Princess Cruise "Secrets" 2019

barbpretz

2 hours ago, TheRabbit said:

There are a few exceptions such as the Coral/Island center lifts (Not the glass Atrium elevators) face aft.

I stand corrected, thank you. :classic_smile:  I'll rephrase my statement to "most elevator lobbies, there are exceptions in the Atrium".

We haven't been on the Island or Coral for awhile, I guess I can safely say, since I learned the hint about the elevators. :classic_wink:

Edited by 2 cruises a year

If you use the hanging card to order breakfast in your room, don't be too surprised if they are early by up to 15 minutes. We've often opened the door with very bleary eyes when breakfast showed up early. It also helps if you take in your Do Not Disturb sign as soon as you are up. Otherwise the room service steward may call your room from a nearby phone to make sure you still want your breakfast delivered, especially on the first couple of days. (They also call if you don't hear them knock.)

Give your laundry/dry cleaning to your room steward before 8 am if you want it back that evening. If you do any pre-cruise activities, they're more than happy to take your dirty clothes on the first night. But don't be too surprised if there is a delay during the first one or two days (even in suites). Apparently the laundry often gets backed up at the start of a cruise. If there is a delay a notice will be left in your room. But also remember that every ship has self-service laundromats so you can do your own laundry or a bit of ironing if necessary. And you meet some of the most interesting people while doing laundry!

At Ft. Lauderdale, it is much faster and cheaper to take your own cab to/from the pier rather than Princess transfers. That may also be true in NYC/Brooklyn -- we used an airport transfer one time and a cab the second time, and they seemed to be about the same cost. The transfers are a much better deal where the airport is more than 10 - 15 miles from the pier unless you can go in with other travelers. (e.g. A cab from Quebec City to Montreal can easily run over $100.)

If you want a decent seat at the muster station drill before the ship sails, don't wait until they sound the signal. Head toward your assigned location 10-15 minutes before the scheduled time. And always take your stateroom key card since they scan them to take attendance. Also, follow the current instructions about whether to grab your life jacket. On our last cruise they did NOT want passengers to bring them to muster stations but that was the first time we had experienced that change.

5 hours ago, indyrocks said:

. And always take your stateroom key card since they scan them to take attendance. Also, follow the current instructions about whether to grab your life jacket. On our last cruise they did NOT want passengers to bring them to muster stations but that was the first time we had experienced that change.

Actually, Princess ships haven't required you to take your life jacket for some time now.  Don't take it and if you do, don't wear it. 😉  And don't think you can skip it, they will hunt you down and I've heard  of people who refused to attend (saying they are too tired) having to leave the ship (have only read about it).  Sometimes there's a later drill for those who boarded very late and/or didn't attend the first one. But they scan you into the drill and check for any passengers not scanned.

For those talking about the souffle, it varies by ship but they often have other varieties of souffle (or sauce) in the evenings in the MDR and they're excellent!  And if you are doing a B2B (back-to-back cruises--when one ends, you stay on board for the next one), the menus are usually repeated (MDR menus) so the orange souffle will come around again!    

Another tip, take your driver's license ashore with you as your government-issued ID unless you need your passport for an excursion.  It's smaller and can be replaced easier if you lose it.  If you lose your passport, you've got a problem.  We carry a xerox copy of our passports, but not sure that would get you on an airplane if you had to fly home internationally (haven't tried to show the copy as my ID either).  Some ports won't ask to see your ID but many will and if you don't have it, you may be delayed re-boarding the ship and will definitely hold up the line and cause other passengers to groan.

On 1/16/2019 at 6:28 AM, TomCon said:

how do i see our sip n sail beverage package or credit

If you do not see it in the personalizer, download your travel summary. It should be at the bottom. Hope this helps.

Bill

9 hours ago, indyrocks said:

If you want a decent seat at the muster station drill before the ship sails, don't wait until they sound the signal. Head toward your assigned location 10-15 minutes before the scheduled time. And always take your stateroom key card since they scan them to take attendance. Also, follow the current instructions about whether to grab your life jacket. On our last cruise they did NOT want passengers to bring them to muster stations but that was the first time we had experienced that change.

Not us - we use the LIFO method for the 'mustard' drill ...

