Sewage smell throughout Celebrity Edge?

layingblames

Just back from the January 20 sailing of the Edge, and wondering if anyone else on recent sailings had to contend with a sewage smell on the Celebrity Edge? It was gag-inducing, and many of the other guests I spoke with had the same horror stories of having to vacate an area or a bar because of the smell came out of nowhere made staying in an area unpleasant to say the least. 

It wasn't the ship exhaust, because it happened in many different places on the ship, above and below deck, fore and aft. Worst occurrences were at the Sunset Bar, Retreat Pool, and on floors with guest rooms when crossing through the ship. 

Employees were covering their noses and making similar grossed-out faces as the guests, and no one knew what the cause of the smell was (or at least weren't sharing more information). 

• Haha 1

On the Jan 13 sailing there was one evening that there was a sewage smell at the rear of the Martini Bar.  We spoke with a Bar Manager who said it hadn't occurred before and there were people working in the area that evening and the next morning.

We didn't smell it again after that 1 night.  I can't recall a cruise where at some point we have encountered sewage smells in various places around the ships.  Never so back that it interfered with what I was doing.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jelayne said:

On the Jan 13 sailing there was one evening that there was a sewage smell at the rear of the Martini Bar.  

I wonder if the issue of the smell is getting worse - we smelled it on a daily basis last week. 

I mean, I even chose to move to the smoking section near the Sunset Bar to get some fresher air! 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Wasn't a problem on the Dec. 16th cruise, so if it's problematic it's a new issue that should be able to be diagnosed and fixed. Personally I wouldn't worry too much about it. 

I would have worried if it happened on my cruise!   Sorry to hear that for those who encountered that smell.

• Like 4

I was on the January 13 sailing.  I encountered the sewage smell while sitting at the Martini Bar on a couple of the nights.  The bartenders all acknowledged the smell too, but really said nothing other than the guests all comment/complain about it.  There was one night where it was particularly strong so I left the bar.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jcpc said:

I was on the January 13 sailing.  I encountered the sewage smell while sitting at the Martini Bar on a couple of the nights.  The bartenders all acknowledged the smell too, but really said nothing other than the guests all comment/complain about it.  There was one night where it was particularly strong so I left the bar.  

Did they comp anyone for this?   

• Haha 1

On the same cruise and never smelled anything nor did any one else we encountered have any complaints and I assure you we met many, many people.  Interesting that this was the OP’s first post on CC.

Edited by Oville
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Nymich said:

Did they comp anyone for this?   

It never entered my mind that anyone would be expected to be comped anything due to a sewage smell. In my experience it is, unfortunately, a common odor on a lot of ships.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Oville said:

On the same cruise and never smelled anything nor did any one else we encountered have any complaints and I assure you we met many, many people.  Interesting that this was the OP’s first post on CC.

There are 4 people on this thread that experienced it. How many do you want for it to be believable? Was a poster with over 1,000 posts acceptable to you?  How about the one with 8,000 posts? 

Edited by Cruise Junky
  • Like 10

3 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

There are 4 people on this thread that experienced it. How many do you want for it to be believable? Was a poster with over 1,000 posts acceptable to you?  How about the one with 8,000 posts? 

Why are you so hostile to me?  It was our second time on Edge so I can say we have spent many nights in the Martini Bar and we were in touch with many sailing with us. There was never a complaint about MB or anywhere else on the ship with sewage odor.  I haven’t read all the posted reviews but have yet to read one where sewage odor was a big issue. I won’t say that others haven’t experienced it but it has not been a big problem for most.

You seem he££ bent on dissing the Edge but have no plans on sailing on this ship, weird.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Oville said:

Why are you so hostile to me?  It was our second time on Edge so I can say we have spent many nights in the Martini Bar and we were in touch with many sailing with us. There was never a complaint about MB or anywhere else on the ship with sewage odor.  I haven’t read all the posted reviews but have yet to read one where sewage odor was a big issue. I won’t say that others haven’t experienced it but it has not been a big problem for most.

You seem he££ bent on dissing the Edge but have no plans on sailing on this ship, weird.

I’m not dissing Edge. I’m calling you out for claiming 4 posters, some long term posters, are lying. I’m not talking about reviews. There are 4 posters on this thread saying they smelt it. Yet you question the OPs authenticity because they’re new. 

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, Oville said:

I think he's "returning the hostility". I was on the 1/20 sailing and like the OP smelled it several times. Who cares if it's his/her first post? I enjoyed my cruise but this was one of the negatives I experienced. Moving forward if you address the issue instead of trying to discredit a poster you may get a better response.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

I’m not dissing Edge. I’m calling you out for claiming 4 posters, some long term posters, are lying. I’m not talking about reviews. There are 4 posters on this thread saying they smelt it. Yet you question the OPs authenticity because they’re new. 

Guess you missed this in my post “ I won’t say that others haven’t experienced it but it has not been a big problem for most.“  Perhaps I should have said no one I meet had a problem and I meet many.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Oville said:

Guess you missed this in my post “ I won’t say that others haven’t experienced it but it has not been a big problem for most.“  Perhaps I should have said no one I meet had a problem and I meet many.

But it doesn’t matter what you experienced. Others did experience it. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

I think he's "returning the hostility". I was on the 1/20 sailing and like the OP smelled it several times. Who cares if it's his/her first post? I enjoyed my cruise but this was one of the negatives I experienced. Moving forward if you address the issue instead of trying to discredit a poster you may get a better response.

Is Cruise Junkie a he or a she?  I respect Cruise Junky and hope someday we meet on a cruise.

Why didn’t you mention the odor when you posted your review?  

Edited by Oville

Thanks, everyone, for the responses! Seems like some people encountered the sewage smell and some didn’t.  

I didnt have an account before - I’m not a regular cruiser or travel industry professional - but I smelled gross smells on my cruise at different times, so I came to ask the experts. 

And, drat. We still don’t know the source. 

1 minute ago, layingblames said:

Thanks, everyone, for the responses! Seems like some people encountered the sewage smell and some didn’t.  

I didnt have an account before - I’m not a regular cruiser or travel industry professional - but I smelled gross smells on my cruise at different times, so I came to ask the experts. 

And, drat. We still don’t know the source. 

Sorry you had that issue, clearly we didn’t.😉😀

For the record, we were all over the ship - one party on the 9th floor and one suite. It smelled like sewage in the suite-level pool area at the front of the ship, for example. There were seven other people in the pool, and we all had a big convo together about smelling the smell. 

Edited by layingblames

22 minutes ago, Oville said:

Unfortunately that wasn't in your first post which did come across as trying to discredit the OP.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mnocket said:

Unfortunately that wasn't in your first post which did come across as trying to discredit the OP.

Thanks for the welcome, everyone! Appreciate everyone sticking up for my newness and genuine curiosity. Like DaCruiseBug, I had a nice time on my cruise, but this was one of my negatives for the week and, dang it, it was gross. 

• Like 2