Will the Scarlet Lady be competition to Regent?

Travelcat2

56 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

... In terms of the Scarlet Lady,  perhaps it would be better if they were not comparing themselves to Regent, Seabourn and Silversea. ...

I haven't seen them comparing themselves of Regent, etc. They do call themselves "premium", not "luxury".  In fact, their bumph indicates they are going after a very different demographic.

One of the many ways to evaluate a cruise ship is the gross tonnage per passenger.  This correlates with how much space you will have on board. A bigger ratio is better  For example, Mariner is 48,075 GT / 700 pax = 68.  HAL Eurodam is 86,273 GT / 2104 pax = 41.  Scarlet Lady will be 110,000 GT / 2700 pax = 41. 

Another comparison is passengers per crew, where a smaller ratio is better.  Mariner is 700 / 445 = 1.6, Eurodam is 2104 / 876 = 2.4, and Scarlet Lady is 2700 / 1150 = 2.3.

Edited by DavidTheWonderer

I hope that the tattoo parlour does not operate in rough seas, and equally that piercing is not when the ship 'rocks and rolls' otherwise who knows what will happen !!

Don't think it will interest Regent loyalists, but maybe it will appeal to a new group of cruisers. Virgin has a good reputation in the UK for many things and especially Virgin Atlantic airline has really shaken up BA and the main US airlines on many routes. My internet supplier is also Virgin and I have been pleased with this.

So lets see how they tackle cruising, but maybe not for me.

51 minutes ago, DavidTheWonderer said:

I haven't seen them comparing themselves of Regent, etc. They do call themselves "premium", not "luxury".  In fact, their bumph indicates they are going after a very different demographic.

One of the many ways to evaluate a cruise ship is the gross tonnage per passenger.  This correlates with how much space you will have on board. A bigger ratio is better  For example, Mariner is 48,075 GT / 700 pax = 68.  HAL Eurodam is 86,273 GT / 2104 pax = 41.  Scarlet Lady will be 110,000 GT / 2700 pax = 41. 

Another comparison is passengers per crew, where a smaller ratio is better.  Mariner is 700 / 445 = 1.6, Eurodam is 2104 / 876 = 2.4, and Scarlet Lady is 2700 / 1150 = 2.3.

David, if I can find the place where I copied this quote:  "Virgin Voyages has joined the ranks of several other high-end lines visiting Cuba. Those lines include Silversea, Seabourn, PONANT, SeaDream and Regent Seven Seas.", I will post the source.  What you read sounds like a conflict with what I read.  Heck, I cannot even figure out if they are all-inclusive or not.  

Have to say that I do like their logo:

image.png.3cc8e2b0cea845d11621e99edcc0befd.png

Edited by Travelcat2

At first, I thought the original post was a joke.  I can't imagine a ship with drinking games, tattoo parlors, and cabins with hokey names is competition for Regent.  Maybe the ship will have luxury type finishes but the description of it makes it sound like a Carnival cruise but at a high price.

Just one person's opinion--as they say "Whatever floats your boat."  No pun intended.

I guess my family must be in the minority; we were underwhelmed by Virgin Atlantic Business Class (three generations of us, so not just old fogey me).  This cruise line wouldn't appeal to any of us that I know of, unless it would be the 23-year-old young man who is still seeking his niche in life, and even he might be turned off.  

I don't understand advertising a cruise and seeking bookings with this little info. Fares? Room sizes? Inclusions? These are just a few bits of info we need, just for a starter. Pretty clearly, this will not be a "Regent clone". But it may be something with some appeal for those of us with a very informal, casual lifestyle -- or not. God, and the devil, are in the details -- and we don't have any. The existence of a tattoo parlor is of no concern. My town has them but nobody forces me to patronize them, and I don't. Regent has a spa but neither of us have ever visited it. Drinking games actually sound like fun -- if drinks are included in the fare. If not, they are just another cruise line money making scam. I've got much to learn about this strange,strange line, and this thread has raised my curiosity.

We're considering the Scarlet Lady (no, our TA isn't booking it).  The number of "Sailors" is primarily what puts us off.

And thanks for unpacking those stats, David.

Edited by Cerinda
add q

4 hours ago, DavidTheWonderer said:

Regent Explorer is ~54000 GT with 750 Pac = 72, and 750/552 = 1.36...even more dramatically better

I clicked on the link supplied by Pam above, and it certainly doesn't  look like Regent, or any of the Regent competitors!  I noticed no further information on fares, inclusions, and room sizes. I did see the usual cruise line term of "spacious suites" which I believe only when I see some numbers. I did notice that the "Rockstar suites" seem to include electric guitars and an amp. I sure would enjoy "blowin' some blues licks" in my suite, but I am not sure my "fellow sailors" would be very happy.

On the subject of "numbers", the ones supplied by Portolan for the Scarlet Lady do not impress. 

So with the original question in mind, "no, this is not competition for Regent".

wish,

Tattoos on a moving ship? Yes, the idea sounds stupid. But after a couple of decades of cruising only on Regent and the like, we booked a cruise on an MSC ship about the size of the Scarlet Lady, only because it was a music cruise with groups we liked. We were walking about trying to learn the ships deck plans, and I ask a crew member when we were going to sail (noting it was past time). He invited me to look out a window. We were well out to sea. Smooth as silk. Fact is, ships of Regent's size (and smaller) are not particularly smooth riding. Larger ones are smoother to our experience. Now we have no tattoos and intend to stay that way. In fact we know nothing about them. But some of our friends have some, and they tell me they would not go to an unknown "artist" and prefer their local favorite (just like I prefer my local barber). So I doubt that the tattoo parlor feature lasts long on this ship.