Edited by voljeep
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/25/2019 at 6:37 AM, Almighty188 said:

The reason advisors advised you not to make the purchase is because it wasn't a security they are promoting.  Since advisors get paid for securities they recommend by the company which is why they don't care if you make money or not as their job is for you to bring your assets to them and for you to buy what they recommend to you as they make money from the recommendations and they usually require you to hold the security for a certain period of time too.   I know someone who used Edward Jones and they keep recommending things to buy so it gets bought but they would not let you sell it until 5 years later as they will not even accept your instructions to sell.  Another friend used Banc of America Investment Services, Inc. which was before Bank of America purchased Merrill Lynch.  The advisor sold them Mutual Funds and it was losing money big time and even 6 years later, they won't let them sell saying that they have to keep it there for a full 10 years or something.   A advisor really doesn't use their own skills to recommend things as they use what's on the list supplied by the Chief Analyst.  As for the dividends, even at 4%, it will take you 18 years to recover 100% of the cost of your investment.  And at 3.7% which is the actual dividend, it will take 19.5 years.  Regardless, it's better than putting the money in the bank even for the dividends alone and the depends on the actual return on the stock price itself.  If you cruise though, then the return is higher.  The shares you own will mostly be in street name as it's owned by the brokerage firm where you are the beneficiary owner.  Otherwise you will have the stock certificate in your hand and it has to be delivered to the broker before you can even sell the shares should you need to.  Make sure when you buy for the dividends, you look at the dividend-ex date and your shares need to settle on or before that date or else you won't be eligible for the dividends for the next dividend payment date.  

Advisors get paid to sell Mutual Funds in the  form of commission or trailer fees by the companies but not as a rule by a specific equity such as Carnival.  I believe this type of tout payment may even be illegal unless the info is disclosed.  Carnival was a bit over $70 last year and odds are the advisor thought it a tad expensive which was in hindsight good advice.  The stock bottomed below $46 in Dec and we bought some more.  

On 1/23/2019 at 5:15 PM, TwoCruisers said:

This information is specific to the Coral Princess and I imagine also for the Island Princess.

If you want an excellent viewing point for things like going through the Panama Canal there is an observation area at the front of the ship on two decks. If I remember correctly they are decks 9 and 10. Go all of the way forward in the interior hallway and you will come across a door. Go through it and you will have an exceptional view. This door may not be accessible while sailing, except for slow speeds such as going through the Panama Canal.

Actually, decks 11 & 12.  Just back from Panama cruise and yes, great viewing.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2019 at 7:50 PM, hokiefans said:

If you get a coupon book from your TA, there is often a 2 for 1 coupon for a specialty restaurant that you can use, but only on the first night of the cruise!

We got one and gave it to some friends who wanted to go the first night.  

1 hour ago, OCruisers said:

We got one and gave it to some friends who wanted to go the first night.  

What I am trying to find out is if a cruise has multiple embarkation dates can the coupon be used on another embarkation date rather than the user’s actual one. 

I’d love for someone to tell me if that would work. 

14 hours ago, RRFan said:

Actually, Princess ships haven't required you to take your life jacket for some time now.  Don't take it and if you do, don't wear it. 😉  And don't think you can skip it, they will hunt you down and I've heard  of people who refused to attend (saying they are too tired) having to leave the ship (have only read about it).  Sometimes there's a later drill for those who boarded very late and/or didn't attend the first one. But they scan you into the drill and check for any passengers not scanned.

For those talking about the souffle, it varies by ship but they often have other varieties of souffle (or sauce) in the evenings in the MDR and they're excellent!  And if you are doing a B2B (back-to-back cruises--when one ends, you stay on board for the next one), the menus are usually repeated (MDR menus) so the orange souffle will come around again!    

Another tip, take your driver's license ashore with you as your government-issued ID unless you need your passport for an excursion.  It's smaller and can be replaced easier if you lose it.  If you lose your passport, you've got a problem.  We carry a xerox copy of our passports, but not sure that would get you on an airplane if you had to fly home internationally (haven't tried to show the copy as my ID either).  Some ports won't ask to see your ID but many will and if you don't have it, you may be delayed re-boarding the ship and will definitely hold up the line and cause other passengers to groan.

Interesting, I only took a cruise once and that was Carnival in 2012, do you know if they require the scanning part because I don't remember scanning the card key.  

I have a question of B2B (Back-to-Back Cruises) like those close looped one on the Grand Princess from San Francisco, do they have to disembark the ship, go through customs/immigration or what you call it and then have to board the ship again or do they actually just stay on the ship without getting off?

It's actually better taking the passport because if you had any problems in a foreign country, your driver id will not get you the aid from the US Department of State through the Embassy/Consulate when needed while the passport will.  In my case, I will lose both if I was going to lose it as they are all part of the same wallet including the credit cards.  The Xerox copy is only for you to report it lost or stolen but when it comes to flying, the original is needed as the passports actually has a RFID chip in it.  So whatever documents you use, there will always be some risk to it which is why you should always be on alert and also carry it in a secure place where it cannot just fall out easily.  If you carry your drivers license only, you are also supposed to carry a certified copy of your birth certificate as well.  A passport will prove your U.S. citizenship while your Driver License won't. 

