Disposable Gloves

tjcletzgo

8 minutes ago, Kartgv said:

Decided to Google "Zylast" to see if I'd like to get some - found this on the FDA website dated June 6, 2018: https://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm610146.htm

"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today filed a complaint against Innovative BioDefense, Inc. of Lake Forest, California, and Colette Cozean, the company’s president and chief executive officer, to prohibit them from selling Zylast topical antiseptics with claims that they are effective against infection by pathogens such as norovirus, rotavirus, flu virus, Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA), and Ebola. Claims that a hand sanitizer can protect consumers against infection from pathogens are drug claims and therefore, these products are regulated by the FDA as drugs. These products from Innovative BioDefense, Inc. have not been proven to be safe and effective for these uses and are not approved by the FDA."

We've been on several cruises with noro outbreaks and have managed to avoid getting sick ourselves, so will continue to rely on frequent hand-washing and keeping hands away from the face.    

1) Frequent hand washing with hot water and soap - BEST

2) Purell and related hand sanitizers with at least 60% alcohol when the above not available - PRETTY DARN GOOD

3) Zylast - SEE 1 AND 2 ABOVE

https://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/InformationbyDrugClass/ucm444681.htm

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Sanitizer has been/is being removed for the most part from passenger areas because it gives a false sense of coverage.

Disagree. There are sanitizer stations darn near everywhere scattered about the ship. 

I am OCD about hand washing, sanitizing, cleaning the cabin upon boarding, etc., however I was one of 82 that got noro on a Crown Mexico cruise.  My sister who shared the cabin with me was fine, did not get it.  The last night of the cruise the ship's doctor said on a TV announcement that the outbreak started the very first day.  A passenger threw up in a lounge during muster drill and it became air born.  I have a weakened immune system and I think that's why I was susceptible and my sister was not, who does not share my habit of cleanliness.

I remember years ago I asked a male co-worker why he never got sick, and his answer was that boys eat dirt and that builds their immune system.  Just a theory.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1emerald1 said:

I remember years ago I asked a male co-worker why he never got sick, and his answer was that boys eat dirt and that builds their immune system.  Just a theory.....

May very well be some truth to this. George Carlin did a bit on this very subject. Talked about swimming in the East River as a child. 

12 hours ago, tjcletzgo said:

Hello!  My last 2 cruises I got a bad cold on the ship, once at the beginning and once at the end.  I want to purchase  disposable glove for the buffet as well as other high visited areas.  Can anyone recommend a box of gloves, the loose fitting ones at the cheapest price?

Thanks for any advice :)

This is so funny that you posted this because earlier today I told my daughter that we were bringing disposable gloves for the buffet and she laughed at me. Are you a Costco member?  When is your cruise? 

16 hours ago, tjcletzgo said:

Hello!  My last 2 cruises I got a bad cold on the ship, once at the beginning and once at the end.  I want to purchase  disposable glove for the buffet as well as other high visited areas.  Can anyone recommend a box of gloves, the loose fitting ones at the cheapest price?

Thanks for any advice 🙂

I have been an R.N. going on 41 years and the last 20 of those years working as a triage nurse at a VA primary care clinic so I am going to try to give you some professional practical recommendations regarding your concerns.

The common cold is a viral upper respiratory infection which is spread by droplet aerosolization which means infected droplets of respiratory secretions through the mechanisms of coughing, sneezing, and not fully contained nose blowing by an infected individual enter the air as droplets which can then enter your respiratory tract if you breath these droplets in. If your immune system is not up to snuff and not able to destroy these invading viruses then you too can contract the same respiratory virus contained in the droplets. Outside of the body these respiratory viruses do not have a long life while floating in the air or landing on surfaces because they need the food source of a human host to remain alive and active. So, wearing gloves offers little help in protection from these type of viruses because if the infected droplets land on your gloved hand and you touch your face around your nose and mouth those droplets are still on the gloves and can enter either orifice and can still infect. This is why frequent hand washing and face washing and use of hand sanitizer and facial wipes offers greater protection because you are removing frequently the infected droplets that may have landed on your hands and face. And for those who choose to use protective masks they too need to be changed frequently because once they become moist from your own secretions their protective barrier becomes less and less effective the moister the mask gets.

Noro Virus, Salmonella, E Coli, etc. are gastrointestional infections which mechanism of contraction is the fecal oral route. Transmission of these gastrointestional illnesses can happen in several ways. Most often on cruise ships those who have these infections that produce infected diarrhea and vomitus do not adequately wash their hands after having a bout of diarrhea and vomiting then go on to touch surfaces which can include food serving utensils  along with food in the buffet. Then the next person comes along and uses that contaminated utensil or goes on to ingest the food that has been touched by the infected individual and this is the most common mechanism of how these GI infections spread. The same can happen when an infected individual prepares food in an unsanitary manner. Although not as frequent, infected diarrhea particles can remain in the water of public bathroom toilets, and the next individual who uses that toilet through their flushing those infected particles can aerosolize in the air and enter one's mouth and go on to cause infection. This is one of the reasons why when there is a Noro outbreak on a ship it is recommended to try to not use the public restrooms. So again, unless you change your gloves as frequently as you would wash your hands they offer no better protection than good handwashing with an antibacterial soap or use of sanitizer when the ability to wash your hands is not available. I would only recommend use of gloves as a barrier to prevent skin infections such as Staff and MRSA for those individuals who have open wounds and lesions on their hands such as in the case of  bleeding/weeping eczema because their skin being their first line of defense against these types of infections is not intact and too frequent washing with antibacterial soaps which are very drying can worsen their skin problems.

