Tour of the ship

Grburkart

I read somewhere, I can’t seem to find it, that tours of the ship are available. I like to check out the inner workings of things such as, in this case, the bridge and especially the engine room. It’s nice to see what makes things tick. I read somewhere that we could sign up at the front desk. Has anybody done this?

Glenn

It is called the Ultimate Ships Tour. It cost about $150. They limit the number of people to >20. You sign up at the Passengers Service Desk. I would go there first thing when you embark! You get gifts. I still use my robe.

It is lots of fun.

Just back from the Caribbean Princess.  Signed up my husband on day one as had been suggested by CC in earlier posts. They did it on a sea day near the end of the cruise.  He reported that it was his cruise highlight. Had a ball and kept me entertained at drinks and lunch with all he’d seen. $150 for four hours (at least his was that long !) Great gifts including nice photo frame, upgrade type Princess robe, Princess apron, photos with crew and captain, etc. etc.  He also said that they like to keep participants <15. 

Ps. Hi TracieABD!!!

44 minutes ago, Grburkart said:

I read somewhere, I can’t seem to find it, that tours of the ship are available. I like to check out the inner workings of things such as, in this case, the bridge and especially the engine room. It’s nice to see what makes things tick. I read somewhere that we could sign up at the front desk. Has anybody done this?

Glenn

No engine room, just the EGR. Engine Control Room.

• Haha 1

We did this on the Regal last year & it was great!  Be sure & have long pants & closed-toe shoes as they're required.  Also, don't let the release form scare you -- talks about noise levels, dangerous areas, etc.  I didn't find it dangerous.  Lots of walking & standing. 

38 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Thank you for the link! After looking at it, I have a renewed excitement for the adventure. I’ll be sure to make every effort to get my name on the list. 

Glenn

9 minutes ago, Grburkart said:

Thank you for the link! After looking at it, I have a renewed excitement for the adventure. I’ll be sure to make every effort to get my name on the list. 

Glenn

Glad that was helpful...only “negative” I’ve read about is getting all of the extras ProfMHC described into a suitcase post-cruise. ☺️

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Glad that was helpful...only “negative” I’ve read about is getting all of the extras ProfMHC described into a suitcase post-cruise. ☺️

Good point! I’m a solo traveler and I’m allowed 2 suitcase on the plane so I’ll take good advantage of the space. 

Glenn

We did the tour on the golden princess, booked it at guest services as soon as we got on board. It was a 13 night cruise and had it on the second last sea day.

We had a guide, a security officer and a photographer. the group was 11 people,  Met at about 8.30am.  It included, the back stage in the theatre, the anchor winch room, then on lower decks cold room food storage, and fruit and veg food pre-area, the laundry  ( 70kg washers and 40 kg dryers ), print room... ( photos and platters ).  engine control room,   then by to the galley, and the bakery, drink storage... and fruit cocktail....... then finally the bridge and met the captain, and ending in the wheelhouse bar for a glass of fizz and some nibbles....... later what arrived in our cabin.... bathrobe ( not the same as in your cabin ), an apron, a framed photo ( 8 x 10 of the group on the bridge ) and about 6-7 other photos taken in other areas we stopped at...

All in all about 3 1/2 hours and very interesting, we concided it worth the money.

It said on the letter no cameras, but half the people had phone camera or small pocket cameras, should have taken mine. as they took photos but not flash

Would do it again on one of the new ships

Hope this of some help Glenn

Cheers Don

Edited by getting older slowly

1 hour ago, Grburkart said:

Good point! I’m a solo traveler and I’m allowed 2 suitcase on the plane so I’ll take good advantage of the space. 

Glenn

Just the robe weights 2+ pounds. They brought everything stuffed into a Princess blue bag when we did it. If you don't unwrap anything you can carry it off the ship in the provided bag (if you run out of room in the suitcase).:classic_blush:

47 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

bathrobe ( not the same as in your cabin )

Actually, the last 2 cruises we've been on (Star in Sept. & Ruby last week), the cabin robe was the "upgraded" version that we got on the tour a couple of years ago.

They are very nice quality and heavy. I'm 5'5" and the robe comes down to my ankles.

1 hour ago, Stonewolf Cruiser said:

Tour participants are not allowed to take photos.

A ship’s photographer will go along on the tour to take group photos at various stops.  Afterward, you will be given a copy of all the photos along with the other gifts.

We did this last year on the Crown. There were a couple of places we were told we could take photos but as we were going to the Bridge the guide said to be sure all phones were turned off and put away. Then, on the Bridge, the Senior First Officer told us to go ahead and take pictures! Go figure...

As others have said, it's an awesome tour and well worth it!

2 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

We did the tour on the golden princess, booked it at guest services as soon as we got on board. It was a 13 night cruise and had it on the second last sea day.

We had a guide, a security officer and a photographer. the group was 11 people,  Met at about 8.30am.  It included, the back stage in the theatre, the anchor winch room, then on lower decks cold room food storage, and fruit and veg food pre-area, the laundry  ( 70kg washers and 40 kg dryers ), print room... ( photos and platters ).  engine control room,   then by to the galley, and the bakery, drink storage... and fruit cocktail....... then finally the bridge and met the captain, and ending in the wheelhouse bar for a glass of fizz and some nibbles....... later what arrived in our cabin.... bathrobe ( not the same as in your cabin ), an apron, a framed photo ( 8 x 10 of the group on the bridge ) and about 6-7 other photos taken in other areas we stopped at...

All in all about 3 1/2 hours and very interesting, we concided it worth the money.

It said on the letter no cameras, but half the people had phone camera or small pocket cameras, should have taken mine. as they took photos but not flash

Would do it again on one of the new ships

Hope this of some help Glenn

Cheers Don

Thank you Don! This is a great insight in what to expect. I hope I get chosen to take this tour.

I’m always in need of a good bathrobe. Lol. I had thoughts of giving it as a Christmas gift but it would be thought that I stole it! I jest, of course. 

The other thing I like is that the tour is offered in the morning. Frees up the afternoon for a spa treatment and a nap!

Glenn

When we did our first UST, we drove to the port (the Grand Princess). We fly to our next ship (the Coral) as well as to the Enchanted, so if we are lucky enough to get the UST on them, I plan to ship the gifts home from a UPS store, etc. 🙂

My Mom & I did the tour on the Ruby in 2017.  I recommend that everyone does it.  It was fascinating and a lot of fun.  You learn so much and some of the things I found most interesting were those that I wouldn't have thought (seeing the veggie & meat cutters in their little rooms, the ordering guy).  I got to see my favorite person on the whole ship - the woman who made all the fruit tartlets.  😃 The view from the bridge is worth the price alone.   

I gave my bathrobe to my bro-in-law for Christmas, but I use my Princess apron all the time. 

We finally took the tour last spring on the Regal. We signed up after lunch the first day and were on the waitlist. Fortunately, enough people signed up for them to do two groups. The first group had around a 30-minute head start. Our tour also included the medical center in addition to the places mentioned by Don. My favorite places were the galley and stores and the bridge.

We tried signing up on a previous cruise, but they did not offer a tour on that one because not enough people signed up. We knew we wanted to do it only on a cruise where we drove to the port, and we usually fly to Fort Lauderdale.

Edited by geoherb

Thanks Geoherb,

I forgot the medical centre, ( seniors moment ) when we went they had a full house ( sick people ) but we did see the operating theatre, it was only a quick visit., as they were looking after the people.

yes the bridge was excellent, with a great view, particularly at the end of the wings ( I think that what you call the bit that sticks out so you can see forward and back )

Cheers Don