Dining room dress code

55 minutes ago, Ilovesailaway said:

I'm a live and let live guy and tend to be non confrontational. However, I can't really see why their is debate or confusion on the issue of formal nights. If the club, hotel, resort, or ship I am visiting has rules and guidelines then I follow them. I should be expected to. I expect others to follow as well. It does affect my experience. If I go to burger king and someone walks in wearing sandals and shorts I don't care. I would not want to see that if I took my wife to a nice steak house. On every ship I have been on their is a formal night. And a buffet. 

I get it you are on vacation but you knew the rules going in.

Except “rules” aren’t “rules”.

Royal Caribbean has every right to have a suggested dress code.  And they have every right to enforce or not enforce their suggested dress code.

Bottom line, if you want to wear shorts in the MDR on formal night and they turn you away, suck it up and deal with it.  Conversely, if someone next to you is wearing shorts in the MDR on formal night, suck it up and deal with it.  The dress code is Royal’s policy to enforce, not yours (“you” and “yours” in a general sense, not directed at you ilovesailaway).

Edited by Husky1987

32 minutes ago, Husky1987 said:

The dress code is Royal’s policy to enforce, not yours (“you” and “yours” in a general sense, not directed at you ilovesailaway).

I completely agree. I wish they would make an effort to keep it formal or just do away with it. I believe eventually they will.

• Like 1

Years ago as a teen, cruises were VERY formal affairs. Ladies brought lots of fancy dresses and gowns. High Tea was served in the afternoons and every evening was either themed or formal. Guys dressed in Tuxedos and white dinner jackets.  

Times have changed. Just 15 years ago no one would have thought to attempt to go into the MDR on any night in shorts, tank top, and flipflops.  Now it is standard to see many dressed like that. 

Life has become more casual and fast-tracked. If we want to dress to the nines, then we can still dress up. I have work events that I dress for and I enjoy my time on the ship dressing up as often as I can. I have friends that don't. They spend the formal night at the buffet. We all meet up for a show later on and everyone is happy. A pair of Dockers of a LBD are fine. No one needs to spend a lot. Sure you will still see a couple in a Tux and gown but most people are a bit down from that and some are in total refusal. As Ilovesailaway said, you go to the dining venues in your hometown knowing what the dress code is. You would not attempt to go into the fanciest restaurant in the 3 county area in worn-out jeans and a torn Tee Shirt. I know there they do enforce and on the ship they try to keep the peace. BUT sometimes, someone will be turned away. Last fall, a mid 30ish man was asked to his cabin return to dress or go elsewhere to dine on formal night. Those of us around him were surprised. He was polite and left without a fuss. I wonder how many others would have done the same?  

23 minutes ago, FrankNBrew said:

For ya'll who dress to the nines, how do you travel with formal clothes? I carry a medium size suitcase, which is usually stuffed for a 7 day trip. Without bringing along a 2nd bag, how do you do it?

Larger suitcase. 

22 hours ago, FrankNBrew said:

For ya'll who dress to the nines, how do you travel with formal clothes? I carry a medium size suitcase, which is usually stuffed for a 7 day trip. Without bringing along a 2nd bag, how do you do it?

While not quite to "the nines" my husband will wear dress pants, l/s shirt with tie, and sports coat.  I will wear a long sheath style dress.  My dresses fold quite small and my flats don't take up much space (these feet aren't made for heels), and even husband's jacket and shoes don't take much extra space.

On January 15, 2019 at 1:50 PM, FrankNBrew said:

We will be on the LOTS next month on our first cruise in many years. We plan to catch the sunrise every morning and be in bed by 10:00 every night. We're not night club people, but more of the cocktails, humor, and good conversation types. Formal dress is out, so we will be skipping the MDR on formal nights. What do recommend we wear on other nights in the MDR, to catch some shows, or drop in one of the bars for after dinner cocktails? I'm a big fan of khaki shorts (sometimes plaid) and polo shirts or t shirt. Are there places where a polo, khaki shorts and open toe footwear would stand out as under dressed?

Don't skip MDR on formal nights. We quit packing formal clothes after our 3rd cruise. There is usually quite a variety of dress even on formal nights. I don't think the shorts will get you inMDR any night though.

Thanks for the info. I have a thinner sport coat. I'll do my best to load it in without any tight folds (wrapped around other clothes) and hope for the best. Worst case I'll be wearing a wrinkly sport coat over my wrinkly shirt. 

What would I expect to pay if I decided to have a button down shirt and sport coat dewrinkled on board?

20 minutes ago, FrankNBrew said:

I'll do my best to load it in without any tight folds (wrapped around other clothes) and hope for the best. 

Go to Youtube and look for vids on how to pack a suit. There is definitely a an art to it. I was so impressed watching those videos that I plan on using just a carry on for my next 7 night cruise coming up in 2 weeks. And yes I will be packing a suit.

We travel with one full size suitcase (26") and one carry-on (22"). Both DW and I  have no trouble taking enough clothes for at least two formal nights.  A trick I learned here on CC is to have your formal clothes pressed and cleaned just before you travel and leave the suits and shirts in the plastic from the dry cleaners.  For whatever reason, when left in plastic, they come looking good after being folded in half inside a suitcase and flying across the country.

Thanks for the info. I have a thinner sport coat. I'll do my best to load it in without any tight folds (wrapped around other clothes) and hope for the best. Worst case I'll be wearing a wrinkly sport coat over my wrinkly shirt. 

What would I expect to pay if I decided to have a button down shirt and sport coat dewrinkled on board?

I can't remember exactly but I think that pressing only was about $3 for a shirt and $5 for a jacket.  Give it to your cabin steward as soon as you board and you will have it back in time for the first formal night which is usually day 2

Suits don't take up as much space as some people seem to think. For two formal nights, I pack one suit with 2 shirts & 2 ties to achieve a different look.

If I didn't pack the formal wear, then I'd still need to pack an extra pair of pants and 2 extra shirts anyway. As the ties don't take up much room, the only extra room required is for the suit jacket.

• Like 2

On 1/15/2019 at 4:51 PM, Ilovesailaway said:

I'm a live and let live guy and tend to be non confrontational. However, I can't really see why their is debate or confusion on the issue of formal nights. If the club, hotel, resort, or ship I am visiting has rules and guidelines then I follow them. I should be expected to. I expect others to follow as well. It does affect my experience. If I go to burger king and someone walks in wearing sandals and shorts I don't care. I would not want to see that if I took my wife to a nice steak house. On every ship I have been on their is a formal night. And a buffet. 

I get it you are on vacation but you knew the rules going in.

They are suggested attire not required attire. If it's casual night and someone walks in wearing formal then it should bother you according to your dress standards. It must really irk you to see a guy in a suit walk into Burger King.:classic_biggrin: Funny thing is we dress up as a family and don't even notice what people are wearing. How could someones dress attire bother our night at dinner. It doesn't. Now we have been seated at a table where the man was in a tux but the smell was awful. That one did require us to leave. Don't judge a book by it's cover. Judge it by smell.:classic_smile:

Edited by repo-cruiser
typo