, I have a couple of dressy dresses, but the folks we are cruising with say that wearing dressy slacks or capris with a nice blouse is acceptable for the main dining room on nights other than Gala.  Your thoughts?

Yes, what you are thinking is just fine.  Ignore those who say "it's fine, but you can find dressier things to bring."  Bring what you want are comfortable wearing.  (dressy slacks with a nice blouse is perfectly acceptable in the MDR, EVEN on "gala" night).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VTcruisenut said:

You'll be fine. There will dressier people and people who are more casual. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VTcruisenut said:

I wholeheartedly agree with Posts 10, 11 & 12 above and would only add:  when in doubt, dress "up" (rather than "down") as I am 100% certain that no one has ever been turned away from the MDR, Lido or any of HAL's specialty restaurants for being OVER DRESSED!!!  😎 Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by avian777
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, OlsSalt said:

Today's dressy "gala"  fabrics are some of the lightest and easiest items I pack. Take a look on ebay for Alex Evenings or Joseph Ribkoff separates, if you want to see some easy pack suggestions that sparkle discretely, pack well and feel really great on. 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=alex+evenings&_sacat=15724&_dmd=1&_sop=15

great site!  if only I was that size.......................sigh.

45 minutes ago, VTcruisenut said:

great site!  if only I was that size.......................sigh.

Use the same ebay link and plug in any size. you want  It is fun to simply window shop and see what great options there are out there.

I learned from a tour of the Queen Mary, the term "window shopping" came from display windows they set up in the second class deck showing what the tailors on board were offering for custom made clothes for the current cruise passengers on the long transatlantic voyages, who would use this time to get measured for later delivery.

We just now to get to window shop online, find a brand that suits our own size and shape and then have fun looking for bargains when they come up. Lots of the light-weight dressy fabrics have some forgiving stretch in them too. 

Small to large choices? - what's not to like about this cute topper that would  take up only a whisper of suitcase space. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Womens-Plus-Size-2X-Alex-Evenings-Filigree-Jacket-Top-Event-Wedding-Party/254048047107?hash=item3b26719003:g:wZAAAOSw4Y1cKt0L:sc:USPSFirstClass!93105!US!-1:rk:11:pf:0

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Like 1