CoCo Cay Bungalows.....anyone have experience with them?

zdad59

On 2/28/2019 at 12:54 PM, hapster85 said:

The food delivered was meh. Edible, but nothing spectacular. I think you'd be better off walking to the buffet area, which several of our neighbors did.

Did they also provide a drink service?  Or was it spotty and easier to go to a bar?

Edited by cgags47

Hi friends! I have gone back between the cheapest guaranteed shade option (loungers w/half covers) to the highest option (deluxe cabana). From what I gather from others feedback is that for a party of 6, the deluxe cabana is a good deal. Sailing to CoCo Cay soon and just can't see paying an addtl $294 for our family of 4 though- it's our first cruise, still dealing with sticker shock. My question is, should I check to see if price drops when I am on board or is this price consistent with those who have purchased the deluxe cabana recently? This is the cabana that comes with the snorkel gear & a private buffet lunch. Thank you for your kind comments in advance! This site, and it's members, really are a treasure! 

5 minutes ago, smartwater01 said:

... My question is, should I check to see if price drops when I am on board or is this price consistent with those who have purchased the deluxe cabana recently? ...

Can't hurt to check once onboard.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Sailed on Mariner on May 20 -- booked a beach bed on South Beach.  No one in my group wanted to go to the beach but I totally enjoyed it.  Just vegged in the shade.  Booked Beach Bed 1 as it was close to the bar and the bathrooms.  The lunch was tasty -- wanted lunch around 1 and chose 12:30 to 1 PM -- got lunch around 1 PM.  The tram service was great and the 10 minute ride was interesting as I could see all the amenities and get a glimpse of what is coming.  

I don't see Coco Cay Beach Beds for our 9-1-2019 cruise but will keep checking.  I got my beach bed during a sale (think they knocked off about $20).  Some Beach Beds weren't taken.  

This was during the first leg of our MA B2B and MA was the only ship.  For the second cruise, we shared the island with Navigator.  

On 6/5/2019 at 9:46 PM, SherriZ366 said:

Sailed on Mariner on May 20 -- booked a beach bed on South Beach.  No one in my group wanted to go to the beach but I totally enjoyed it.  Just vegged in the shade.  Booked Beach Bed 1 as it was close to the bar and the bathrooms.  The lunch was tasty -- wanted lunch around 1 and chose 12:30 to 1 PM -- got lunch around 1 PM.  The tram service was great and the 10 minute ride was interesting as I could see all the amenities and get a glimpse of what is coming.  

I don't see Coco Cay Beach Beds for our 9-1-2019 cruise but will keep checking.  I got my beach bed during a sale (think they knocked off about $20).  Some Beach Beds weren't taken.  

This was during the first leg of our MA B2B and MA was the only ship.  For the second cruise, we shared the island with Navigator.  

Is there a difference between a beach bed and a cabana?

If not, what was it like?

On 6/8/2019 at 2:36 AM, cgags47 said:

Is there a difference between a beach bed and a cabana?

If not, what was it like?

A beach bed is a queen size bed with a roof and curtains that can be drawn.  It has 2 lounge chairs.  It has water and two floats -- it is made for 1-4 people 

A cabana has a couch like area, a deck I think and 2 lounge chairs.  It also has 2 lounge chairs as well as water and floats -- it is made for 1-6 people 

1 hour ago, SherriZ366 said:

A beach bed is a queen size bed with a roof and curtains that can be drawn.  It has 2 lounge chairs.  It has water and two floats -- it is made for 1-4 people 

A cabana has a couch like area, a deck I think and 2 lounge chairs.  It also has 2 lounge chairs as well as water and floats -- it is made for 1-6 people 

Oh ok, I was confused because this thread is regarding the cabanas.  Thanks!

Just back from Mariner last week.  Sister rented a Chill Island Cabana for the day (birthday treat) for the four of us.  We had Cabana #9...nice quieter location down at the far end (#10 is very end Cabana we could not get) away from the activities as you enter.  The beach was very nice, sandy, easy access and not crowded.  We had a full size couch inside the cabana, plus two solid plastic chairs (but comfy).  Also a large cooler stocked with bottled water, and a wooden bench seat with flip up top that had storage inside.  Outside were four full sized cushioned loungers and 2 beach floater mats.  

We had a great time feeding the fish that came right up to us when we entered the water, you could tell they were used to being fed.  Very tame.  

Only bad thing was our cabana attendant.  She was pretty lame.  We hardly ever saw her, and had to go looking for her twice.  We only ordered drinks once, and then ordered lunch...which did not come for 45 minutes (simple chicken sandwiches, burger, hot dogs and french fries).  My sister, husband, and my husband finally gave up and went up to the Chill Island Buffet, I waited to see how much longer it would be.  Ended up being an hour before she came with the lunch, the three of them had finished their lunch by the time she got there.  Next time I will go to the buffet, which is a vast improvement from the old buffet they used to offer on Cocoa Cay.  Lots of choices, and even nice salad and fruit set up there, plus a huge taco bar.  Nicely done!

Oh ok, I was confused because this thread is regarding the cabanas.  Thanks!
This thread was actually about the bungalows, but quite a few people have been talking about cabanas. They're two different things, with the cabanas being more expensive. [emoji6]

12 hours ago, hapster85 said:

This thread was actually about the bungalows, but quite a few people have been talking about cabanas. They're two different things, with the cabanas being more expensive. emoji6.png

So the "Beach Beds" are also called Bungalows?  Now I'm very confused, lol.

