Drug sniffing dogs on board NCL ships?

Kmkub

6 hours ago, Kmkub said:

Well, dogs aren't creepy. Lol...

Seeing a cop in full garb wandering the cabin hallways with a dog, though? I'd find it a bit disconcerting. We'll find out on Friday - off to the Caribbean on the Jade!!

"Disconcerting"? Maybe if I was carrying illegal drugs I'd find it disconcerting. Personally, I find it comforting that NCL would utilize law enforcement/K9.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fk3908 said:

"Disconcerting"? Maybe if I was carrying illegal drugs I'd find it disconcerting. Personally, I find it comforting that NCL would utilize law enforcement/K9.

Do you know what happens when you fail to exercise your body? Your body deteriorates.

Do you know what happens when you fail to exercise your rights? Your rights deteriorate.

This is not a political forum, so I am holding back, but your "if you aren't doing anything wrong," attitude is anti-American. I cruise to get away from the police state; I don't need it at sea. By all means, sniff all my stuff going on and off the ship, but keep your police state off my ship. Please.

Not wanting security theater at sea does not make one a drug user.

7 minutes ago, Kmkub said:

Do you know what happens when you fail to exercise your body? Your body deteriorates.

Do you know what happens when you fail to exercise your rights? Your rights deteriorate.

This is not a political forum, so I am holding back, but your "if you aren't doing anything wrong," attitude is anti-American. I cruise to get away from the police state; I don't need it at sea. By all means, sniff all my stuff going on and off the ship, but keep your police state off my ship. Please.

"Police State" "Security Theater" LOL. How do you even know that the officer and K9 were there for drugs? Could have been a bomb/explosives sniffing dog routine sweep as a anti-terrorism security measure?  They are onboard to ensure your safety not to take away your rights. You DO have a RIGHT to stay home and not go on a cruise if you're afraid of a law enforcement officer and K9 partner walking through a ship's hallway. It is NOT "your" ship. It is owned by NCL and the safety of the crew and passengers are their responsibility. I'm glad they take it seriously.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

If you are docked it is probably the local police. The Bahamas are well known for boarding the docked ship at Nassau and inspecting hallways and cabins for drugs (google it).

The reason is that the fine, about $500, can be quickly paid at the court they drag you to, with plenty of time to get back to your cruise. Unless you want to talk to the judge or plead your case; then you get to stay a few nights in the grey-bar hotel.

Interesting in who has jurisdiction - authority to arrest - NCL - Captain of the ship - Interpol -

Coast Guard in local or international waters ?

On another note drug dogs are not K-9 enforcers (biters) - when a drug dog sniffs drugs he

usually sits down and that is the clue that something is afoot Sherlock.

Yippie !  I get a treat and those folks I just nosed up get another kind of treat silver bracelets

and cruiser trip away from the cruise ship - that on shore inside cabin is something to see and

the form of payment for the fare is in years months and days with time off good behavior - such a deal !

Cruising since 2006 and have never seen a dog or pet of any kind onboard a ship.

At the piers and around the ports yes have seen K-9 dogs in service and especially at airports. 

14 hours ago, Kmkub said:

Agreed, but that's not what this thread is about.

Huh?  You started a thread you heard dogs were aboard a NCL ship.

Way too many assumptions on this thread. Yes people smuggle drugs on cruise ships all the time.  That is not new.  However its a wrong assumption if dogs are at a port or on a ship they are tipped off there are narcotics on board and they are actively searching.  Just like the Coast Guard and ICE can board any ship in US Ports, other countries have the same jurisdiction.  There are routine patrols just like at airports.  Last December when I flew out of MIA the dog sniffed everyone who was in line waiting to get past TSA.  Was the dog looking for drugs?  No.  Dogs are trained for all kinds of things.  This dog was trained for gun powder or explosive residue.  It was a routine patrol.  Dogs also are a great deterrent when people see them at ports or ships.  Seeing them in general areas like Spic H20 indicates is just a routine patrol inspection.  If you saw them inside a cabin then that's a different story.  A canine officer may accompany his partner on the ship and may bring his dog.  Also, dogs are trained to sniff out all kinds of things.   Its a huge assumption to think its only narcotics.  Lastly, these cruise ships originate in the USA.  No one is smuggling drugs from the USA to Mexico or Costa Maya.  Anyone who was smuggling would be intercepted back in the USA since that is the intent of the smuggling.

Long story short, most times these are routine patrols.  And the drugs that are intercepted are most times not discovered by dogs.  There are informants who blow the whistle on smuggling crew or passengers and dogs are not even needed.

Just because you see a dog on a ship does not mean there are drugs on the ship and it does not mean there is a tip there are drugs on the ship.  There also could be passengers loaded with cocaine hidden in sandals they picked up in port and not discovered by dogs.  ICE discovers them through informants, interviews, nervousness, and secondary inspection X ray machines.

Everyone including the dogs are just doing their job.  Dogs can be certified in narcotics, cash/currency, explosives, and other contraband.  Since the port host country protects its cruise industry, I would think there are more explosive sniffing dogs around to protect tourists and the industry than narcotics.  The goal is to keep everyone safe and routine patrols are normal. Just because you did not see them on your cruise, chances are they were on the previous cruise or maybe the next one.

Edited by david_sobe

15 hours ago, Kmkub said:

I posted a thread on the MSC forum about them having found cocaine on the Divina.

A member replied, "My friend just back from NCL cruise ,they had policeman and a dog going around the ship 24/7 sniffing pas for drugs ."

This is creepy. Is this really happening?