21 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

Well, I have tattoos.  And I drink.  And there’s nothing I see on this ship that makes me want to be on board.  Maybe 35 years ago,  but even then, no.

Not in my wheelhouse at all.

+1

Z and TB

I have nothing against people who have and like tattoos of any kind.  I just have none because, for one reason, I don’t like people sticking needles in me! I ask for a general anasthetic to get a flu shot! And those with military tattoos deserve, and receive, my respect, which they give me too as I am a DAV., but no tattoos. 

But it back to the ship, it looks to me at this point to be an absolute train wreck. But again, we need some reviews and comments from “sailors” to draw a final conclusion.

6 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

I have nothing against people who have and like tattoos of any kind.  I just have none because, for one reason, I don’t like people sticking needles in me! I ask for a general anasthetic to get a flu shot! And those with military tattoos deserve, and receive, my respect, which they give me too as I am a DAV., but no tattoos. 

But it back to the ship, it looks to me at this point to be an absolute train wreck. But again, we need some reviews and comments from “sailors” to draw a final conclusion.

My dislike of tattoos has to do with pain.  While I do not have any typical tattoos, once I had my eyebrows and eyeliner done. It was advertised as "permanent make-up (which is 100% untrue).  The pain was unbelievable.  I suspect that if I were younger, I would have had a tiny tattoo in a place that only my DH would see.  However, at my age, a wrinkled tattoo would likely be pretty ugly.  Just an honest opinion.

That’s right, TC2. And what about all these young women who get lower back tattoos? When they get into their eighth decade of life like me, don’t you think tattoos would sag? 

All I’m saying is that I don’t discriminate against people with tattoos. I just don’t want any. If somebody else wants them, that’s their right. 

Again, from the info on this thread, the Scarlet Lady just looks hideous. Not because of the “tats” but because of all else. It doesn’t look like Regent (or any lux alternative). Especially because there is no mention of all inclusive, it sounds like Carnival on steroids.

Great...Tattoos….finally a solution for people always leaving those darn plastic cards in their rooms or on shore. This time, you are not getting your card, you get a tattoo .. Silver, gold, platinum...heck even the commodore level will have a unique tattoo and we all can show it off. ..

or the imagine the gift shop value: My wife went on a cruise and all I got was this ...tattoo... 

The options are endless.   

🙂

Edited by Gcto
adding

TC2, 

We run from so called "medical service's" that offer things like that. We went to a dentist for a while until I saw a sign that he also offered botox. Then, we found another dentist. 

But again, the Scarlet Lady cruise sounds like a real train wreck. I guess it will be about a year until we can hear from anybody who has actually taken it. Till then, my money is in my wallet -- and probably thereafter.

11 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

TC2, 

We run from so called "medical service's" that offer things like that. We went to a dentist for a while until I saw a sign that he also offered botox. Then, we found another dentist. 

But again, the Scarlet Lady cruise sounds like a real train wreck. I guess it will be about a year until we can hear from anybody who has actually taken it. Till then, my money is in my wallet -- and probably thereafter.

Agree with you.  On the other hand, I would likely enjoy taking a tour of the ship but have no desire to sail on her.

Pam - thank you for posting that article.  The photos are interesting!  Although we have not flown on Virgin Atlantic, we know people that also were not impressed with their Business Class.  And, many of you may recall that Virgin America didn't make it and was purchased by another airline (think that it was Alaska but not certain).  So, everything that Sir Richard Branson does is not perfect (but I do admire the man very much).

I'm not sure why any of this matters.  It's obvious most Regent guest wouldn't cruise on the new Scarlet Lady so why the concern.  These people are smart people at Virgin, they wouldn't be spend that kind of dollars if they didn't think they could make a profit.  Again I wouldn't be sailing on them, but I'm not  the target.  Just like the "Music" cruises--they will fill the ships.  The Tattoo shop is a gimmick, and like here on CC  is getting a lot of PR from it.

So like I said who cares, if you're not going to sail in her----why do you care so much about it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

I'm not sure why any of this matters.  It's obvious most Regent guest wouldn't cruise on the new Scarlet Lady so why the concern.  These people are smart people at Virgin, they wouldn't be spend that kind of dollars if they didn't think they could make a profit.  Again I wouldn't be sailing on them, but I'm not  the target.  Just like the "Music" cruises--they will fill the ships.  The Tattoo shop is a gimmick, and like here on CC  is getting a lot of PR from it.

So like I said who cares, if you're not going to sail in her----why do you care so much about it.

One does not have to care "so much about it" to find it interesting and want to hear reactions from other Regent cruisers.  Posters that are not interested in reading about the ship certainly do not have to.  I think that I made it pretty clear in the subject of the thread that this was about a cruise ship that could be competition to Regent (or not).  We have discussed several upcoming ships on the Regent board - this is just another one.  

2 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

One does not have to care "so much about it" to find it interesting and want to hear reactions from other Regent cruisers.  Posters that are not interested in reading about the ship certainly do not have to.  I think that I made it pretty clear in the subject of the thread that this was about a cruise ship that could be competition to Regent (or not).  We have discussed several upcoming ships on the Regent board - this is just another one.  

I guess, but nothing said really matters--Post have been more about the TATTOO SHOP than the ship.  Now when  the Ritz-Carlton sails and post start to come in---that will have interesting postings and will be competition for Regent.