First Time Cheers - Welcome Suggestions

GMRPHRN

I am doing Cheers for the first time on my Feb 9 Breeze Cruise. I have never been a big drinker so would like to take this opportunity to try new things. My tastes generally follow - sweet (not dry) wines and fruit cocktails.  I am not a fan of Tequila.  I have a list of cocktails to try but would also like to know about different spirits and wines to try.  I am looking forward to the Alchemy bar, too.  Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Edited by GMRPHRN

6 minutes ago, GMRPHRN said:

I am doing Cheers for the first time on my Feb 9 Breeze Cruise. I have never been a big drinker so would like to take this opportunity to try new things. My tastes generally follow - sweet (not dry) wines and fruit cocktails.  I am not a fan of Tequila.  I have a list of cocktails to try but would also like to know about different spirits and wines to try.  I am looking forward to the Alchemy bar, too.  Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

My advise would be to visit each bar and look at their menu, each seems to have their own signature drinks... Including the sports bar, which I thought had some great cocktails that you could not find at other bars.

• Like 1

For wine, if you like sparkling, I can recommend the Domaine Ste Michelle Brut Rose, it's available by the glass and covered by Cheers. We had a couple glasses of it in the steakhouse and thought it to be really good. 

• Like 1

If you're going to spend the money on Cheers, the best thing to do is try a bunch of stuff. IMO the two most important bars will be the Alchemy and Steakhouse. Use those enough, and I believe you'll be satisfied. Ask the servers for their recommendation. The other bars will have some great fruity drinks too.

They have always allowed me to order a Perrier or bottled water with each alcoholic beverage I order.  I suggest doing this as sometimes, because you are drinking, you can forget to stay hydrated.  I order large waters at meals as well.

Also, order water and an herbal tea before bed at the coffee bar and drink them both before going to sleep. This will do wonders in keeping you feeling great if you are not normally a big drinker.  

I like the exact opposite drinks so you, dry, no sweet and very little, if any, mixers (although I do hate tequila but love a straight, aged mescal) but let the Alchemy bartenders know what you like and they will know what to serve you.  Tip very well with cash on your first order of the night and they will keep you supplied.  The Alchemy bar gets swamped so you either need to tip very well in cash, just so they remember you, or arrive very early. It's not that they ignore anyone but they just have too many customers and too little time.  I will say though, if you don't want the show, and you figure out what you like, any bartender around the ship will make you a great drink. The Alchemy is half about the fancy show. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice about water. I had thought I would order some bottled water with my drink orders to keep on hand. I am accustomed to pre-ordering water but figured Cheers would cover that, too.,  I usually drink a lot of water while onboard anyway because I use the patch for motion sickness and it makes you thirsty. 

I didn't mention I also plan to take advantage of the coffee bar. The coffee on Lido is not very good to me. I am looking forward to trying some after dinner drinks and coffee drinks, too.

1 hour ago, GMRPHRN said:

I didn't mention I also plan to take advantage of the coffee bar. The coffee on Lido is not very good to me. I am looking forward to trying some after dinner drinks and coffee drinks, too.

Same here, we can't stand the included coffee, so the coffee bar being included in Cheers is a big plus for us as we usually drink 3 cups a day at home and on vacation. 

Something you may want to try is a spiked hot chocolate, DH loved it and got one every night after dinner. It's not listed on the menu, but they will add a shot of any one of the liquors they have to the HC if you ask for it. DH had either Bailey's or the chocolate liqueur in his.

43 minutes ago, Laurab23 said:

Try the ting mojito. It is really good. Also go to Alchemy and tell them what you like and they will fix it. The joy of cheers is if you don't like it don't drink it and get something else.

Laura

Ugh...Ting Mojito...I couldn’t drink it. So many limes. It was very...limey.

Edited by Saint Greg

I really thought I liked mint until I tried my first Mojito. Turns out I like peppermint, as in peppermint mocha, york peppermint patties and Uncle Bob's peppermint candy.  Can't stand the taste of fresh mint.

2 hours ago, GMRPHRN said:

I really thought I liked mint until I tried my first Mojito. Turns out I like peppermint, as in peppermint mocha, york peppermint patties and Uncle Bob's peppermint candy.  Can't stand the taste of fresh mint.

Right there with you.  Love mint, but hate mojitos.

Be sure to try the "Cucumber Sunrise" at Alchemy and a "Cruiser" Cocktail at pretty much any other bar. 

Also, order by the brand if you enjoy spirits with just a simple mixer.  Even the highest quality spirits are included on Cheers usually so get the $20 vodka!  Have fun experimenting!  

Definitely check out the different bar menus! They all have different drinks themed to the location. For example, I know the bars that service the Serenity areas have a bunch of different Sangria's (both red and white). I'm dying to try those on our upcoming cruise! 

I was never a huge mojito fan until the last few years. On our last couple cruises, I really found myself enjoying the Mango mojito! But you can get different variations if you don't enjoy Mango. 

As I've gotten older, I've tended to gravitate toward creamier drinks. For dinner, I almost always get a Tiramisu Martini (or two)! It is literally like dessert in a glass! 

Check out Carnival's website - you should be able to view the menus of the various bars aboard your ship. And you will love the Breeze. 17 cruises and it's been my favorite ship by far! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Atlantamom3 said:

Does cheers include bottles of bottled water? Does it "count" towards your limit?

As noted, you can get "free" bottled water with Cheers!  And only alcoholic drinks count towards the limit, so you can drink coffees, bottled water, soda, Powerade, etc all day long.  Well, as much as your bladder and trips to bathroom will allow... :classic_wink: