Live Review- Symphony of the Seas 1/12/19; First Oasis Class in 7 Years!

OTownNick

1 minute ago, OTownNick said:

If you like Curry dishes, the Main Dining Room always has a veg (and non veg) curry dishes every night. If you go to the MDR, arrange with the waiter your special request and they will certainly accommodate you!

My sister is the vegetarian and yes the MDR hasn’t been any sort of problem. There are always plenty of options for her. The trouble is that the specialty restaurants are restrictive except for Jaime's. Just wish that they would have more options for vegetarians. Thanks 

1 minute ago, OTownNick said:

We really love Jamie’s. But now that I’m dieting I’m trying to resist lol. Don’t laugh. There are plenty of healthy options for me and I love my salmon!!

Haha I totally feel you on that. I haven’t done Oasis class before and have only done the Giovanni’s place so looking forward to Jaimes. 

1 hour ago, 37645 said:

So I have looked at recent menus at CP 150, there was only one option on the entrees for a vegetarian to eat and it was just some grilled vegetables and another version was just a piece of cauliflower. So in my opinion that’s not really vegetarian friendly due to the cover charge for the restaurant, not worth the price for a couple of pieces of vegetables for what the cover charge costs. But perhaps when you experienced it they had many more options. And Wonderland I think she could only do the first vegetable course and dessert which in my viewpoint is not enough to justify the cover charge unfortunately. But maybe they will change the options by the time that we cruise next to be more inclusive. Thanks 

You Do not have to go by the menu...you can easily ask for just vegetables and they would be able to supply you with a variety...just takes a little creativity...as I said, they are more than happy to accommodate...even if the menu does not signify.  And the cover is considerably less for lunch.  Might be a good time to try it.  But, to each his own.

I once requested She Crab Soup which I had enjoyed many years ago and the waiter spoke to the Chef about it.  It hadn't been on the menu in years, but the following night I had it...in fact had it for the next couple evenings.  I was the only person in the dining room that was eating it!  That is called service...with a smile.

Remember the old cliche...."You have not because you ask not."  Not trying to start an argument, but as you said, you may not feel your requirements justify the price.  But it's a great restaurant, one we have enjoyed several times.

Hi Nick,

I’llbe following along as well as looking forward to your scopes. Always a good time. We will be doing this itinerary on the Symphony on 1/26/19. Also using Victor Bodden in Roatan, Maya Chan in Costa Maya, and Nachi in Coz. 

I’ll be scoping on my 1-26 sailing as well. 

Hope the cats won’t miss you too much!!!

Have a great time!

mac_tlc

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

Hi Nick,

I’llbe following along as well as looking forward to your scopes. Always a good time. We will be doing this itinerary on the Symphony on 1/26/19. Also using Victor Bodden in Roatan, Maya Chan in Costa Maya, and Nachi in Coz. 

I’ll be scoping on my 1-26 sailing as well. 

Hope the cats won’t miss you too much!!!

Have a great time!

mac_tlc

Hi Mac! 

With 9 Cats, it always seems to be something, especially right before we leave town. Our big Maine Coon has been acting weird lately and I suspected a UTI, so my wife brought him in today and sure enough he has one. He got 2 injections and so now he should have relief and we ALSO have relief about leaving town. 

Im so excited for my wife to experience the Suites Lounge /Coastal Kitchen area. She’s never seen this area yet. She’s going to absolutely love it. 

Im always looking for new experiences to do. One simple thing is simply to sit at the Rising Tide Bar and have a drink while the bar is moving lol.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, OTownNick said:

Hi Mac! 

With 9 Cats, it always seems to be something, especially right before we leave town. Our big Maine Coon has been acting weird lately and I suspected a UTI, so my wife brought him in today and sure enough he has one. He got 2 injections and so now he should have relief and we ALSO have relief about leaving town. 

Im so excited for my wife to experience the Suites Lounge /Coastal Kitchen area. She’s never seen this area yet. She’s going to absolutely love it. 

