Another NEW Ship

captjohn

Eh,  don't think Indefatigable will make the cut. 

Launched as a Battleship in 1902; sunk by a German Battleship in 1916 at Battle of Jutland. 

Next Indefatigable lasted about the same time.  Aircraft Carrier launched in 1942; saw laudable service during the War.  Scrapped in 1956. 

I would defer to "Dreadnaught".  But, of course, I am, basically an Army guy. 

GOARMY!

2 hours ago, flossie009 said:

........ but, of course, Regent is looking to market its cruises and ships worldwide not just to those in the US.

However the main issue is that Seven Seas Splendor is an awful name for a ship (IMHO) and does not fit with the theme of the other ships in the Regent fleet.

Hopefully Regent management and marketing will review some of the excellent suggested names put forward by their customers last time around when they come to choose the name of the next ship.

I understand that some people do not like the name and others do.  Personally, I would rather see a ship with a name that other ships do not have (like Voyager of the Seas and RSSC Voyager, etc.).  Splendor is unique even though it may not fit a theme of the other ships.  

In my opinion, the name of a ship has little to do with marketing it worldwide.  Thinking about luxury cruise ship names, the ones that come to mind are Muse, Whisper, Symphony, Serenity, Spirit, Encore, Silver Moon and Quest (I know that I'm missing quite a few).  Unless I'm missing something, I do not see any correlation between the name of the ship and the fact that they market their cruises worldwide.   

It seems that spelling issues can always be a problem with various spellings of different words around the world.  In fact, there are few threads where we do not see spelling differences based on where the poster is from.  I find it interesting and does not bother me at all.  At the end of the day, Regent headquarters is in Miami, Florida and they spell Splendor the way that they were likely raised to spell it.   

For those that are interested, here is a link to a site that shows ship names worldwide (many not in service today),   It is a good read and for those that sailed on the Radisson Diamond, you will learn where she is today!  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cruise_ships

Edited by Travelcat2

I don't like the name Splendor either; it's not in keeping with the other names at all.  But didn't Regent hold a contest for the name? Can't remember exactly, but apparently they didn't think about this.  There are plenty of good nautical and exploratory names that would fit better.

35 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

TC2- just looked. Sailed on Diamond New Years 1992-93. Can’t find it on list. Help. 

Sheila

Sheila, the ship that I was thinking about was Radisson's Song of Flower.  Can you find her on the list (no need to look farther than the letter "L"):classic_biggrin:

Edited by Travelcat2

Splendour of the Seas ( in addition to Navigator of the Seas, Voyager of the Seas, Mariner of the Seas, Explorer of the Seas).

So just go to Royal Caribbean to find the name of the new ship.

• Haha 2

As indicated, I was only looking at luxury cruise lines.  I knew that if we looked at RCI that it would appear that Regent is copying some of their names.  I know that some RCI cruisers accidentally post on the Regent board but doubt if any Regent cruisers are looking around the RCI website for the Navigator, Mariner or Explorer.  

BBWC, interesting that RCI has named a ship "Splendour" of the Seas (note:  my computer did not want to accept this spelling - it was recognized as a typo).  If I saw a word spelled (or in British terms "spelt") like that I would mispronounce it.  

In any case, the Splendor is named and will be debuting in 13 months.  Let's not rehash old news.  There likely will not be discussions about the new ship until the Splendor is launched.  By then there will be lots of new CC'ers with new ideas and names to suggest (hopefully this will happen as the group on this thread - including me - could use some new, fresh and positive ideas for Regent).  We have pretty much read everything on this thread before.  Just knowing that there will be a new ship is exciting news!

P.S.  Acknowledging that all of us were raised learning how to spell in many in different countries.  No one should be put down for spelling words that they learned since they could read.  

Edited by Travelcat2

Well in my opinion it really does make a big difference regarding the name of a ship.  The name "Regent" is what they are selling, they want you to know that when you choose Regent no matter what ship you choose you can except the same service.  You don't need to look a further than Regent. 

• Like 1