5 hours ago, cgags47 said:

The term "bungalows" and cabanas" have been regularly used nearly interchangeably in posts. The variety is costs referenced by a previous poster has nothing to do with the difference in terms, rather, the ongoing changes in pricing found online for this optional offering.

The terms in the dictionary are not the same. A cabana is a "cabin, hut, or shelter, especially one at a beach or swimming pool."...whereas a bungalow is actually "a low house, with a broad front porch, having either no upper floor or upper rooms set in the roof, typically with dormer windows".

Nonetheless..these terms are used as nearly the same thing by some folks (right or wrong). It's kinda like "Coke" and "Pop" being interchangeable terms depending on what part of the U.S. you might reside.

Beach beds...that's another story and term less used and often misused.

You can find a detailed description of each item online in the Cruise Planner, which also features what is included...such as beach chairs, sofa, etc.  That's your best bet for an accurate description. 

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

These were the 3 options previously available. Things have changed considerably since last summer at Coco Cay, so I'm not certain that all 3 are still available. But for what it's worth, here they are, least expensive to most.

fe4d89eb21b1d69f06720022c031804d.jpg Beach bed

973d1a5642f89e78857380a90c3f5efc.jpg Bungalow

83a79fc926aa508774e0ea7d569b8ec4.jpg Cabana

I know they are adding over-water cabanas, and I think there are also some at the large pool now.

Yes, some people use "cabana" and "bungalow" interchangeably, but in terms of the structures at Coco Cay and Labadee, they are not there same thing. Hope this clears up some of your confusion.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, hapster85 said:

These were the 3 options previously available. Things have changed considerably since last summer at Coco Cay, so I'm not certain that all 3 are still available. But for what it's worth, here they are, least expensive to most.

Yes, some people use "cabana" and "bungalow" interchangeably, but in terms of the structures at Coco Cay and Labadee, they are not there same thing. Hope this clears up some of your confusion.

Thanks Hapster. Those visuals help clarify that the terms (while used in various post descriptions) are indeed not the same thing. Nice.

4 hours ago, hapster85 said:

We are seeing cabanas in various locations (and at various prices) on the cruise planner for our Feb. 2020 cruise on Harmony.  No bungalows or beach beds.  Lowest priced cabana is $399.  

We are seeing cabanas in various locations (and at various prices) on the cruise planner for our Feb. 2020 cruise on Harmony.  No bungalows or beach beds.  Lowest priced cabana is $399.  
That far out, it's not unusual for the Cruise Planner to not show all available options. When the Planner becomes fully populated seems to vary widely from ship to ship, sailing to sailing.

Both beds and bungalows are still listed here, on Royal's Excursion page for Perfect Day at Coco Cay. Things are, of course, subject change, especially with construction ongoing for several more months.

32 minutes ago, hapster85 said:

That far out, it's not unusual for the Cruise Planner to not show all available options. When the Planner becomes fully populated seems to vary widely from ship to ship, sailing to sailing.

Both beds and bungalows are still listed here, on Royal's Excursion page for Perfect Day at Coco Cay. Things are, of course, subject change, especially with construction ongoing for several more months.

How far out do they usually populate it?  We are on Harmony in July 2020 and they have the South Beach Cabanas listed, but only saying check on board for availability.  None of the others are listed yet.  We really want to lock one in so I have been checking each day.  Its getting a bit old to do that.

19 minutes ago, doubledown13 said:

How far out do they usually populate it?  We are on Harmony in July 2020 and they have the South Beach Cabanas listed, but only saying check on board for availability.  None of the others are listed yet.  We really want to lock one in so I have been checking each day.  Its getting a bit old to do that.

On the sample provided...there's a "next" link to another page in the bottom right corner of that screen.

How far ahead of time various things are listed depends on the ship, cruise date & destination, and other factors.

We saw nearly everything available for our cruise more than 180 days in advance.

9 hours ago, hapster85 said:

We're not seeing Beach Beds and Bungelows listed for our 9-1-2019 cruise either and that's closer.  I loved my Beach Bed at South Beach for our 5-20-2019 cruise.  

Edited by SherriZ366
  • Like 1

We're not seeing Beach Beds and Bungelows listed for our 9-1-2019 cruise either and that's closer.  I loved my Beach Bed at South Beach for our 5-20-2019 cruise.  
Makes me wonder, are they a relic that just haven't been removed from the website, or are they and the bungalows something that will return later? Would hate to see them permanently removed. We really enjoyed the bungalow last summer.

Here's a question for anyone who has booked a cabana through the Cruise Planner:

There's an option to include guests from other reservations.  Is that necessary to have people join you?  Or can you just show up the the cabana and say "these 6 people are with me"?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, cgags47 said:

Here's a question for anyone who has booked a cabana through the Cruise Planner:

There's an option to include guests from other reservations.  Is that necessary to have people join you?  Or can you just show up the the cabana and say "these 6 people are with me"?

Thanks!

Noticed the same query in another thread.

Only 1 person reserves a cabana in the Cruise Planner. They will get either 6 or 8 wristbands in their cabin, depending on what kind of cabana has been reserved. Those serve as the admission method.