There was something in our paper a week or so ago and also on Fox I think about a drug stiffing dog in a terminal who actually got sick from the drugs he smelled it was so strong, but that was not actually on the ship. I would believe that before I would believe the dog was on the ship with a police officer.  

7 hours ago, Kmkub said:

This isn't happening at sea as far as I know.  I've never seen dogs at sea only in port.  Your "American Rights" don't apply in foreign ports.

1 hour ago, david_sobe said:

Huh?  You started a thread you heard dogs were aboard a NCL ship. 

Yes. 24/7. Now, maybe, by 24/7, they meant at the start of the cruise only. To me, it sounded like dogs were on board for the entire cruise, walking around bars, on the sun deck and through cabin hallways, for the entire cruise. You know, 24/7.

I wouldn't post to ask about dogs at the terminal or while in port.  That's just silly. We've done quite a few cruises; there's nothing unusual about dogs being NEAR the ship. I've just never seen one on the ship while the ship is at sea.

I find that strange, and not because we love illegal drugs. Reason? We don't use illegal drugs.

7 hours ago, fshagan said:

If you are docked it is probably the local police.  

If the comment I read was, "we saw dogs at the dock," I would have responded to the poster that there's nothing unusual about that. The comment was that the cop & dog were wandering the ship, 24/7, meaning, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, while on the cruise.

I'm so completely sorry that I even started this thread, for what I thought would be a relatively simple question about something I read was happening, that we've never seen.

Instead I get accused of being a drug user and/or told that dogs are sometimes at the port, as if I'm an idiot. Sigh.

26 minutes ago, Kmkub said:

I'm so completely sorry that I even started this thread, for what I thought would be a relatively simple question about something I read was happening, that we've never seen.

Instead I get accused of being a drug user and/or told that dogs are sometimes at the port, as if I'm an idiot. Sigh.

You do realize this is a discussion forum on the Internet, right?

Just now, fshagan said:

You do realize this is a discussion forum on the Internet, right?

Sigh. I've been a member of dozens of forums going back to the 90s.

The posters here are usually much better readers and far less accusatory towards people they don't know.

17 hours ago, Kmkub said:

I posted a thread on the MSC forum about them having found cocaine on the Divina.

A member replied, "My friend just back from NCL cruise ,they had policeman and a dog going around the ship 24/7 sniffing pas for drugs ."

This is creepy. Is this really happening?

Creepy? LOL   What is creepy about it? Detection dogs are everywhere, planes, ships, airports, ports, cities 

17 hours ago, Kmkub said:

There are dogs with handlers on board, I am assuming police dogs used for drug sniffing. They were in uniform.

We were on the Getaway in January and the dog and handler, were walking through the cabin hallways when we saw them.  We were at sea that day. So yes, they are there. 

All ships, don't know. 

Safe sailing all !!

3 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Creepy? LOL   What is creepy about it? Detection dogs are everywhere, planes, ships, airports, ports, cities 

It's why I asked the question. To me, all around the ship, 24/7 indicates, "all the time and everywhere."

So, I can imagine a fun filled sea day, we're at the piano bar, sipping martinis. Up come a cop & a dog and dog starts sniffing me for drugs. 

Yes. Creepy.

1 minute ago, Cruisercl said:

There are dogs with handlers on board, I am assuming police dogs used for drug sniffing. They were in uniform.

We were on the Getaway in January and the dog and handler, were walking through the cabin hallways when we saw them.  We were at sea that day. So yes, they are there. 

All ships, don't know. 

Safe sailing all !!

Thank you for understanding my question. Did they wander everywhere? Were they in the bars, restaurants, sun deck?

1 minute ago, Kmkub said:

Thank you for understanding my question. Did they wander everywhere? Were they in the bars, restaurants, sun deck?

I only saw them the one time walking through the ship but they were there when we were getting back on the ship. Certainly not around alot or a common presence in the public areas.

I did see a drug sniffing dog team doing training at an airport once. They train them to walk by people and not sniff them unless they smell what they are looking for so they should not be sniffing each individual if you are just sitting there (without cause). They are generally even tempered beautiful dogs that well trained to do what they do.

On the ship, I did not find the extra security offensive, just observed that they were there.

18 minutes ago, Kmkub said:

It's why I asked the question. To me, all around the ship, 24/7 indicates, "all the time and everywhere."

So, I can imagine a fun filled sea day, we're at the piano bar, sipping martinis. Up come a cop & a dog and dog starts sniffing me for drugs. 

Yes. Creepy.

18 minutes ago, Kmkub said:

Get real, its not like the dog are roaming around the ship 24/7 LOL

11 minutes ago, Cruisercl said:

I only saw them the one time walking through the ship but they were there when we were getting back on the ship. Certainly not around alot or a common presence in the public areas.

I did see a drug sniffing dog team doing training at an airport once. They train them to walk by people and not sniff them unless they smell what they are looking for so they should not be sniffing each individual if you are just sitting there (without cause). They are generally even tempered beautiful dogs that well trained to do what they do.

On the ship, I did not find the extra security offensive, just observed that they were there.

Thank you. 

There was an officer and an adorable black lab on our Breakaway cruise Jan 6th.  First time we had ever seen one in our 7 cruises.  We spoke to him and the dog has to stay on the ship in ports.  The dog isn't allowed off but stands right inside as guests come back on the ship.  We never saw them just roaming the ship though.  The lab was just there for nose work.  She was as sweet as could be.

On a side note, the K9 dog at Harvest Caye is very creepy and scary!