So in a nutshell this old nurse recommends first and foremost in the protection against contracting these infectious illnesses is the maintenance of you own health. Strong immune systems begin in the gut, so maintaining high levels of good gut bacteria which kills the infection causing bad organisms which can be enhanced by simply eating yogurt or if your doctor approves taking OTC probiotics. Maintaining proper hydration is also another must to ward off dehydration which dehydration dries out the mucous membranes of the mouth and nose which can cause these delicate tissues to crack open allowing germs to enter and set up house. Rule of thumb, if you get to the point you are experiencing thirst then you are already low level dehydrated and down a liter give or take of body fluid volume so don't wait to experience thirst before you take that drink of water. Consumption of alcohol is very dehydrating and to a lesser extent coffee and tea. So to prevent any of these liquids causing you to become dehydrated drink equal if not more water along with them. Adequate rest is also very important. Taking short naps and just lying down for a 1/2 an hour or so throughout the day gives all the functions of your body time to recharge from all the energy it has expended on activities is does not usually do while cruising. And a great deal of that energy is expended digesting foods, and as we cruisers know we are eating more frequently and in larger quantities than we do on a day to day basis in our everyday lives. 

And lastly, those cold symptoms that show up on day 2 of your cruise if you flew to the port it is likely the airplane where you caught your cold and not on the cruise ship. The air quality on most planes is not very good, and that along with being in such tight quarters with a large number of individuals all breathing in an out the same stale air this is a very ripe environment for the spread of upper respiratory infections.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

I can't tell you how many times I have watched people eating while they are in the buffet line, licking their fingers (literally) and then grabbing the spoon handles (so gross). I will more than likely  be wearing gloves this trip. Bacteria and I do not get along well. 

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser

17 hours ago, sajlm045 said:

Zylast is really an excellent product that can really help against norovirus. Purell not so much. I take it with me whenever and wherever I travel. However, washing your hands with soap and water is still a must.

Never heard of Zylast. Went on my friend Google to investigate and found this:

https://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm610146.htm

38 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I can't tell you how many times I have watched people eating while they are in the buffet line, licking their fingers (literally) and then grabbing the spoon handles (so gross). I will more than likely  be wearing gloves this trip. Bacteria and I do not get along well. 

Not to mention walking out of the toilet without washing before the buffet.

• Like 1

I took disposable gloves on our cruise in November on the Crown Princess.  I brought all but 2 home with me.  I could never remember to take them with me to our meals!   Next cruise, in May, I'll be using the napkin advice, provided I can find some paper napkins in the buffet area.  I don't recall seeing any.  The cloth napkins are wrapped around the silverware at the tables.

But then again, I've never been sick before, during or after a cruise but I did wash my hands until my skin got so dry I had to use hand lotion every day. The Purell stands were at every entrance to the Horizon Courts and there was an 'attendant' standing there pointing it out to people who entered. Jus' sayin'

36 minutes ago, hllwdcruiser said:

Never heard of Zylast. Went on my friend Google to investigate and found this:

https://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm610146.htm

36 minutes ago, hllwdcruiser said:

While I don't disagree with the FDA, Zylast antiseptic hand sanitizer with 76% alcohol content is better than its competitors and provides some amount of protection when hand washing is not practical/available.  Hand washing is the best remedy, but only if done correctly and washing stations are made available.

....and then someone sneezes of coughs in your vicinity and "poof", there goes the effectiveness of your gloves, so you'd better pack some surgical masks too!

Am I the only one who'd be disturbed by someone next to me in the chow line with a pair of rubber gloves?  I'd think:

What's going on that I don't know about?

Ship's surgeon?

Germophobic wack-a-zoid

Suit up, everybody....we're goin' cruzin!

10 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

This is so funny that you posted this because earlier today I told my daughter that we were bringing disposable gloves for the buffet and she laughed at me. Are you a Costco member?  When is your cruise? 

Yes but we only cruise about once a year so I don't want a kazillion pairs of gloves ):  And we wash our hands CONSTANTLY!

1 hour ago, Diver2014 said:

The Purell stands were at every entrance to the Horizon Courts and there was an 'attendant' standing there pointing it out to people who entered. Jus' sayin'

Not on the CB recently. 

Wash if you like, use sanitizer if you want or just go in, sit down & eat.

Your choice. I guess they've learned that most people choose not to. 

50 minutes ago, floridalover5623 said:

How do you know if they've washed up or not? 

Easy, you hear the flush, then a couple of seconds later, you hear the door as they leave. No water, soap or dryer sounds.

I had a coworker that did this, it was disgusting.

• Like 2