13 hours ago, jagsfan said:

What I am trying to find out is if a cruise has multiple embarkation dates can the coupon be used on another embarkation date rather than the user’s actual one. 

Our friends who have several upcoming cruises checked at the Purser's Desk (customer services) and were told there was no experation date and could be used the night of embarkation on all Princess ships.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, OCruisers said:

Our friends who have several upcoming cruises checked at the Purser's Desk (customer services) and were told there was no experation date and could be used the night of embarkation on all Princess ships.

Well, hopefully we can use it on the second embarkation date even though we will already be on the ship. Thanks😊

10 hours ago, Almighty188 said:

Interesting, I only took a cruise once and that was Carnival in 2012, do you know if they require the scanning part because I don't remember scanning the card key.  

I have a question of B2B (Back-to-Back Cruises) like those close looped one on the Grand Princess from San Francisco, do they have to disembark the ship, go through customs/immigration or what you call it and then have to board the ship again or do they actually just stay on the ship without getting off?

It's actually better taking the passport because if you had any problems in a foreign country, your driver id will not get you the aid from the US Department of State through the Embassy/Consulate when needed while the passport will.  In my case, I will lose both if I was going to lose it as they are all part of the same wallet including the credit cards.  The Xerox copy is only for you to report it lost or stolen but when it comes to flying, the original is needed as the passports actually has a RFID chip in it.  So whatever documents you use, there will always be some risk to it which is why you should always be on alert and also carry it in a secure place where it cannot just fall out easily.  If you carry your drivers license only, you are also supposed to carry a certified copy of your birth certificate as well.  A passport will prove your U.S. citizenship while your Driver License won't. 

Regarding the turn-around day on B2B's.  It varies from ship to ship and/or from port to port.  Most of the time, all transit (passengers who are staying on for the next cruise) are told to meet at a particular lounge at a certain time.  You may or may not have new cruise cards for the next cruise, but if you change rooms you do and they will be in the transit pkg you receive the night before disembarkation.  Someone may walk you off the ship (to scan you off for the last time) and take you through customs and then if ship is ready, you'll be the first group to scan onboard for the next cruise.  However, we've also had CBP personnel come on board and look at our documentation all together so we didn't even have to exit the ship.  Most of our B2B's have been US cruise ports.  And I think if there is a large or small number of transits affect the decision.  We had over 1,500 transits one time out of FLL and they came to us.  Of course, you can always exit the ship to do an excursion or something and take both cards and come back onboard when you're ready.  You will also receive a "In Transit" card to carry which tells the shore people that you don't need to check in again.  If you are changing rooms, you just pack the things that are in drawers etc and the steward will take the bags & hanging clothes to your new cabin.

And regarding the driver's license vs passport, my experience is mainly Canada, Mexico, Hawaii, and Alaska so that's why we've never taken passports and never needed them just for going ashore. (We DO have passports with us on the ship--I was referring strictly to going ashore at a port)  On Panama or Transatlantic cruises we carried the passports on shore in all foreign countries. (We've never been to Asia and never had to get a VISA)  Many ports don't ever ask for gov't issued picture ID, but you are always told to have it with you.  We've been in line with people who don't have anything but their cabin card, and believe me, you do hear BIG groans from the long line of tired people wanting to re-board and having to wait for the shore personnel to call ship security to come verify that person.   Also, my husband and I never take more than one credit card onshore.  Just pull them out and leave in the safe.  If we lose one, at least we have others and only have one to cancel.    

On 1/28/2019 at 9:19 PM, jagsfan said:

Good question.  I don't know how they would know.  I would venture yes as the books are not dated and we book B2Bs as separate cruises.

On 1/22/2019 at 5:09 AM, wbierbra said:

How much is the onboard credit for 100 shares?

Onboard credit per stateroom on sailings of 14 days or longer US $ 250 € 200 £ 150 A$ 250
Onboard credit per stateroom on sailings of 7 to 13 days US $ 100  € 75 £ 60 A$ 100
Onboard credit per stateroom on sailings of 6 days or less  US $ 50 € 40 £ 30 A$ 50

Tom

On 1/29/2019 at 9:05 AM, RRFan said:

