World Cafe or Restaurant?

zitsky

I would not agree that people prefer the World Cafe, at least not all people. We like them both for different reasons. The restaurant feels a little more like a "go out to dinner" restaurant, where we can spend a more leisurely time with new friends and a glass of wine (or two!). The World Cafe has food that is just as good, with some overlap in menu offerings, but you can make it quick or slow, select a variety of food choices, and if you wish be more casual in dress. (And still have a glass of wine!)

Edited by lackcreativity

I like WC for breakfast and lunch and The Restaurant for dinner. But some nights I like a little nibble at the sushi/seafood bar in the WC before heading down stairs for dinner. The Pool Grill is also available for lunch and dinner, as an extension of the World Cafe. I don't think I have ever done the MDR for lunch and gave up MDR for breakfast after the first cruise because the coffee was lousy  and because I decided I like the instant gratification of the buffet over the wait to be served. 

We use the MDR every morning for breakfast, unless on an early tour and we also prefer the MDR for lunch, when open. Always request a large table and find each meal is very social, lasting upwards of hour & half. Have established many great friendships at meals.

• Like 1

We also enjoyed the MDR for breakfast.  On our Med. cruise there weren't any sea days, so it wasn't open for lunch.  We will likely enjoy it for lunch on our next cruise.  Agree that it was a good place to meet people.

And if it is only a very light meal you are interested in, don't forget the Living Room Bar on Deck 1, which has offerings similar to Mamsen.

Pool Grill has expanded its offerings with an additional line offering a daily special. On our recent cruise it included on various days tacos, chili, Cobb salad bar, schwarma/souvlaki, among other choices that I don't remember.

Edited by Peregrina651

On 1/10/2019 at 5:15 AM, zitsky said:

So for lunch, options are Mamsen's or World Cafe. Right?

I understand the World Cafe is closed between lunch and dinner, but is it possible to go in during those hours for Gelato, or is it only available during the meal hours?

• Like 1

I've tried all the dining options but prefer the WC for all meals (just weird, I guess!).  For breakfast, loved the area where you could order omelets, etc. made just the way you wanted them; the crispy bacon, etc.  Dinner--liked the salad area where the guy would make a Caesar salad to order.   We would sit there for a short time if in a hurry or stay for extended periods of time and have an extra glass of wine (or two).  Love their pizza that's made right there.  I guess what appealed most to me is the big variety of foods available.  And if I chose something I didn't especially like, I could just go back and select something else.  Did I mention the fantastic gelato station?

3 hours ago, Ready to Sail! said:

I understand the World Cafe is closed between lunch and dinner, but is it possible to go in during those hours for Gelato, or is it only available during the meal hours?

Only mean hours 😥  Wish they would have it available for a bedtime snack.

3 hours ago, moatenote said:

I've tried all the dining options but prefer the WC for all meals (just weird, I guess!).  For breakfast, loved the area where you could order omelets, etc. made just the way you wanted them; the crispy bacon, etc.  Dinner--liked the salad area where the guy would make a Caesar salad to order.   We would sit there for a short time if in a hurry or stay for extended periods of time and have an extra glass of wine (or two).  Love their pizza that's made right there.  I guess what appealed most to me is the big variety of foods available.  And if I chose something I didn't especially like, I could just go back and select something else.  Did I mention the fantastic gelato station?

We ate primarily in the World Cafe ourselves with the exception of Chef's Table and the Pool Grill for lunch.  So you aren't too weird, LOL. 

• Like 2

The restaurant was closed for lunch on port days.  World cafe is self serve so we didn’t care much for it.  However,  the carving station meats are sliced by staff.  I think there were a couple other areas where staff cooked something to order.

Pool grill had good food but no seating, this is an opportunity for Viking to improve their product.  I don’t want to go inside for a table and do not want to sit in the poolside sun.  

My recollection is eight to ten choices in gelati, with three or four new each day. Rum raisin, orange mist, etc.

The pizza station and the gelato station  were usually open until 10 pm. People would stop by the bar to get a drink, stop by the gelato, and sit out by the stern to watch the stars.

Many people enjoyed lunch in the tea garden. It had the benefit of a tranquil environment, drink service, and air conditioning,  After a few days, the mess became noticeable as people left used plates and drinks. 

But that was resolved before tea time.

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 5:02 PM, moatenote said:

On our 1st VOC Homeland 15 day cruise April-May 2018 there were some surprise dining treats at the World Café.

One night while dining in the World Cafe at our usual spot aft near the gelato station, we discovered food being served at the back of the buffet area just in front of the Aquavit Terrace.

On 3 different nights we checked and found these “Unannounced/not listed” buffet spreads-

1. Charcuterie — smoked meats, hams, sausages, mini reindeer burgers.

2. Different Nordic Smoked fishes.

3. A variety of  Eastern European “dumplings” - pierogi

All were very enjoyable.

Does this occur on other VK ocean cruise itineraries?

Our 11/2018 Cultural Cuba trip featured buffet offerings on the Aquavit terrace on several nights. Paella on one night,  skewers of grilled fish or pork on another,  tortilla wraps of many things on a third night.

There was usually a mention of the event in the printed schedule of activities.

9 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Since WC is a buffet do they have a station that serves the NY strip?  Just walk up and ask for it?

Yes, the center of the line is open to both sides and has all the ovens, grills, etc.  I have ordered NY strip there several times.  DW has ordered grilled chicken or salmon and all have been cooked "a la minute". Sometimes the idea was a build your own entree.  Other times we enjoyed the offers in the stations.  And we had quite a few grills aft of Aquavit Bar.  Usually some type of theme.  Even had "Mexican Night".  

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Since WC is a buffet do they have a station that serves the NY strip?  Just walk up and ask for it?

Yes, just ask for it, it was always available, cooked to order, very good. They will bring it to your table.