On Board Credit with No Show

ev8876

We're just off the Ruby Princess this past Saturday.  We had a great trip and the ship was in great shape.  We had a group of 14 people in 7 cabins.  The day before our trip, one of our group had to have emergency surgery and was not able to make the trip so we had a cabin with just one person in it.  Princess had provided us a $100 shipboard credit per cabin and then our travel agent sent us another $25 per cabin.  For the cabin that only had the one passenger in it, Princess would only honor $50 of the on board credit that they provided (despite the fact that the cabin was paid for in full).  Disappointing, but nothing we could do.  What really got us mad was the $25 credit provided by our travel agent.  Because the no show passenger was listed as the "lead" passenger on the reservation, Princess would not move the $25 on board credit to the remaining passenger in the cabin.  So Princess just pocketed the gift sent by the travel agent.  That move seems pretty bad to me.  No amount of arguing with them would change their opinion.

Some decisions made by Princess seem to do more harm in aggravating and alienating passengers than the monetary gain is worth. With so much competition among various cruise lines, you’d think they’d do anything to keep passengers happy!

I suspect with that size of just your group that your TA formed a group booking, and the amenity points were used for OBC. Given that, the $25 came from Princess, not the TA.  

eta-I agree with Coral that an actual last day cancelation may have been wiser, although much depends on whether insurance was purchased and the risk of re-faring if not.  You would have at least received the taxes and fees back, butI realize this is water under the bridge for you now, and I hope that the friend who was hospitalized is doing well.

Edited by cherylandtk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Colo Cruiser said:

I would think the OBC which is assigned to that no show passenger is usually not transferable anyway.

I agree about the agent trying to deal with this before the cruise departed.

A lot of Princess OBC is now per cabin so singles get credit for both people. So you never know.

3 hours ago, OR_Cowboy_1952 said:

Your TA needs to call Princess and request the gift back; it was his/her gift.

Not necessarily unless the OP knows that the TA paid for it out of their pocket.  I'm thinking it might have been a Group amenity which is usually separated between the first 2 passengers.  They should've each gotten $12.50.  If was a gift from the TA's commission, then the TA might be able to get it back and then send it to the OP.
I rarely get double the OBC when I travel as a solo and I always have to pay double the cruise fare, so that's not anything new.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

8 minutes ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

I never get double the OBC when I travel as a solo and I always have to pay double the cruise fare, so that's not anything new.

8 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Looks like we know now.

I actually do get double when it comes to group amenities and also many Princess promos. Princess made this change years ago.

I would check with your TA why you are not getting double OBC.

Though it would have to be adjusted before hand to cancel the passenger to get it if it is a group amenity. 

Edited by Coral

4 minutes ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

Just did a solo and didn't get the full Group amenity OBC.  Sometimes I do but it seems to be how it's attached to the booking.

My TA must be able to work the magic then as I always get it. I also have it for all future cruises.

Edited by Coral
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

You go ahead and think that, Coral.  It has to do with how the Group was set up and how the OBC was applied - either split (as it's supposed to be) or all on passenger 1.

Not necessarily because if 2 people are in a cabin it is split. If one is, they get all of it. Same with a lot of the Princess promos. Again, Princess changed this years ago. I work with an agent who is really good.

Edited by Coral
  • Haha 1

We traveled recently as a group of 7 cabins. Those who were single in their cabin did get double the group on board credit. Those who had 2 passengers -- their cabin received the same amount but it was divided between the 2 individuals. Same with Princess credit from the Landmark sale.

18 minutes ago, Casey12 said:

We traveled recently as a group of 7 cabins. Those who were single in their cabin did get double the group on board credit. Those who had 2 passengers -- their cabin received the same amount but it was divided between the 2 individuals. Same with Princess credit from the Landmark sale.

I commend Princess as I often travel single and am getting double OBC also. Kudos Princess.