Regarding the turn-around day on B2B's.  It varies from ship to ship and/or from port to port.  Most of the time, all transit (passengers who are staying on for the next cruise) are told to meet at a particular lounge at a certain time.  You may or may not have new cruise cards for the next cruise, but if you change rooms you do and they will be in the transit pkg you receive the night before disembarkation.  Someone may walk you off the ship (to scan you off for the last time) and take you through customs and then if ship is ready, you'll be the first group to scan onboard for the next cruise.  However, we've also had CBP personnel come on board and look at our documentation all together so we didn't even have to exit the ship.  Most of our B2B's have been US cruise ports.  And I think if there is a large or small number of transits affect the decision.  We had over 1,500 transits one time out of FLL and they came to us.  Of course, you can always exit the ship to do an excursion or something and take both cards and come back onboard when you're ready.  You will also receive a "In Transit" card to carry which tells the shore people that you don't need to check in again.  If you are changing rooms, you just pack the things that are in drawers etc and the steward will take the bags & hanging clothes to your new cabin.

And regarding the driver's license vs passport, my experience is mainly Canada, Mexico, Hawaii, and Alaska so that's why we've never taken passports and never needed them just for going ashore. (We DO have passports with us on the ship--I was referring strictly to going ashore at a port)  On Panama or Transatlantic cruises we carried the passports on shore in all foreign countries. (We've never been to Asia and never had to get a VISA)  Many ports don't ever ask for gov't issued picture ID, but you are always told to have it with you.  We've been in line with people who don't have anything but their cabin card, and believe me, you do hear BIG groans from the long line of tired people wanting to re-board and having to wait for the shore personnel to call ship security to come verify that person.   Also, my husband and I never take more than one credit card onshore.  Just pull them out and leave in the safe.  If we lose one, at least we have others and only have one to cancel.    

Thanks for the info on the B2B part, never knew there were multiple things that can happen.  The part where CBP comes onboard is interesting since I thought all their computers and things would actually be at the port so they would require you to go to them instead of them going to you. 

As far as passports are concerned, I guess if you were meant to lose anything, you would.  As far as leaving things in your room especially the safe, no matter where you go worldwide, whether the cruise cabin or hotel, they are not liable for anything left inside the safe so they can always open your safe and take whatever is inside and not be liable so you're really with the same risk since you should always keep your important documents with you at all times.  The only time they are liable is when it's kept in the safe at the front desk which is guest services in this case.  Mexico and Canada is still considered a foreign country and if people have problems driving into Canada from the mainland US and between Alaska and Canada, then there could always be issues when you had a problem in those countries like a medical emergency or something else in that country when you are not on the ship, then you will need your passport which you can't get as it's not in your possession and on the ship.  Driver Licenses only really proves who you are but even people who are illegal have been able to get them so while it is fine for boarding the ship even though you are supposed to always use whatever documents that is registered with the cruise line which is either a Passport or the Driver License and Certified copy of the Birth Certificate.  Besides, the chances of me losing the passport and/or the driver license is the same which means all credit cards/debit cards and also the cabin card would be lost as well since I keep everything in my Scottevest so I would have lost everything anyways which also would include money.  I have never lost my passport to date and I carry my passport daily for the last 23 years.  It is way easier for a pickpocket to take my drivers license and or state ID card which has happened before.  So I guess the thing is whatever you leave behind are also the things that can save you if you had issues in the country of the port.  We've been to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic which does have a Visa which you buy either in advance or you pay on the spot that is not tied to the passport itself but you do need to hold Visa receipt at all times until you actually leave the country as it's needed during the time of exit immigrations or else you will be fined.  We've been to Australia, Hong Kong and Macau that has no Visa requirement but still needs the U.S. Passport at all times and in Hong Kong, the police requires a Hong Kong Identity Card or a Passport which they can ask for at any point in time.  For China, there is the 10 year Visa which is required.  I guess when you are traveling, it's better to have the Passport whenever you are outside the U.S. at all times for protection as there is always the risk of losing anything.  Believe me, the risks are bigger in losing the passport like during the tours in China where each night, we changed hotels and the tour guide and hotel will take our passports after giving us our room keys so they can do our registration and then each morning, we just ask for our passports back from the tour guide which is by group # and they do not even look at the ID or names in the passports so it's pretty easy for them to give the passports to the wrong person or the hotel and tour guide loses it since you don't have to sign anything either that it is received.  Someone can always ask for passports for other groups real easily and take them as they do not place it in the order and you just walk up there   
and ask for the group #.  I thought even in the U.S. in I believe the state of Arizona, they require proof you are legal in the U.S. which means the Driver License won't help as that only has your name, address and Date of Birth.  It doesn't establish your U.S. Citizenship or legal residency which means you have to carry your Birth Certificate at all times if you were borned in the U.S. or a passport.  Otherwise, the legal residents can use their Alien Registration Card and Citizens can use their Naturalization Certificates.  It's still far easier carrying a Passport than a Certificate of any kind.  