Im always looking for new experiences to do. One simple thing is simply to sit at the Rising Tide Bar and have a drink while the bar is moving lol.  

Nick - we also are very excited to experience the Suites lounge and Coastal Kitchen on the cruise. We splurged for the upgrade. (Not the bid up.)

3 hours ago, BEENSAILING said:

I did not ask if he is bringing his attire on this cruise. Nick????

Well I wasn’t PLANNING  on it since we are flying and packing /luggage weight may have to be considered ........but ???

1 hour ago, tcneal said:

Looking forward to the review.   We are doing the same itinerary on the Symphony in March.

Thanks for following. Let me know if you have any questions. 

1 hour ago, BEENSAILING said:

I am sure Nick’s review will be terrific. I will add in what he may not have if I have different experiences. As he and I will both be on same cruise I look forward to reading his comments, too.

Sounds great!

16 hours ago, OTownNick said:

Thanks! I’m glad you enjoy them. 

One added note on my pre cruise background involves getting to the port of Miami. A lot of people ask where to park. For short cruises I always park right at the Port. The new Terminal A is amazing. They have facial recognition when exiting the ship. You don’t even need your passport! But have them handy in case you get a random “see Agent”. 

Since this is a longer cruise, parking at the port can get expensive at $20-$22/day. I’ve heard Park Jockey is a good alternative if anyone is looking for off site parking. 

One of the unique things about us is, we recently started FLYING to our cruises in Miami or FLL!! As crazy as that sounds -living in Florida and FLYING to a cruise in Florida- it makes sense. 

We take Uber to/ from the airports and we don’t have parking fees, gas, tolls, mileage, risk of accident, etc. The cost of flying compared to the 3+ hour drive, parking, tolls, etc is almost a wash! So why not? We end up taking Southwest a lot. No checked baggage fees are a plus. 

I have to give a shout out to my friend, Michael Poole, who turned me on to this idea. Now we LOVE the ease of getting to our South Florida ports!

We live 45 minutes NW of OIA. I have wondered if it would be worth flying to MIA or FLL, but have not heard from anyone who had done so before. Thanks for sharing how well this works for you. We sail on Symphony in April,  and are currently planning to drive down the night before we sail and stay in a hotel that offers park and cruise. Do you fly south the day of your cruise, or the day before?

On a completely different note, what's up with cats having UTI? One of ours just had the same problem, is doing fine now after treatment. Hope yours is doing well, too! 

1 hour ago, perfect match said:

We live 45 minutes NW of OIA. I have wondered if it would be worth flying to MIA or FLL, but have not heard from anyone who had done so before. Thanks for sharing how well this works for you. We sail on Symphony in April,  and are currently planning to drive down the night before we sail and stay in a hotel that offers park and cruise. Do you fly south the day of your cruise, or the day before?

On a completely different note, what's up with cats having UTI? One of ours just had the same problem, is doing fine now after treatment. Hope yours is doing well, too! 

We fly in the day of the cruise since it’s an early flight on SW. usually it’s a 7:30 flight. For some reason this flight tomorrow got moved up to 6:35 am!! We will be in MIA at 7:40!

the vet said large male cats are prone to UTIs and this is a large male cat lol. He had one about 3 years ago 

2845B903-2325-449B-8535-B863BBCE37EC.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scorpluvsdolphins said:

Hey Nick,

Any Mariner cruises booked this year?  Don’t think I’ll make signature this upcoming year, but need to decide my Pin cruise. 

Hi Teri. I have 2 Mariner cruises in March and one in May!

4 hours ago, OTownNick said:

Well I wasn’t PLANNING  on it since we are flying and packing /luggage weight may have to be considered ........but ???

4 hours ago, OTownNick said:

I guess we”ll just have to wait... 

21 hours ago, BillOh said:

Have you joined your roll yet?    I've lost track of the last predicted availability for the pier at Coco Cay, I assume it will be available for an Oasis class ship by then.

Hi!  I have!  It's not too active but I'm sure it will start a little more as we get closer!