Tour of the ship

Grburkart

As someone who loves anything 'behind the scenes', I am more interested in this tour than any excursion on my upcoming Hawaii trip. I'm going to be gutted if I don't get to go! Getting to the port early and beelining to passenger service the second I get onboard. Hopefully while everyone else is beelining to Sanctuary. 😉

2 minutes ago, Cyn874 said:

As someone who loves anything 'behind the scenes', I am more interested in this tour than any excursion on my upcoming Hawaii trip. I'm going to be gutted if I don't get to go! Getting to the port early and beelining to passenger service the second I get onboard. Hopefully while everyone else is beelining to Sanctuary. 😉

I think, at least I’m hoping, that I have an advantage because I’m on a 22 day cruise which is two 11 day cruises back to back. If I miss the calling on the first cruise, I’ll already be on board for the second cruise. 

Like you, I am looking forward to the adventure. 

Glenn

We love this tour, someone here said to think of it as another shore excursion.  

Sounds like you all have a good chance to make it, Glenn, you might be able to convince Passenger Services to let you sign up for leg 2 if you don't make it for leg 1.  Lots of folks don't even know it exists until they see in in the Patter.

Do take a pocket camera, iPhone, or Android, they have started letting you take photos on the bridge (no video).    On the Star last December we got bubbly and canapes on the bridge.  We did not see the incinerator or the funnel on any of our several USTs.

Bridge photos from March, Emerald Princess:

https://33042718hawaiitahitisamoacruise.shutterfly.com/pictures/103

7 minutes ago, Ferd Berfle said:

We love this tour, someone here said to think of it as another shore excursion.  

Sounds like you all have a good chance to make it, Glenn, you might be able to convince Passenger Services to let you sign up for leg 2 if you don't make it for leg 1.  Lots of folks don't even know it exists until they see in in the Patter.

Do take a pocket camera, iPhone, or Android, they have started letting you take photos on the bridge (no video).    On the Star last December we got bubbly and canapes on the bridge.  We did not see the incinerator or the funnel on any of our several USTs.

Bridge photos from March, Emerald Princess:

https://33042718hawaiitahitisamoacruise.shutterfly.com/pictures/103

Nice photos. Thanks for sharing. 

Im travelling solo so that may be an advantage as well. I’ll get in under the radar, so to speak. 

Glenn

• 4 weeks later...

I took this tour last April on the Emerald Princess.

Yes, it is awesome.  My particular shout out goes to the Chief Engineering Officer who gave the presentation in the Engine Control room.

I am going to be a tad indelicate, here, I'm sorry.

When I received notification that I had made the list, I, of course, read every word of instruction.  Meet at Vines at 8:30 am, no photography, be prepared to do a lot of walking--including stairs--and no bathroom breaks.

Being a man of quite a few years, that last one seemed potentially problematic.

So, no wine with dinner the night before and no coffee in the morning for me.  I even passed on the drinks that were offered to us in the galley.

It turned out fine.

😉

• Like 1

On 1/29/2019 at 4:43 PM, WisCruiser2 said:

We did this last year on the Crown. There were a couple of places we were told we could take photos but as we were going to the Bridge the guide said to be sure all phones were turned off and put away. Then, on the Bridge, the Senior First Officer told us to go ahead and take pictures! Go figure...

As others have said, it's an awesome tour and well worth it!

Different cruise lines have different rules about photos on the ship's tour.

a) Princess says "no" officially, but unofficially does say "yes" during the tour when on the bridge and sometimes other areas, but never in the Engine Control Room.

b) Carnival strictly forbids it. Any cameras, cell phones, etc. must be surrendered at the start of the tour and you then pass through a metal detector to be sure you are not hiding such a device.

c) Celebrity says "be sure to bring your camera on the tour."

4 hours ago, Cyn874 said:

No bathroom breaks, really?? That surely isn't a thing. 

We have always been offered the opportunity to use a bathroom, but you had to ask for it. There was no reserved time for everyone to take such a break.

• Like 1

We'll be on the Sky in January next year.  Definitely will be heading directly to Guest Services as soon as we board to get our names on the list!  The possibility of getting to go behind the scenes on a new ship is irresistible! 🤞

Edited by Ms SailAway

On 1/29/2019 at 9:38 AM, TracieABD said:

It is called the Ultimate Ships Tour. It cost about $150. They limit the number of people to >20. You sign up at the Passengers Service Desk. I would go there first thing when you embark! You get gifts. I still use my robe.

It is lots of fun.

Uh, they limit the number to less than 20 not greater than 20!! That's why you need to go to Passenger Services as the first thing you do.  Some ships may have different limits also as to how many people they'll allow.

We did the UST on the Grand a couple years ago. We had a ton of OBC and it was use it or lose it. Was well worth it!

The bridge was awesome, but it was a very rough sea day with 15-20' waves and my wife almost lost it on the bridge. When they brought out the hors 'dourves she turned green. Barfing on the bridge would not have been cool, so we left a little early. Fortunately it was the last stop on the tour.

Edited by TriumphGuy

49 minutes ago, TriumphGuy said:

We did the UST on the Grand a couple years ago. We had a ton of OBC and it was use it or lose it. Was well worth it!

The bridge was awesome, but it was a very rough sea day with 15-20' waves and my wife almost lost it on the bridge. When they brought out the hors 'dourves she turned green. Barfing on the bridge would not have been cool, so we left a little early. Fortunately it was the last stop on the tour.

Right you are!!

🤢

13 hours ago, caribill said:

Different cruise lines have different rules about photos on the ship's tour.

a) Princess says "no" officially, but unofficially does say "yes" during the tour when on the bridge and sometimes other areas, but never in the Engine Control Room.

b) Carnival strictly forbids it. Any cameras, cell phones, etc. must be surrendered at the start of the tour and you then pass through a metal detector to be sure you are not hiding such a device.

c) Celebrity says "be sure to bring your camera on the tour."

Yes

On 2/24/2019 at 3:21 PM, TriumphGuy said:

That would have made a great photo opt.🤢

Something you don't see every day.