11 hours ago, Almighty188 said:

Thanks for the info on the B2B part, never knew there were multiple things that can happen.  The part where CBP comes onboard is interesting since I thought all their computers and things would actually be at the port so they would require you to go to them instead of them going to you. 

As far as passports are concerned, I guess if you were meant to lose anything, you would.  As far as leaving things in your room especially the safe, no matter where you go worldwide, whether the cruise cabin or hotel, they are not liable for anything left inside the safe so they can always open your safe and take whatever is inside and not be liable so you're really with the same risk since you should always keep your important documents with you at all times.  The only time they are liable is when it's kept in the safe at the front desk which is guest services in this case.  Mexico and Canada is still considered a foreign country and if people have problems driving into Canada from the mainland US and between Alaska and Canada, then there could always be issues when you had a problem in those countries like a medical emergency or something else in that country when you are not on the ship, then you will need your passport which you can't get as it's not in your possession and on the ship.  Driver Licenses only really proves who you are but even people who are illegal have been able to get them so while it is fine for boarding the ship even though you are supposed to always use whatever documents that is registered with the cruise line which is either a Passport or the Driver License and Certified copy of the Birth Certificate.  Besides, the chances of me losing the passport and/or the driver license is the same which means all credit cards/debit cards and also the cabin card would be lost as well since I keep everything in my Scottevest so I would have lost everything anyways which also would include money.  I have never lost my passport to date and I carry my passport daily for the last 23 years.  It is way easier for a pickpocket to take my drivers license and or state ID card which has happened before.  So I guess the thing is whatever you leave behind are also the things that can save you if you had issues in the country of the port.  We've been to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic which does have a Visa which you buy either in advance or you pay on the spot that is not tied to the passport itself but you do need to hold Visa receipt at all times until you actually leave the country as it's needed during the time of exit immigrations or else you will be fined.  We've been to Australia, Hong Kong and Macau that has no Visa requirement but still needs the U.S. Passport at all times and in Hong Kong, the police requires a Hong Kong Identity Card or a Passport which they can ask for at any point in time.  For China, there is the 10 year Visa which is required.  I guess when you are traveling, it's better to have the Passport whenever you are outside the U.S. at all times for protection as there is always the risk of losing anything.  Believe me, the risks are bigger in losing the passport like during the tours in China where each night, we changed hotels and the tour guide and hotel will take our passports after giving us our room keys so they can do our registration and then each morning, we just ask for our passports back from the tour guide which is by group # and they do not even look at the ID or names in the passports so it's pretty easy for them to give the passports to the wrong person or the hotel and tour guide loses it since you don't have to sign anything either that it is received.  Someone can always ask for passports for other groups real easily and take them as they do not place it in the order and you just walk up there   
and ask for the group #.  I thought even in the U.S. in I believe the state of Arizona, they require proof you are legal in the U.S. which means the Driver License won't help as that only has your name, address and Date of Birth.  It doesn't establish your U.S. Citizenship or legal residency which means you have to carry your Birth Certificate at all times if you were borned in the U.S. or a passport.  Otherwise, the legal residents can use their Alien Registration Card and Citizens can use their Naturalization Certificates.  It's still far easier carrying a Passport than a Certificate of any kind.  

I'm not sure why you are so worried about proof of citizenship.  That's not the issue of what I was talking about at all.  The issue is that when in port, the ship will announce that you take a government-issued ID when going ashore.  The purpose of that is that SOME (not all) port security personnel want to see a picture because when they see your cabin card, they only see a name and no picture.  The DL (or passport) shows a picture and the name, which they can then look at you and verify that you are indeed permitted to approach the ship.  Your citizenship is not their concern.  If you don't have a picture ID, you hold up the line.  And I've never had to prove my citizenship in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, or any other state!!   Geeze-Louise!!  Lighten up Almighty and feel free to carry that passport with you at all times!  

55 minutes ago, RRFan said:

I'm not sure why you are so worried about proof of citizenship.  That's not the issue of what I was talking about at all.  The issue is that when in port, the ship will announce that you take a government-issued ID when going ashore.  The purpose of that is that SOME (not all) port security personnel want to see a picture because when they see your cabin card, they only see a name and no picture.  The DL (or passport) shows a picture and the name, which they can then look at you and verify that you are indeed permitted to approach the ship.  Your citizenship is not their concern.  If you don't have a picture ID, you hold up the line.  And I've never had to prove my citizenship in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, or any other state!!   Geeze-Louise!!  Lighten up Almighty and feel free to carry that passport with you at all times!  

:classic_biggrin: Yep!